Too Good to Be True

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by starjimstar, Jun 7, 2009.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I may have found my iPhone suitable competition for title of "favorite mobile gaming device." This is the product description from ThinkGeek.

2. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Looks cool, but theres plenty of cheaper ones like that on ebay

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yep, looks nice. Too pricey.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If it's a solid device that'll withstand falls, has a bright screen, responsive controls, smooth gameplay, and a long battery life, I'd happily shell out 100 smackers for this puppy. I mean, you can literally put in thousands of "free" games onto this thing!

5. brendons

brendons Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
  6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    @ Phil & Crazy - too expensive? I don't see any substantial savings on ebay. I would rather deal with ThinkGeek than some shady ebay merchant anyway.

@Kamazar - I am going to be grabbing one of these as soon as more become available. I only wish it supported Gameboy and Game Gear roms. I imagine more consoles will be supported in the future if this device is commercially successful. Hopefully that support will be a simple firmware update, though for N64 it would probably require new hardware.

@brendons - I have been under the impression OS 3.0 will allow that to become reality. I think the new SDK allows apps to interface with the dock connector. Someone with more knowledge in this area can feel free to correct me, however.

I am not going to give up my iPhone: not by a long shot. The unique hardware combination allows for unparalleled gaming experiences and it really nurtures creativity of developers. It is a Jack of all trades and, unfortunately, often doesn't do retro console games justice (the exceptions that prove the rule, of course, being Duck Hunt & Guru Meditation, as they required unique, difficult to simulate by conventional means, hardware in the first place.)

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    I meant too pricey because I had a GP2X which cost me about the same and it handled more emulators than this device does.

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Neat. I have never seen one of those before. Google is turning up prices of nearly double this one. Cool little machine, though. I will look into it further.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Damnit, doesn't support Dreamcast... not surprising, but would've been nice to be able to play Sonic Adventure 2 anywhere, anytime :p

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Might be more now since the original GP2x was discontinued. The new GP2X Wiz is out now though I think, I'm not sure I've been out of the forums for awhile now. Neat little machine though, the original.

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Thanks Crazy. :)