Touch Arcade Forums' Game of the Week (August 1)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Aug 2, 2013.

?

What is your favorite new release from the week of August 1st?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. Knightmare Tower

30.6%
  2. Kung Fu Quest: The Jade Tower

12.9%
  3. Lub Vs Dub

6.5%
  4. rymdkapsel

25.8%
  5. Brick Roll

3.2%
  6. Kid Tripp

11.3%
  7. Pivvot

6.5%
  8. Puddle

3.2%
  1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Kid Tripp for me, I find myself coming back to it again and again.

Brick Roll, Pivvot and Lub vs. Dub are also easy recommendations.

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Knightmare Tower for me... Rymdaspel is good but not a winner for me and the Kung Fu Jade thing just wasn't clicking for me despite having some "one more play" addictive elements. I'm just not seeing the game of the week quality in that one (and I grew up with games like Kung Fu Master and so many other arcade classics)!

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    If I had Puddle on iOS, I think it would have been a slam dunk for me.

But with the games I played, it's gotta be Knightmare Tower, which honestly didn't wow me on PC. But somehow roped me in hook, line and sinker into it's addictive web.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    A bit similar to my experience. Perfect game for me, and the length is just right. I finished it in one weekend, and loved every minute of it. The game didn't overstay its fun. The last boss was pretty fun, but a little tough for me at first.

Now to finish the rest of the quests, and to buy the rest of the power ups.

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I wanted to vote for An Alien with a Magnet, but it didn't make it in to the poll aaaaaaaaaaaaarrgghh!!! hate that really, well it was by far the best game this week so I don't vote now, better luck next week.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ...in your view !

There were a lot of good games for me this week. Kung Fu Quest i really like but Brick Roll gets my vote, great retro style graphics, plays well, cheap as chips. Well worth picking up

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Best ones for me this week are Kid Tripp and Knightmare Tower.

I had to give it to Knightmare Tower.

8. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well everybody has a different taste but thats ok, it's a free world we live in, well almost free.

9. Baby nom nom is best I think. But what to pick now? Any of these games freemium or have lites?

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I highly recommend Knightmare Tower, but if you want something free, get Kung Fu Quest... It's freemium.

11. Ok, I will check both out tomorrow and vote for one of them. Too bad baby nom nom released at $3 instead of a buck, then it would have gotten alot more love. Anyway all, get baby nom nom when it goes down to a buck at some point. It is really good, and normally would get my vote.

12. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I know that you're technically correct, but compared to most other "freemium" titles, Kung Fu Quest would benefit with a different description suggesting the old shareware business model somehow...

As its free to play for x amount of levels, then a one time price to unlock the game, it reminds me of the games of my youth and their pricing models.

Maybe a new word could be invented for it in today's world of freemium and premium pricing model?

I don't have any good suggestions myself, everything I can think of sounds silly, but it's a pricing model that I wish more developers would adopt.

13. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    In the end Knightmare Tower got my vote as I spent the most time enjoying it this past week and it wasn't from a lack of good games released this past week.

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Kid Tripp gets my vote. It's been a while since a game has kept my attention this long.

15. Freemium Unlockz

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ha!
    That's certainly apt. :)

17. Tine

Tine Member

Aug 6, 2013
    It certainly is!

18. Tine

Tine Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Baby nom nom

19. I don't understand how baby nom nom didn't make it on, it is clearly the best game imho.

Probably the more premium price tag of $3, anyway, get it all if it goes to a buck, it is awesome.

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #60 Bool Zero, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    I don't think it was the price... Honestly it didn't have the exposure some of the other apps had leading up and while it has intersting art direction it is very overly familiar gameplay that doesn't have an overly wide appeal to begin with (unlike some other genres that seem impervious to saturation and genre fatigue). It doesn't help that we get games like those once every other month and they normally do modest at best; for example Little Viking Dungeon of Doom which I bought upon release in May or Lazy Spelunkers, or the other games that play identical to Baby Nom Nom. Those games are decent but I looked at this and skipped it, not because of the price but because it just doesn't interest me and looks very "been there, done that"...