Too Many Temple Run Clones???

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by frisbee10461, Aug 15, 2012.

1. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Hello, all! frisbee10461 here!

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the Temple Run type of game is slowly but surely getting played out?

It seems that every week, there seems to be yet another game of this genre. Only a few days ago, there was Pitfall (uggh), and now, tonight, there is going to be Fashion Hazard, where you play the role of a fashion model walking the catwalk (I am not making this up). Throw in Agent Dash, Temple Run Brave, Subway Surfers, and there is probably a couple of dozen such games I am missing.

Has the Temple Run genre of game run its course (no pun intended)?

What's your opinion?

frisbee10461

2. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    as long as it's well done, I'm enjoying the temple run clones especially agent dash and subway surfers. Pitfall is crap and I never really got into theendapp or survival run. Next week comes One Epic Knight, another clone but I'm looking forward to it :)

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    When a game is successful like Temple Run, it's bound to have clones. To be honest, if Agent Dash came earlier I probably would've enjoyed it. Now... Meh. And huge LOL at fashion hazard xD

4. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    #4 frisbee10461, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    About Fashion hazard, two people emailed me just now, asking if I am serious about Fashion Hazard. What would be cool is if they had the theme to "I'm Too Sexy" playing for the game.

I'm too sexy for my iPad
    Too sexy for my iPad
    Too sexy, I'm glad.

Anyway, I digress. Here is the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fashion-hazard/id528597834?mt=8

Here is the description:

"Put your best stiletto forward to power the next runway star…or end up a Fashion Hazard. Begin as a model new to the world of high fashion and at the bottom of Fashion Week’s totem pole. Make a runway round-trip before the clock runs out without tripping, losing balance, or taking the ultimate spill. Advance by earning achievements, dodging obstacles and banking bling for special power-ups. From New York through Europe, the rewards get bigger, the stakes get higher and staying on top gets harder. Stay in time, stay in line, stay in season…or become a Fashion Hazard."

And no, this is not a free game.

I think that a game of this genre has to do something different, like the upcoming One Epic Knight game, which is on my list of top-five games to watch for (the other four are Horn, Infinity Blade: Dungeons, Infinite Warrior, and Super Hexagon).

Concerning, Pitfall, I agree with you. What would have been fantastic is to have included the original Atari 2600 port in the game, and not charge people to access checkpoints. That is the whole point of a checkpoint. You shouldn't have to pay to access what you already have, after paying for the game in the first place. The money grab is reminiscent of Dark Meadow.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I don't mind at all. How many zillion horizontal runners are there out there? In comparison, there's far fewer Temple Run clones at this point. And I do think there's plenty of room to make them even better and better.

I loved Subway Surfers and I think Agent Dash is a game that really should set the tone for future clones. There's issues with Agent Dash, like the starting from the beginning all the time, but there's a sense of adventure there and satisfaction with getting futher in the game that's missing from most of these type of games.

I'd say bring more of that into the equation and Temple Run will become a game like Canabalt that set the runner movement off, but is now fairly dull in comparison to what's come out since then.

6. I'm not really much of an endless runner fan, but sure, if it's a good solid freemium, sure why not. Personally, I wouldn't buy any endless runner since there are so many good free ones now, and it doesn't phase me one bit if all these endless runners are freemiums since I usually just load and play them for a very short time.

But I do think these runners are getting better and better. Agent Dash, theend, subway surfers etc, are all great. And temple run got much better after the last ipad retina update.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Fashion Hazard...

[​IMG]

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    *cough*Zombie Runaway*cough*

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    There are so many more side scrolling runners though. We don't call them all clones of the first popular one of those, do we? Plus, a lot of these games aren't that close to Temple Run aside from being over the shoulder endless runners.

We've also had tons of Breakout clones and that game is from 1976 and it's still a popular iOS game template.

10. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Straight-up clones I object to, but genuine variation can be OK. Temple Run is my favorite, but I play Agent Dash (fun after the STEEP learning curve) and Subway Surfers as well. I’d give others a chance IF they are new and different enough. Me-too re-skins? No thanks!

11. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    My daughters love endless runners and fashion. I love that there is a game that combines these things. Its one of the great things about mobile/casual gaming, its so inclusive.

I think clones are okay as long as they improve on the original, take it in a different direction, or bring it to a different audience.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This. Even if they copy the core gameplay from Temple Run, they should make the game feel different from it. I appreciate every form of innovation in runner games, since i enjoy runner games too much.

Complete re-skins, I loathe.

13. Timother

Timother Member

Aug 11, 2012
    seo executive
    new york
    #13 Timother, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    i don't have any idea of temple run clones as i haven't played it yet any time can any one tell me something about this game

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont mind Temple Run but most of the other clones i havent got interest in. But its just the latest 'game fad'. Go back 6 months and look how many Angry Bird clones there were (and still are), or Tiny Wings.

The second a simple idea is huge on the app store you're going to get tons of clones trying to cash in.