iPad Too many ____ games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Forerunnerz, Feb 21, 2009.

?

Do you think that the AppStore needs more variety?

1. AppStore needs more variety.

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. AppStore needs more polished games.

44 vote(s)
    67.7%
  3. AppStore needs more hardcore games.

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. AppStore needs more casual games.

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  5. No, the AppStore is fine as it is.

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Anyone notice that the AppStore seems to have a flood of Puzzle games, Tower Defense games, Racing games or just some small mini-games(usually $0.99?)?

I'm personally getting sick of these games. It's not that they're bad or anything, but they are getting old. Developers need to work on something that's seen less on the iPhone. Games like Brothers in Arms, Hero of Sparta, Rolando, iDracula, Zombieville USA and others are the style games don't don't apear on the AppStore often.

The AppStore needs more games of the following genres. Adventure, Shooters, Fighting, etc.

Does anyone agree? I also think that about half the games on the AppStore aren't even worth a download. There needs to be more polished, and more hardcore games on the AppStore. Maybe when the Premium Section gets released? Well, post your thoughts here.

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    you can never have too many of a certain type. Usually the most recent game that is released is better than the others, so i would rather the genre keep improving than just halt altogether. For example, look at cro-mag, now look at nfs, if devs stopped making racing games then they would never improve. Also there can be many different kinds of a genre, for ex. 7 cities and fieldrunners. Both TDs, but each completely unique and different. (7 cities is way better though)

3. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    also that poll is meaningless. The app store needs more of all those, more hardcore, more casual, and all of them need to be polished.

4. arykmax

arykmax Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I think there is a good variety although some genres are being overdone. We are starting to see a trend of more polished games that I hope will continue.

5. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    I screwed up on the poll, hit enter too early. I was going to have added a couple more options but w/e.

6. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I think the app store is fine the way it is, just needs to have a better way of representing all of the apps

7. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#7 Alichan, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    I agree but not at the expense of the iDevice's strengths. It's not a coincidence I think that there are so many puzzlers, TD's, Racers etc. They work well with the controls it has. For example, you put Rolando in there next to HoS and BIA, but for me it's sooo different to the last 2. It's not an 'iDevice wanna be', whereas the last 2 definately are, and fall short because of it.

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    You're absolutely right. Action, adventure games, platformers, etc are truly underrepresented.

To add to this, I would say that even the genres themselves need variety within themselves. The puzzle genre is a lot more than match 3 games for example. You know like Zelda, Mario vs Donkey Kong, stuff like that.

9. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    i wouldnt call zelda a puzzle game, its more of an rpg with a few puzzles thrown in.

10. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    True. Still I haven't seen 1 Zelda game that wasn't enjoyable. Zelda an the iPhone is a game I wouldn't be able to put down.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've been over this a thousand times:

The "premium price" section is just a RUMOR, and one that likely will not come to be reality. The market for games has been set. Developers can price their games as they wish RIGHT NOW. They haven't gone to $19.99 for very good reasons having to do with all around lower cost development on iTouch/Phone compared to the dedicated portable game systems, meeting the expected price point in the mobile game market, and other such things.

A "premium" section for the "big name" developers is possible, but don't expect it to be based on price point but rather the size and influence of the developer (so Sega, EA, Gameloft, etc. would get their own separate "premium game" section based on who they are as a company rather than price point).

As for genres that we should see more of on this platform...you have to keep in mind that this is NOT a portable game system. It's not even in the portable game system segment of the market. iTouch/Phone are pretty much squarely in the mobile game market segment of the game industry, and thus hits a different segment of the game consumer market. These are as different to portables as PCs are to home consoles. Sure, you'll see similar games, but most developers will develop their games to suit the platform, and do so because consumers in the market for games in said platforms are looking for games that suit the platform to begin with. Why play a fighter on a PC if home consoles are better suited for such games due to having the stock controllers work better than the stock control for PCs (keyboard/mouse)? Same deal with RTS on PC vs. home consoles, but in reverse.

