Universal Total War Battles: KINGDOM (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Interesting,you're not using 2 ranged units?Btw,how are greatsword knights?I'm planning to get them eventually and use them instead of light cavalry.

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #122 Quoad, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    In which context, I should probably add that ranged-heavy setups are the only ones that consistently kick my ass. I should probably get around to doing something about it, but the prospect of adding in a l1 unit is a bit too galling.

Greatswords? Erm, alright. My longswords seem to be the best of my frontline units, even though their stats don't seem to justify it. They last longer and (usually) grind out more units than either of the others. And I don't think that's entirely attributable to the crossbows behind them.

Greataxes almost invariably take heavy damage or die. The greatswords are, tbf, much more resilient than them. But I still have a general preference for my longswords.

Edit: I've just taken on a generic 'Challenging' mission. Buckets of three-star greataxes (I assume this refers to their numbers rather than any specific leveling up, as they always seem pretty dire for a three-star unit), pikemen, and a few swordsmen.

Think they got fairly evenly distributed across the my three rows. Longswords ended up taking out three complete units - down to three men. Greatswords took out two units - down to five. This taps into a general sense that I've got, that greatswords just don't pack *quite* the same punch as their longswordier cousins. Edit2: though as I type that I realise that, duh, of course my longswords do have crossbows behind them. I keep on forgetting this.

3. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Update!Wohoooooo!

4. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I tried to get into this game. The combat wasn't very appealing to me but I liked the kingdom side of it but it's literally a play for two minutes and don't come back for a day. Unless I was doing something wrong but I doubt it. The water was always irritating though and you would think being king your advisors would tell you what would happen if you dam up a hex, but no they don't.

I gave it about 3 weeks. I really wanted to like this game and I probably would if it wasn't so much sit and wait.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ooo.

Ducks (!)

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Where the hell are my update ducks?

I want ducks, dammit.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Understandable response, tbf.

If you don't like the combat, I can see the game losing its appeal pretty quickly.

8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Finally deleted, with some sadness! Felt like I kinda ran out of game, after uncovering all six areas. Build more bases and gain more resources - for what?

And looks like there are some worthy memory hogs just arrived in the app store, well deserving of the memory space...

9. Pupsader

Pupsader Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Viking Explorers Update

There's a new update that is going to drop anytime now. There is a new building type, the Viking Barracks, and you can now use the same Viking units already found in the game (not mercenaries like the Picts). These units have 3 skill options each!

Campaign is finally unlocked! You can explore new islands as part of a new weekly Viking Outpost competition. The islands come with a Rank 3 castle so you can start building right away. It's going to emphasize the sandbox element of the game by allowing you to plunder a new area without disrupting your "pristine" realm at home.

Finally there's a ton of quality of life improvements. Unit skill resets, a connection quality indicator for duels, preview an opponent's army before the duel begins, and more.

The devs are super-responsive to feedback. They were answering a lot of questions on Twitch earlier today. They know there's some pent-up demand for more PvP options.

By the way, if you check out the US Announcement Trailer, you see something very interesting from the pre-release version of the game:

[​IMG]

I think the updates Creative Assembly have put out so far are meaty and indicate that a lot is still coming. If this was a failing title, we'd have one update at best—the features they couldn't cram in at release—which was the Life in the Realm Update. They're pushing forward. Personally, I think they are still laying the foundation for an all-out medieval warfare sim.

There's a lot of life in this game yet!

10. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I've played this on a casual basis since launch, but I've realised over the last few weeks that I'm just logging in and harvesting fields out of habit, running one battle a day for the 3x multiplier.

It's become a chore and I don't have any goals that I care to aim for. I gave it a 5 star review, and I stand by that, but it's not a long-term game for me.