Touch 2.2.1 firmware problems?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wastedyuthe, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Anyone else had a problem with the latest firmware?

I installed 2.2.1 today and iTunes crashed when trying to sync. So I rebooted my Mac and unplugged the iPod, thinking it may be to do with another update I had today. However, I have just tried to sync my Touch again, and it crashes iTunes everytime!!! This is the first time I have seen this. I have tried a restore from backup, but the firmware stays the same so it still crashes.

Does anyone know how I restore the firmware to the previous version (on a Mac)?

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Can't really help you there. I had a problem with a firmware version too, where the ipod didn't work, and rebooting didn't either. I ended up fixing it by using the cable from my old ipod nano and syncing it

3. What do you mean by 'didn't work'? I didn't boot up?

4. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    you know that screen that appears when you are syncing a new firmware? the one with the itunes logo and the cable? that screen appeared and itunes said "error # .... occurred" so I un-plugged it and I couldn't do anything with the ipod because I could't get it to reboot and the computer wouldn't recognize it.
    It didn't crash itunes though. If I were you I'd back up the itunes folder and re-install it.

5. Hmm. I don't know. iTunes works perfectly with everything else, and synced perfectly until I updated the firmware, so why should I assume iTunes is the problem? I would just rather re-install the previous Touch firmware and leave this latest one alone.
    After all, I am not the only one with problems with it. Other users have reported problems on the Apple support forums, such as apps not loading since the update, and other crashing issues. However, I don't think anyone else has had it actually crash iTunes.

6. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Have you tried with a different computer? I'm not sure if the firmware files get deleted in the "trash"

7. Well I have been Googling to find out how to restore to a previous firmware. I need to download it first as a file saved on my Desktop, then when the Touch is in recovery mode connected to iTunes (which is how I have it atm) I CMD-click 'restore' and select the firmware file.
    But now the problem is, where do I download that file from?

8. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
  9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    That bites.
    My update caused an error 1604 and I had to restore my Touch, but didn't crash my iTunes. I know I'm not offering any help, but I feel your pain and frustration.

Without trying to pour any salt on your wounds, or be disrespectful, you are on the most updated version of iTunes?

10. #10 wastedyuthe, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks, but that's 2.1. I need 2.2 (latest one that crashes is 2.2.1). I did a Google for it and found a link from Arn's own MacRumours forum here. Hope it works. Still downloading.

Yes mate. Latest version.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with this download. Thanks for the concern.

11. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008

no problem judy.:D

12. #12 wastedyuthe, Feb 2, 2009
    Hehe!

That file I dl'd didn't end up being a ipsw file- it's a folder with various files in it, but not one was a ipsw. Trying from another site. Bloomin' hell! I have better things to do than mess about with this!

[edit] found out what the problem is- it's Safari. It automatically extracts the file when it should be left as is. I am using Firefox to download it instead.

13. #13 wastedyuthe, Feb 2, 2009
    I don't believe this!

I have successfully reverted back to the previous firmware, and the restoring from a backup began only for iTunes to crash again!!

I am now restoring once again (to completely wipe it clean again) and trying a backup from 2nd Jan, as I am wondering if the data has been corrupted in the last backup.

[edit] crashed AGAIN. So now we have found out it is nothing to do with corrupted data. So now, perhaps you were right Pablo- I am attempting to solve the problem by re-installing iTunes (library files all backed-up just in case).

[edit2] MAN! Re-installed iTunes and it has still crashed while syncing! HELP!

14. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Try in a different computer, or try to contact apple see if they can resolve the issue.

15. #15 wastedyuthe, Feb 2, 2009
    I have just tried syncing with my other Macbook and it is doing fine- no crashing at all!

So, is it worth completely wiping iTunes from my Macbook including it's preference files etc (I have my library files backed up) before re-installing it?

[edit] just tried the above. still crashing, even with new iTunes preference files etc. I don't believe it. Well it's 11:30pm and I am tired out from all this, so I'm off to bed. Tomorrow, I will try a Time Machine back-up to restore the whole computer to yesterday. If it still does it, then I shall give Apple a call and give them an ear-full!

16. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I'm guessing it's your only option right?

17. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    This problem has happened to me too. It crashes iTunes every time I try to sync. It took me 5 times for my sync to work before iTunes crashed

18. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    so how'd you solve the problem?

19. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    am i the only one who's mail app is not reading emails correctly? some of the words go to the sides so i cant finish reading. if im the only one i'll try restoring i guess. :(

20. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I reset the settings in iTunes