Top Down Racer With 'Speed' ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by onion, Sep 14, 2010.

1. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Anyone recommend a good top down racer which has a very good impression of speed - I've looked on a few videos on youtube through a standard search, but most seem to be small tracks and not a great deal of speed involved - I would assume the game would have longer straights and long corners so you can build up your speed nicely, anyway, any recommendations for any games out there catering for that 'need for speed' in the top down variety ?

Thanks

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hard to judge by videos - they're often a different frame rate than the games...

Lil RacerZ is currently Free, and my favorite cart racing game. (has a decent sense of speed)

SpeedR is a bit on the cheezy side, but has good speed and "weaving through traffic" and different cars that really do behave differently. (might want to watch for this one to go on sale/free again)

3. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Wait for reckless racing to come out (if it ever comes out...)

4. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    #4 dangerz, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    I've been making SpeedR free for a day on random days.. I just did it yesterday but I'll do it again in 2 weeks. Until then, I'll send the OP a promo code to try it out.

Also I want to add some new cars.. if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Roy

5. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Why not make a Lite version instead of giving it for free ?

6. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Reckless Racing is a great top-down racer. There's good variety of courses, and different game modes. One of my favorite racing apps, and one of my favorite games overall. The wait was way too long, but at least it was worth it. Pixelbite got the game right! Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

7. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    +1 to all of that

8. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    However, I wouldn't exactly class RR as 'speed' as such. The emphasis is more on dragging round corners and bends. Maybe not the right thing for the OP, but still a good game.

9. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    Well the problem here is that top down racers generally dont focus on speed so much because the camera orientation doesn't allow you to see far in the distance, so games of that genre are more about positioning and cornering.

so imo, reckless racing does speed better than any other top down racers ive played.

10. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Nail'd it :cool: