Universal Total War Battles: KINGDOM (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    70th top grossing game in subgenre "strategy" is doing well...?

I'd be interested to see the stats on that! Certainly, intimations on TA not so long ago that income rapidly tailed off. Maybe that was premium, though!

Have just desecrated half my world in order to find one silver deposit for a particularly picky master. Grr!

One to go, before opening up area 5... Currently in winter. Tempted to lower a couple of dykes and flood the heck out of a couple of mining areas in order to meet the "60 wetlands" (or whatever) requirement! :hmm:

2. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I think if I had a game at 70 in strategy I could safely retire. That's probably the biggest grossing category with Clash of Clans, Game of War, etc. and about a billion clones.

Vainglory is at 65, probably the most successful MOBA, Star Wars Commander is at 55, even Walking Dead with that powerful brand is only at 30. There are some truly craptacular games in the top 30, it's beyond me how some of them become so popular.

Total War is probably too complex for mass market. It takes patience, thought and a bit of intelligence (which is in short supply these days). Anyway, there's about 5 of us here keeping it alive. :)

3. Palanthian

Feb 19, 2016
    I really think they should change the icon. It's brown, it doesn't look appealing, it looks boring. They could draw people in by marketing the game a little better.

Also, the screenshots used just make it look like another Game of War clone. People EXPECT Game of War clones, they would never guess that Total War plays out like it does.

4. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    That's what I did to get the 50 Wetlands, it worked splendidly! Flood, fulfill demand, dam, profit. When you unlock region 5 please let us know if you get dramatically more difficult Invaders -- I am pretty sure it scales with # of regions now. So, if you are like me and have not developed (or even established) Castles in each region, you might be at a severe disadvantage until you build up.

I have a feeling (unconfirmed) that this game is doing a lot better in other countries. The next patch is going to localize more languages too. I am a bit nervous the game is going to monetize long-term though. I've certainly thrown a more than reasonable amount of cash to support the game.

I hate the monopoly that Clash of Cartoons enjoys. If this game doesn't succeed I will have some kind of mid-life mobile gamer crisis.

5. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
  6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I've currently got a pretty much maxed-out set of paid-for L2 troopers, with aspirations towards a couple of L3 units.

So far, I've yet to hit a set of raiders that haven't been easy.

Expect that to change, though!

7. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Thanks. Just finished planning 3/4 of my Castles... I was just limping along on 2 mishmash L1 Castles this whole time. :eek: It's gonna feel good to use all this stone I've stockpiled!

8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    The only real bit of city planning I've done is to ensure that each city has two of the military units I'm using. Because of the Max +5 bonus each city can only contribute to two units.

Beyond that... Would be interested to see what you come up with :D I suspect there's an optimal balance of "duff" / empty military buildings and mansions / houses to keep blacksmiths staffed up. But I honestly haven't found the will or the inclination to work out how the timers interact!

My most recent city is certainly overstocked with housing - 17 surplus craftsmen atm?!

9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    If that's all you've had (?) then presumably you've also been limping along on l1 units and resource gatherers?

If so, ouch! l3 quarries and sheep farms (in particular) are a godsend. As are l2 and l3 military units!

Fwiw... I reckon that for *any* unit of l2 or above, the most efficient use of xp is to upgrade ASAP to l3. Doing so instantly gains extra units - think it adds 1/7 to the strength of any unit (in the form of additional men) for 500xp, and any subsequent xp spend then adds +1 to a given stat for l2+1/7 units. So any SUBSEQUENT xp spend is worth 1/7 more.

Whereas otherwise, any stat bump will only apply to l2 numbers of units. And I can't see any way that 500xp spent on stat bumps could yield a 1/7 gain in unit strength.

Requires more resources! And, tbh, I didn't twig to this until 4 of my units were already l3.

But worth thinking about, IMO!

10. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    #110 garbul, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Yes exactly... The placement of the Tavern is what gets interesting since you can only have 1 per city. Since you can only field up to 8 units at one time (with 1 reserved Artillery) that means to achieve a full +5 bonus you only need 4 Castles/Cities configured that way. Of course, you could do all 6 cities that way and gain some flexibility with your armies. OR you go the economy route.

A big Blacksmith/Mansion city is one idea worth exploring, the other is Harbors! :D Here's a preview of my economic/Harbor city. With Captain Jack my plan is to convert a lot of the food to silver. Each harbor is going to have 9 deep water tiles for a decent chance of Fish each year, for a total of 27. You can see the Tavern there in the center. Ha = Harbor, H = House.

The other things to consider are Orders and Markets. You can only have 9 churches, and 3 active Orders. So to really min/max your army, ideally, you can surround your main 3 Orders (your rank 3 Church/Cathedrals) with houses to get the full Order bonus. With this city I've got two churches surrounded by houses or mansions (still working out the elevations..) for 2 fully powered Orders, and 3 fully maxed Harbors.

For end game it's probably going to be important to have the full Market benefit (especially with my plan for lots of food and silver production). You can have 10 I believe, so this city will have 3 well-appointed markets. Finally this town should max out at 28 buildings which I believe is the max for Rank 3 Castle?

Attached Files:

11. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Yes good point on the l3 units! All resource gathering has been l1, alas, but no more! :eek:

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Impressed by your town planning :D

Can I ask - anyone know the unlock requirements for zone 6?

CBA to build a road to the watchtower yet, but curious as to how fearsome the requirements are.

(Haven't even gotten around to building a castle in zone 5 yet - looks like it might benefit from a bit of winter time ice breaking...)

13. Palanthian

Feb 19, 2016
    If I remember rightly, it was down to PVP ranking - and as I don't do much PVP, or have the desire for it until I'm maxed, I just paid the tribute.

I'm level 60 now, so no more XP for me. Just ranking up my troops and maxing my buildings.

14. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #114 Quoad, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Interesting!

I've got a decent set of L3 units, so might be inclined to give this one a punt :hmm:

Edit: seems worth noting that maxing out crossbowmen requires somewhere north of 5,100 xp, just for the leap from l2 to l3 (Max each), and just on defence and ranged stat bumps.

If you're really not inclined to pvp until maxed out, then more power to your elbow.

I suspect that could take some time, though!

15. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Duelling rank 12 :thumbs:

Luckily, I happen to be... Duelling rank 12.

Castle time :thumbs:

(Though I'm beginning to wonder what to do with all these resources...)

16. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I currently have 313 gold,how should I spend my gold?I'm still crafting trebuchet btw,should I get crossbowmen or composite/longbow archers?

17. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Congrats!! :D I was going to post the Renown demand but you already fulfilled it!

Warning to all: there is a 5 hex limit for distance away from a Castle. The rank of the castle does not change the distance! Going back to the drawing board on my plans since they were a "sprawling" 7 hexes away...

18. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Longbow are free, aren't they?

The composite is the one unit I haven't got. Would be curious to hear!

Crossbows are pretty decent all rounders - but they need a lot of attention. Can only fire straight forward and can't fire through fighting infantry. So need to change their focus every time a frontline unit is killed.

They're also not very fast shooters.

But they're surprisingly decent in melee. And have shields.

If you're after ranged units, tbh I suspect composite are better. If you're after an all rounder, I suspect crossbows.

Would welcome any corrections though!

19. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    My bad,longbow archers are free indeed,I forgot about javelins throwers.I've got composite bow archers,will leave more,imps once I get them to rank 2 at least.
    Btw,does anybody know how long wounded units need to heal themselves once they reach rank 3?10 minutes or more?

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #120 Quoad, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    C.15mins?

Tempted to say 16. Will check.

Javelins, ime, are sh1te.

Edit: [​IMG]

Everyone* died. So I'd take that as 15mins :thumbs:

*except one swordsman.