That said, games like Hero of Sparta, Brothers in Arms, etc. fill a niche on this platform. They are not the "main" type of games that the majority of consumers in the market for games on this platform look to buy. This in many ways is the exact reverse of what consumers mainly look for on dedicated game systems like DS and PSP. Why? Because, again, the iTouch/Phone platform is not a dedicated game platform, is not a portable game system, and is not in that market. It's a different market with different demands.

As an aside, you mention adventure games...and I wonder what you define as adventure, because we've seen quite a few adventure games on this platform. 1112, CSI:Miami, Soul Trapper, Alternate Endings, the Jake Hunter games, and a few more coming down the pike (like Myst, stuff from RealTime Associates like L.A. Knight and Bloodvine, I know that Malinche Entertainment has some text adventure/interactive fiction coming down the pike, and more). If however, you mean games like Legend of Zelda and the like...well...those are action/adventure, not adventure. Just wanted to point that out. ;)

Oh, and if you meant action/adventure, Dark Raider has been announced as in development: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=5450

Again, though, these types of games fill a niche, not meet mass market expectation. The majority of the consumer base for these devices are not looking for games of this sort. That's just the way it is. Doesn't make it any less a viable platform for games. It just makes it different than the portable game system market.

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wrong on both counts.

LoZ is an action/adventure, as it is a hybrid of the action genre (has gameplay associated with action games like direct combat) and the adventure genre (the exploration and environmental puzzles associated with the adventure game genre).

The term "puzzle games" don't tend to refer to games with logic and/or environmental puzzles for the most part, and typically not to those with a narrative like adventure games (though I've seen it used in such cases).

And RPGs are focused, in terms of gameplay, on stats. Stat building, character customization through assignment of stats, etc. LoZ isn't stat based, and so it is not an RPG.

Sorry for the genre geek coming out in me...it's one of my things. :eek:

13. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    i have the minish cap and a link to the past on my GBA emulator

14. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    technically it is an rpg, but then so is every game (pretty much). It is primarily an action adventure game though, you are right

15. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    App. Store needs to be more selective on what's approved there is literally thousands of crappy apps. that know one will ever buy. Seems like it slows down the whole approval process when they have to wade
    through all the stench. =

16. Forerunnerz

Feb 14, 2009
    Aww, Knew it was too good to be true. Even though the iPhone is primarily for games cheaper than other portables, it still would have been cool to see a game as long as Payback. Oh, and I already knew about that game, I'm excited for it. Just hope it's a great game when it's released.

I also have them, but I'd rather have a zelda type of game made specifically for the iPhone. Mainly to utilize the iPhone's SDK, and controls.

17. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, IMHO the only problem Appstore has now is a problem of visibility. It should just emulate the Amazon's "Bestseller at a given price point" system, then more expensive Apps will have a much easier time at getting noticed.
    Oh, and Devs of said Apps should understand that in the market flooded with cheap competition, demo is not a luxury, but critical for success.

18. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I don't expect any large, expensive games until Apple fix the top lists to include price per unit as well as total downloads. The Store by design is a big bucket which is punishing higher priced games over small, cheap games, often that are a waste of a buck.

This is why retailers don't mix bargain bin sales with chart. You wouldn't want a £1-2 throwaway disc sitting next to an £8 disc just because they had the same sales last week.

Now we've got ourselves into a routine where we think that actually, 3 quid is a HUGE amount to spend on a game and we'd only want to pay a quid or less for it. I doubt the market as it is wants a premium priced £10 game when they can get 10 cheap ones.

19. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    what the app store needs most is a major overhaul.

It gives the impression it was designed when they thought they would not have many apps, you cant save favorites, you cant search by price, the genres need subcatagories, no search or listing by date released, you can only see the version number when on the app, when you search it automatically autoguesses your search with music titles etc.etc.....the list is long !

And dont get me started on iTunes's fantastic app handling.(sarcasm for those who missed it !)

If Apple got its ar*e in gear and redisgned both of these then it would not be such a problem, if duplicate games were arround - you could tag things you tried with your personal 1 star or 5 stars etc...

20. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Touchscreen control only -> Puzzle Games

$1-$3 -> low or average production value

It's easy like that and I like it that way as long as Apple doesn't give us more control options.