iPad Totomi - new puzzle for $9.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    Totomi is a new totem-building puzzle action game.

What makes me wonder is not only the game itself but mainly the price: $9.99.

Not that a publisher should not charge what he thinks it's fair but it's just unusual in AppStore such price tag for a puzzle game.

Anyone? :)

Just in time. There's a flash version in the official site: http://www.totomi.com/

2. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    No one rich enough here to spend on a puzzle?! :D

It has an interesting concept: tiles (animals and food... whatever) can be combined to create different chains and so on... Well it sounds interesting at least for me but I'm a casual puzzle lover. :)

If I decide to buy it I'll post here a comment so you can decide to at least "snip" this game for the price drop. ;)

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Seems like it could be fun, but I don't have $10 to spend right now. Not saying the dev should lower the price, it looks like it could be worth it, but it's not just in my range right now =(

4. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Well... I did not resist.

I decided not to eat at McDonalds and have just a salad at home (hum... It seems a win/win situation here :D ).

The gameplay (of course) is the exact of the flash demo (see initial post). So you can have an exact idea of the game before purchasing it.

Its production is comparable to Critter Crunch.

Everything is really well done. Graphics, sounds, music, animations, bonus system, tutorial and the gameplay itself that is a lot better with the iPhone interface.

There are two basic modes. (1) Classic, that has 3 sub-modes; and, (2) Arcade. you can check some details in the game site.

In the iPhone version there are several animals and they interact with each other in a different way (always indicated by icons in the game so you don't have to memorize such details). But there are some foods too and they also interact with each animal in a particular way.

So there a lot of things going on and you have to handle them in order to achieve the game mode goal.

It's an intense game, in a good way.

When I had my Palm I purchased some simple games for $14 or even $19. This kind of game, with such great production, worth the $9.99 for sure IMO.

It's better save 10 of the $0.99 and get something like this. :)

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Interesting... after buying BIA, i've realised that unless I really want the game, It's better to just buy 10 $.99 games (or any combination of inexpensive games) then to buy one big-ticket item... so yes, i regret buying BIA.. too bad I can't just give it away to charity at this point.. kinda like Salvation Army... oh well :/

6. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I didn't like it too... :(

At least this game you can test first (flash demo).

7. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I'm glad we can identify! I'm definitely going to give that flash version a try! :D

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    after playing the flash version I have to say that I am not impressed, I don't really think its worth 10 buck imp.

9. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    NP. :)

The iPhone game experience is better and the game grows after playing it more than once.

One flaw I miss to write about: the game does not play in any orientation you want. For such price tag it should provide both landscape orientations and not only the volume buttons down (the worst IMO).

PS: I like your signature... Days since last purchase?! That's very creative! :D

10. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Here's one of the first Tatomi review (I think). It got 8 (Silver) at PocketGamer.

Right now it is $4.99.

11. shkudt

shkudt Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Moscow
    ok, sold for 4,99$
    I need fresh puzzle game review on my site ;)
    downloading right now...

12. voldemort

voldemort Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I think 1.99$ is reasonable ..

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
  14. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I find it interesting as there is only 1 review for this game which has 4 stars, whereas, the Overall Rating is 3.5 stars. What is up with that....

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I think this combined written reviews with the app uninstall review prompt.

16. who spends $10 at mcdonald's ?!

just get 2 double cheeseburgers for $2

17. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008

I spend such amount and sometimes even more... Twins here! :D

18. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hmm, I'm weakening and my "buy finger" is getting more itchy since it is only $4.99 but I have a few questions:

If I understand it correctly Classic Story Mode is essentially a Mission Mode and Classic Marathon is an extended version of the free web game, right? What are the other modes? What are the Arcade Modes about? I really enjoyed the free web demo but am just ASSUMING the full game has more interesting things to offer.

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    The entire game has basically the same game play and two MAIN game modes (tutorials available):

Classic Mode: all blocks, more complicated logic. It has 3 game modes: Story Mode, Marathon (timed play, you can select one of the 8 levels to play) and Junk Collector (goal is collect junk blocks in 2 min).

Arcade: less blocks with simplified game logic. You play until time runs out.

:)

20. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does Classic Marathon have a bigger variety of objects than in the free web demo or is it really the exact same thing? Does Marathon ever get to a point where you are dealing with all 30 of the game's creature/items in a single level?