Top 5 Zombie games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dariusjr98, Aug 14, 2012.

1. RodGreen

RodGreen Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah it's hard to compete when there's so many, many choices for people and most of the time developers either A) undervalue their own game or B) make it free and try to get you to pay in other ways.

We went with upfront payment because we wanted to be upfront about what the 'cost' is to play the game. Many people kept telling us to make it free but we've not been a fan of the freeminum trend that's happening right now. Also Brainsss was never designed for it.

We've also been contacted by lots of the "Free App" platforms that are out there but we've held off going down that route because we feel it can destroy the perceived value in the game. Not to mention make people angry who did pay for it.

This could get into a major rant about how were in a race to the bottom but that's completely OT.

2. Nope, I'm a pretty avid user of this board, and I have seen nothing about your game anywhere. Which is kind of odd cause I read a ton of gaming web pages, so something must not be working publicity wise.

As you mentioned in your other posts, people were asking for you to make it freemium, people were asking you for promo codes, and people were asking you to put it on FMA like services; well, honestly, if you really want people to try your game, it may best to drop the price to 99 cents even if temporarily.

Many people will try your game at that price, but asking people to try it for $3, I really doubt if you will get a lot of takers.

3. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    You didn't see the TA review?

We're planning to reduce the price however we're waiting for our update to be approved from Apple so that we can 'Relaunch and lower the price' at the same time.

Now you might say hey! Screw you, if you're going to do it, do it now. But in reality something like dropping the price of your game brings renewed attention to the game and we believe that the update has a huge amount of value in it as well. So doing it at the same time makes a lot more sense to boost the exposure.

4. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    A thought

Concerning, Brainsss, to me, $2.99 is a lot to pay for a game, when many quality games are free for the iPad and iPhone. Have you thought about making the game for FREE but the user has a limited time to play it (say seven days). That way, if the person likes the game, they will pay for it. If not, no harm, no foul.

5. Well, good, sounds like you have a good gameplan. I will read TA's review and look at any youtube videos when I get a chance. Usually, I spend more time on the forum side, and read a bunch of gaming blogs out there. And unfortunately, I haven't heard much about the game.

But it does seem there must be interest in your game if people are asking for free promo codes, making it freemium, or asking for a price drop to 99 cents.

On the other hand, I've seen numerous posts of yours wanting people to try the game. So it seems to be a catch 22 in a way.

Anyway, sounds like you have plan, hope it works out. I'll definitely check out your review and youtube videos. And I will promise you, that if I see a price drop, I will post it in the price reduction section. Good luck.

6. Actually, is there a lite version?

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    There is no lite version of Brainsss. I also don't believe that the game does so bad (can you tell us how many downloads your games has?). What really bothers me is that the game costs 2.99$ and there are even IAPs.

8. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    Yeah, that is possible. Though I'm not sure how people would respond to it.
    However this isn't too different from a free (or trial) version of the game that gives you much less content. But then you can pay to unlock the whole game.

I'm not sure this would work better or not (see Gasketball) but something we're looking into for sure.

9. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    NO there isn't! :D We are working on one though!

We've had around 16,000 downloads (35,000 if you include pirated versions).
    We've made probably around $100 off IAP.. mainly because the IAP isn't part of the game and is only for people who want to just unlock everything (cheat) without playing through. The game was always designed for you to never buy IAP. We don't have any mention of it other than 3 buttons at the bottom of one sub-sub-menu.

So while we do have IAPs it's not really something that should be considered when buying the game.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Wow... I can't believe that more than half of them are pirated...

Imo you should remove the IAP, you said you don't get much from it anyway... it really turns me away when is see a game thats not free and even has IAPs, I just think to myself: Woah, I ain't that rich.

11. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    That's interesting. I wonder how may other users feel the same way. Time for a poll? ;)

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm pretty sure others feel the same way... But feel free to set up a poll. Anyway you know my vote.

13. Ok, I'm being completely honest right now...I have $5 on my account right now, and I already spent 3 on the Scribblenauts world pass, Cartoon Wars Gunner, and Fragger. And tonight at 11, I will buy Random Heroes. That will only leave me 1 dollar, and I'd like to try your game. What can I do to get it?

14. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    Hah! Well we're can't drop the price on a whim that quickly however why not take the $1 and buy some other indie game that you've held off buying before?

P.S. I appreciate the honesty

15. #55 Connector, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Well, I checked your game out, saw youtube videos, read the itunes description and reviews, and read the website reviews.

I was very impressed with the reviews, very impressed. The videos, the game seemed like a weird cross between spy mouse and an rts game. Couldn't really determine if I would love the game from the youtube videos, but it does look like fun.

Reading the website reviews, seems overall, your game got high marks.

So mainly the questions are, why didn't I hear more about the game when it was released, and is this a game that would be fun for me to play.

I think a lite version of your game is a must. It is a new game concept, unlike a clone of angry birds or temple run, so it is a little hard for us to get a good idea of the game through screen shots and youtube videos.

About the inapps, I can't fairly say until I play the game. But I think if it is a small amount of inapps it would be ok.

I do think though a temporary price drop is a good idea to see how it goes, and I would try this before doing something like FMA or I hope you never go freemium.

But, since the reviews are solid, I too like the others here would take a chance to try it for 99 cents. I have a philosophy, if it is 99 cents and the reviews are great like in your game, buy it without a second thought. Almost all of the time this has worked, and even though I don't have a mancrush on zombies like others do, I would guarantee that I would buy your game, and if it was really good, would spread the word out too. And I promised you before, if I see a price drop on appshopper, I will be the first to post it on the price reduction on this board.

Anyway, good luck in your game, one way or another I have a feeling I will be enjoying your game on my new ipad in the future. Good luck.

16. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words.

Really I think we just didn't do a good enough job at getting it out there. We did a lot but really we probably could have done more.

We took a good hard look at what we produced and decided that we could add a lot to the game to give it value and we feel that as it stands (the coming update 1.5) will be pretty much as good a game as we could have made.

We're hoping it's got what it takes to get people like yourself interested enough to try the game and maybe it would enter your guys top 5 zombie game lists.. After that it's the game's job to keep you playing ;)

17. No problem.

Back to topic,

1. Plants vs zombies hd
    2. Zombie soccer hd
    3. Dead trigger
    4. Dead space hd
    5. Brainsss? Haha

18. thezman

thezman Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Well after all this talk I read some reviews and decide to get your game.Its downloading now so I hope all this hoopla was worth it cause I'm going to find out soon.:)

19. I'm updating my list:
    1. Zombieville USA 2
    2. Plants vs. Zombies
    3. SAS: Zombie Assault 3
    4. Call of Mini: Zombies
    5. Zombie Gunship