Universal Total War Battles - (by SEGA) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 18, 2012.

1. limmyfox

limmyfox Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    #121 limmyfox, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    Ewww. However, seeing that it is on the ios, it is pretty entertaining as it is. It would be pretty amazing if it were anything like the TW on pc but I guess this is acceptable as well. Also someone said the developers have already stated that this isn't the same game as TW on pc. Maybe misleading marketing, I suppose.

Pretty hard. I was getting annoyed at the first few mission itself. It was something along the lines of "place 6 oddly shaped buildings in this small map with limited spaces". I was annoyed because this isn't the kind of game I was paying for (gunxsword above hated the game because of this, but you need to get through it to learn the basics as the actual battles ahead are awesome but tough). But I slogged it out, solved it, and realised that it was essential for me to learn that building placement is important especially when sometimes you just need more money or wood or something and you need to know how to place your buildings better in a tight map.

In the later levels, it should be all about the battles. I think this is a RTS/TBS hybrid, in which you have time to sit and think and figure out stuff before committing to an attack (you could also reload with better tactics). Also, the IAP isn't necessary at all, and instead of making the game significantly easier, it merely makes the game slightly easier. :D Which is good.

2. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    strategy

On another note, which is better: gunners or archers? Or do you use both? I notice gunners are more accurate if unblocked, so putting them behind someone just makes them weaker.

And what are the criterias to get 3 stars?

I also wish there's a way to show unit range... .

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    @limmyfox
    I didn't and does not hate the puzzle element -_-. I just don't like being forced to play a campaign full of puzzle scenarios that's all.
    That being said, I find it fun to miraculously fit the building pieces together.

Gunners are better in situations when first strike advantage is needed. They fire fast, so their initial shot can immediately eliminate a few opponents ahead of any actual confrontation.

Go archers all the way for any other situation, esp defense. They have a much higher rate of fire. Plus, enemies with armor (according to the game) are not listed to be able to deflect arrows.

4. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+3]TOTAL WAR BATTLES[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    18/04/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this quick-fire, tactical combat balanced real time strategy set in a beautifully illustrated Medieval Japan?

[size=+3][thread=131240]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #125 L.Lawliet, Apr 23, 2012
    I think you'd like it. It takes some thinking. Despite my love for the Samurai units, they can't win a battle alone. You need proper placement and proper support. Plus the EXP missions will use some brain but aren't as hard as the main campaign so it should give a good difference in difficulty.

Depends on what stuff you use. I love using Samurai, Archers, and gunners. So I bought 1 of each first and then I got up to 3 Samurai. Now I'm going for decreased support skill times.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Gunners. Archers are a very close second but I think the gunners are a more legitimate threat if placed in the best positions.

Gunners to archers, gunners will always win. I do believe they have longer range and more damage which makes a lot of sense. Of course, if there's a rock or something there, your gunners are useless. If you place units in front of the gunners like I always do, enemy archers have to shoot through them first. Then as they do, the gunners will mow them down. This is my "bulletproof" strategy =p. Works even better with the elite samurai since they're practically an arrow / bullet shield. There's also an EXP mission where you have to kill 5 elite archer units. I was able to summon elite gunners and 1 to 1, the archers died. After I ran out of elites, I used regular gunmen to shoot the archers that were on the other side of the map which was divided by a water barrier. The archers would've died before getting in range of other elite archers.

Archers are easier in that they don't need the clear line of sight so that's their biggest advantage aside from firing off faster. But generally I like using both but when choosing one, I always go with Gunners.

6. Ako Vendetta

Ako Vendetta Member

Apr 19, 2012
    #126 Ako Vendetta, Apr 23, 2012
    Finished the campaign. Its difficult at spots, esoecially the timed missions. But if you soend your points wisely its not so bad. I wouldnt waste points on unit upgrades beyond the first tier, once you get the Promote Order, you can upgrade units during a mission.
    (edit: just noticed LLawliet already posted above about this)
    As for the question about gunns and archers, you need both. Guns shoot farther but need clear line of sigh, archers not so far, but can shoot over things. Guns are slow but powerful.

As for the sendai thing, im a tool and didnt read correctly, its a tie in to the pc game that gives you a code to unlock a faction. Ughh.

Does need a skirmish mode though, i now agree. You can replay missions, the Ai will play differently each time, but thats about it.

I found i had more than enough EXP to upgrade what i felt would benefit me most, with some left over. Only reason to go for iap is if you are impatient or want to max out everything.

Fantastic game though, really like the genre blend. Pace seems slow at first, but when you get to later missions, I was glad it was. It can get pretty hectic managing ninja and your troops at the same time, especially when navigating them around buildings. You can only field 9 troops max (leadership upgrade) at a time. It felt pretty balanced though.

Had some control issues on a 4gen ipod, frequently found I had to tap things up to 3 times toget them to register (grabbing resources, highlighting units) made some things more difficult than they ought to be.

Hope the add more to it. Great start, needs a bit of work, but there is tons of potential here. I really enjoyed my playthrough.

7. Ako Vendetta

Ako Vendetta Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Just a thought, a simple solution to the lack of a skirmish mode would be to let you replay all the maps, but with everything unlocked and both sides starting from scratch, and the only goal is to kill the enemy general. All the maps have pretty decent layouts, it can't be that difficult. Even if the AI needs a leg up by having a few buildings to start, id be fine wih that.

8. limmyfox

Sep 11, 2011
    Kinda agree with gunxsword in that archers make good defence. I really find gunners tend to miss more when someone is standing in front of them as a meatshield. However, I've seen gunners single handedly kill a bunch of things, with a support of a cavalry or something on the side.

The sendai thing is a big disappointment... .

Regarding elites, when you upgrade them, do you get like 1 only for the entire map or something?

9. Ako Vendetta

Ako Vendetta Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Yes and No, up to your first three builds of that troop are elite (number depends on tier unlocked), then vanilla after that). However, later in the campaign when you get to focus orders, one of those is Promotion, and it turns ronin into vanilla samurai, and samurai into elite samurai for example.

Caveat is that Promote is only available in the later missions. You won't get to use it in replaying earlier missions.

The game definately need skirmish AND online multiplayer. As I see it, there isnt a lot of replayability, at least not $7 worth IMO. There is a little bit, but not much.

10. otosan

otosan New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Is it me or the IAP button is inaccessible? or do i need to pass specific mission 1st? i'm on 3rd point of second chapter..

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    It always worked for me. Maybe something wrong with your connection?

12. wineekt

wineekt Member

Apr 17, 2012
    It looks like the boardgame called Samurai. Lovin' it :)

13. otosan

otosan New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I'm still not sure, i try delete the app and re-install it, now everything worked... weird.. =.=

14. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Congratulations !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[size=+3]TOTAL WAR BATTLES[/size]

[size=+2]Touch Arcade Forums
    Game of the Week
    18/04/2012
    [/size]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]Thanks a lot for your votes![/size]

Check out this week's new releases
    [thread=118476]HERE[/thread]

Start nominating your 25042012 TAGOTW
    [thread=132573]HERE[/thread]

Visit 2012 TAGOTW Hall of Fame and Archives
    [thread=119439]HERE[/thread]

- DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AGAIN -

15. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe

GREAT! Congrats! Now I def. will give it a try.

16. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Skirmish mode incoming!!

Great news, guys!

SKIRMISH MODE!!

From 148apps.com:
    April 25th 2012 - Version 1.1
    As though being excellent wasn’t enough of a reason to play Total War Battles: Shogun, SEGA has just sweetened the deal. The developer has just announced that players who complete the campaign will receive a Steam code that will let them download the Sendai Clan Pack for Total War: Shogun 2 – Fall of the Samurai. So by beating the iOAnd supposing even that isn’t enough, a new update for Total War Battles: Shogun will be coming out soon that adds a skirmish mode. This mode will let players jump right into the action against an AI set at a difficulty of their choosing, and grant them access to all of the units from the campaign as well as new legendary units that could very well turn the tide of battle.

Read more: http://www.148apps.com/reviews/total-war-battles-shogun-review/#ixzz1tRNIQ77f

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    oh HELLZ YEAH!!! Thanks for the info!! =oD

I'm so freak'n excited!!!!! This is gonna put this into my top 3 fav rts titles

18. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    They were really fast to add this mode, which is really sweet! Can`t wait :x

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    TOLD YA SO! lol :)

I'm also curious about this legendary units idea. Sounds awesome.

20. BillEl

BillEl New Member

May 6, 2012
    tearing the dragon's claws

Any pointers on how to beat this level? It's the one where you have to kill 5 elite archers.

Seems to be a bit of a pain in the arse.

Thanks!