Top Rated iOS game giveaway (8-19 dec)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Woodrith, Dec 6, 2014.

?

Which freebie did you enjoy the most?

1. Shadow Blade

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Hoplite

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Doug Dug

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. The Nightmare Cooperative

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. The Journey Down: Ch 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Detective Grimoire

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. Card City Nights

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  8. Skullduggery!

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. RGB Express

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Mucho Party

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    There's 12 games on my wishlist at the moment but with my 250+ premium games collection I'm at peace with the fact I'm not gonna get anything I want for free cause I already paid for it. But who knows, we'll see... ;)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I buy a lot of games (want to help the devs !) and have 400+ games on my iphone, i doubt there'll be any i havent got but be nice if theres one at least.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #63 Vovin, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    If you guys really appreciate what Pocket Gamer is doing and you wanna say "thanks", give them the deserved credit and click though their links to access the Appstore and download the game.

And yeah, it's HOPLITE today. Says so in the Appstore description.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I doubt that any of these games will go free on the calendar.
    Those devs have a strict pricing policy, every single one of them. But how about shelling out a few bucks to support those awesome devs?

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Do they actually get any kickback from apple for the clicks on free apps? Seems like it would only pay for paid app purchases on referrals. Either way, I'm just going to the appstore and looking up the games.

But as a thanks I've been actually looking at the pocketgamer website.

6. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    They're likely not making any direct money from the giveaway. If anything this promotion is a two way street, help bring visitors to pocket gamer thus drive up ad revenue. For the devs, give away a good to decent game they've had in their inventory for a little while gets free promotion and hopefully paying customers in the future.

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Doug Dug is the pick for tomorrow. Finally a game I don't own!

8. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Hahaha haven't seen that for a long time. Brings a smile to my face :)

9. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, me like! Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now. Never heard of that game before. Also, special thanks to pocket gamer

10. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Is doug dug any good just wanted to know your feedback on the game before downloading #

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Um, that would be a yes. I've been playing for about 2 hours today. :)

12. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Yes, most definitely. You'll dig Doug Dug. It takes awhile to work out how to prevent a cave in (still don't think I've got it entirely nailed), but it's one of those arcade games which can also be a slightly more chilled explorer if you go at it at a leisurely pace, which is the kinda game I like.

Obviously Pocket Gamer aren't choosing these games just based on whichever studio is willing to go free. They're scouring through their 5/4.5 star games looking for gems, and the studios who were grateful for their reviews are paying them back with this kind gesture (I'm really not sure how much revue a studio with only two games on their roster can get by making one of them free).

13. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Ok thanks coolpepper and sinagog for the feedback will download now and will look forward to playing it

14. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    #74 RampageDeluxe, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    I really enjoy Doug Dug. It's rare that I find a game I haven't heard of, so it's awesome when a hidden gem surfaces.

15. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    Pocket Gamer didn't disappoint me, these games are all great, I had Doug dug but oh well waiting for tomorrows pick:D My only issue here is TA not giving credit where it's due, that really bothers me. One of the news said "who knows why these games are free" well TA knows why they are free and we all know why they are free, thanks to pocket gamer. And pocket gamer always gives credit to TA when it's due, sorry for the random rant this is bothering me so much. If pocket gamer is reading here, thank you for this great promotion, we all appreciate it.

16. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Ye I think you're right point well made! #

17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yeap, very true. I felt TA wasn't being fair with PG with the "who knows why they went free..." comment. It wasn't a nice comment IMHO...

18. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    They've obviously been told not to mention Pocket Gamer, but that line was a bit like a huge sign at a UFO crash site saying, "Please move on. There is nothing to see here. Especially any UFOs." Just made it even more obvious.

19. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Hey everyone, i think foosball (illusion labs) might have a shot at tomorrow's freebie. Maybe not but still! And if you didn't know that foosball was free then there you go! #

20. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    That would be an odd choice considering it's such an old game that hasn't even been updated since 2012 and still does not have widescreen support.