Universal Total War Battles: KINGDOM (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Should I get catapult (mangonel) or trebuchet?Trebuchet seems doper due to it's explosive effect and the fact that it can destroy any unit from heavy armored knights to cavalry.

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Will come back to you shortly.

I've got both and, tbh, have been meaning to explore this more robustly (as if I get composite bowmen, I'll drop one of em.)

Erm. My ballpark experience has been that they're not tremendously different units tho. Both take longer to charge than the ballista. Ime, the non-explosive one *seems* to do more damage to armoured units.

Would also consider whether archers might be a better gold investment. My working theory is that artillery never sucks up damage and doesn't benefit from xp. So I *think* bowmen make for a longer-lasting army that's likely to become even more useful in later game.

I haven't got round to buying the IAP I'd need to get composite bowmen though. Not yet!

3. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #83 Quoad, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Just fired the fiery explosion thing and the rock thing at 14 archers in direct succession.

Flamey ball -> 1 death.

Rock -> 6 more.

This feels quite typical of my experience with em, though will try to keep a closer eye on their victims.

Edit: ok, I've just had the exact opposite experience against Picts. Flamey ball wiped out 10/21 troops in each of 6 spear / archer units. Rock knocked out 4-6 in each of another three!

Wonder if Picts are "less armoured"?!

4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Note the absence of celebrating soldiers.

*Everyone* died :D

5. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    LOL! :DI have had one knight survive before but not a dead man's party.

While I generally agree on the damage soaking of not using 3 Artillery, I think it's an interesting option. I just beat the last mission of Robunhood on Insane with just 3 Mangonels, a bunch of Knights (some upgrades, but all Rank 1) and some Swordsmen/Medium Cavalry thrown in for good measure. I picked up the Veteran Tactician which took down all the archer units. It would be fun to duel someone with 3 Mangonels and Fire Arrows. :)

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Five mastercrafts.

310 materials.

3 days.

One +2 armour :facepalm:

7. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    I hear similar things from the Steam forums about Master Craft. Probably worth it for the silver bracelets, but the others, maybe not so much...

I FINALLY unlocked the Pict Warchief, my first Master. PRO TIP: do NOT change the master you trying to fulfill before you are ready. You'll lose all progress towards that master and it will reset.

Another pro tip. :D When unlocking the Pict Warchief you don't have to win the battle. You get credit just for killing a complete Pict unit. So I've intentionally tried to lose battles, so my missions don't reset and I have a steady flow of challenging Pict units to fight.

8. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ah.

That makes sense of the 5*mastercraft!

Five consecutive blue bars.

Ouch.

Previous attempt - alternating master / standard craft (somehow) resulted in 2*blue, 3*green.

Now having a shot at re-master-crafting armour :thumbs:

Determined to get a +6 armour for my greataxes!

10. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I am working on this beggar.

Up to 32/40.

Lucky to get 2 pict units (amidst a horde of Vikings) every five challenging levels.

Have previously wiped all progress on same, bc id thought I hit a glitch - thanks to confusing Vikings w/ Picts, and thinking that the pict slaying wasn't being counted (ouch!)

Reckon I've got enough things going on to unlock another 3 or 4 masters with minimal input, once this one is done.

But I'll be scuppered if I'm backing out of this master quest again!

11. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    K gathering crafting material (the one that you get for shearing sheep,skinning cattle,etc) getting a little bit annoying,you have to wait,wait,wait...not sure if it's worth it or not.

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    What level?

Tbh, I've got 3 mahoosive sheep farms and a couple of scratty sheepy odds and ends. And, tbh, crafting materials aren't feeling like such an issue.

Don't kill in winter. (Sheep expand their reach / range massively in Autumn so... I think... not culling them in winter will leave far bigger flocks in spring / summer). Give each farm at least 2 hexes space in a couple of directions. And crafting materials will begin coming in.

Don't get me wrong, it's tedious as heck. But there shouldn't be *many* delays between spring and Autumn that're triggered by a lack of materials.

13. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Also, everything is incremental. A +2 really is an ok bonus on a unit. A +6 is tremendous. It's marginal gains, for the most part - given you're only likely to have 6-8 units you really use and (I guess) it's meant to be pretty open ended, that's a long end game to get a maxed out set of troops.

14. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Do you know if the sheep survive the winter? Since the wheat/grass decay I heard they starve to death if you don't butcher them. Haven't tested this since I butchered in Autumn last round

15. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Don't give up, it seems like a lot of material in the early game but like Quoad says once you unlock more of the map and get upgraded Sheep Farms the mats will start rolling in.

16. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    As long as you don't over-populate the grassland, they do fine, just no shearing.

I'm currently level 57 and maxing out my level 2 troop upgrades, then it's up to level 3. Pledges have now cropped up, massive amounts of investment (5,000 of each resource) just to reduce one church skill cooldown by one second (up to a maximum of 10).

This game will stay installed, no doubt, but I can see the endgame looming. They need to make this properly multiplayer, with alliances and some form of online communication.

I'm looking forward to their next (first) update.

I also predict that they will release other, similar versions of this game. I envision a Total War Battles: Empire in the future (Rome-based). The possibilities are endless.

17. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    I think you are quite right--this is but the first of the Total War games for mobile.

Interesting that we have a "missing" building in the Military tab on the far right. My guess is, related to Campaign mode which will be Duels but with some kind of territory element.

18. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Implies two missing landscape options, and one missing resource gatherer?

On which basis, I'm a bit unconvinced!

Any ideas how this is playing out on mobile? Apparently panned on steam, which leaves me wondering how viable (or tempting) a sustained mobile franchise will be.

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I'm not seeing it (after two full scans) in the app stores 150 top grossing games...

(Edit: I recall Freeblade doing something similar - having a look a week or so post release, and seeing it at 140 or sth.)

20. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I think it's probably doing okay. I'm in the UK store, under Strategy it's currently 70 top grossing. It's behind DomiNations, which I rage quit last week, but still doing quite well.

Other reasonably popular games which I play, such as Rival Kingdoms and Dawn of Steel, are not currently in the top grossing list but appear there every now and then (when they have special events or sales, most likely).

I started Freeblade myself last month, only level 17 so far but I enjoy dipping in and out of it. Very satisfying when the mood takes me! Slow to progress with only casual play though.