Top Ten Games of ALL TIME... with a twist.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by csklimowski, Sep 10, 2010.

1. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #1 csklimowski, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    Hello all! Seeing IGN's top 25 list made me think about what my favorite iPhone/iPod games of all time were.

So, I decided to make a top 10 list.

I started by compiling a list of the best games on my iPod. I ended up with about 30 games, all of great quality. Trust me, it was difficult comparing the games from entirely different genres, but I managed to come up with ten that I absolutely love. Organizing them by quality was an even more difficult undertaking, but after much deliberation, I have finally compiled a list that I am proud of.

So here's how this is going to go:

Starting tomorrow, September 9, I will post the games, one by one, from worst to best. Every day, I will post one game, and my reasons for choosing it. On September 19, I'll have a complete list which I will compile into this post along with the honorable mentions. Of course, if you disagree, I welcome you to post your thoughts.

AT LAST, THE COMPLETED LIST!

#10: Tilt to Live
    #9: Rolando 2: The Quest for the Golden Orchid
    #8: Helsing's Fire
    #7: Peggle
    #6: Super QuickHook
    #5: Meteor Blitz
    #4: Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
    #3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    #2: Jet Car Stunts

#1: Space Miner: Space Ore Bust
    Quite simply the best the App Store has to offer. I could say that Space Miner is a combination between Asteroids and an RPG, but that wouldn’t do it justice. Instead, I urge everyone reading this to check it out right now, if you don’t already have it. It’s very hard to describe what makes Space Miner so great. Is it the highly polished graphics? The hilarious story? The perfectly tuned upgrade-focused gameplay? The rush you get when the banjo music starts playing, and you can’t wait to kick some robobutt? A combination of all of these factors soon made it apparent to me that this was the greatest game I had played since getting my iPod.

Honorable Mentions:

geoDefense
    Land Air Sea Warfare
    I Dig It Expeditions
    Sword & Poker
    Carcassonne
    Labyrinth 2
    Dark Nebula: Episode 2
    Snail Mail

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    i sense a flaming coming soon....

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #3 Somerandomdude, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    There's going to be impending flaming. If you do pick Phoenix Wright for number 1 (which you should), there's going to be flaming. And if you don't, well, there's going to be quite a bit of flaming.

I just noticed that that was my 4000th post... I'm not quite sure if that was a waste of such a post or not... Oh well.

4. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    Flame shield... up. I'm ready. Besides, the TA community are good people... right?

5. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Only if you give us cookies :D

6. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    But I have cookies disabled... :(
    Hehe

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Until the Great Phoenix Wright Debate is brought into question. Then it becomes every man for himself.

8. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    On second, thought, I'll bring my chainsaw too.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    May want to grab your "The Thinker" statue/clock combo as well.

10. csklimowski

Dec 30, 2009
    #10 csklimowski, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Don't worry, I will.

...hey, are you hinting at something? No matter how hard you try, I will not reveal whether PW is on the list.

11. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Nah, I already know it's on the list. If it's not, I'll be incredibly shocked.

And I'm hinting at something... Maybe a reference to a game that should be on the list? Hmm.... ;)

12. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    If phoenix wright is not on this list, I will do bad things

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Agreed 100%. I'm still confused as to why it wasn't on IGN's top 25 list, and some of the games they put up there did make it... Uggh...

Yeah, this list had better be much better than IGN's.

14. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    I agree, the lack of Phoenix Wright on IGN's list was horrible, and I, like many others, will do bad things if Phoenix Wright is not on this list.

15. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    IGN's list blows. But it is just one guy's opinion and is not advertised as perfect. I'd say my top 5 is pretty generic for this site.

1. Jet Car Stunts
    2. Hook Champ
    3. Tilt to Live
    4. Sword and Poker
    5. Space Miner

I didn't include Phoenix Wright because that's just a port, rather than a game specifically designed for the ipod. But if I to list it, I'd say it would edge out Tilt to Live for the third spot.

16. GCC

GCC Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I think we as a comunity should come up with our own top 25. It get pretty heated though.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Whats up with the Jet Car obsession? Seriously?

18. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Go play it, then see if you're still asking that question. Obviously, if you're asking such a thing, you haven't played it yet.

19. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    First of all I'm looking forward to the list, csklimowski!

Anyways, that really isn't a bad idea. If we can sticky a "Best Games" thread, that would awesome as a sort of reference for new and old users alike. We could split it into the different game categories available, and list out the Top 10 in each. Then we could list some honorable mentions. I'd totally love that.

20. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    This platform is probably the hardest of all to make top game lists for, because there are just SO MANY GAMES, and every day we get new ones.

I think it might be easier to keep top lists based on genres. Like, best puzzle games, best action games, best racing games etc.