Universal Tomb Raider (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    21 here ;-)

Not sure if i really need this.I played the TR anniversary recently but i don't think the controls will allow me to have a lot of fun while playing this on iOS.

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Of course, but since the emergence of MFi controllers (iOS7 controllers if you prefer), I am trying to be generic here. :)

Confession: Since I see this thread is going down to the direction of "sentimental old-gamer club", I was 25 when I first played this one and I am still 25.. :p

3. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    The controls are manageable but the timed switches are going to be a pain. It would definitely be so much easier, smoother, to have the usual swipe to look

4. WAV 80

WAV 80 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    TMI but i had my first boner playing this game. I remember playing this when i was about 5 years old on my ps1 back in 2002. Ohmygod im gonna go on a nostalgic feels trip when i get this.

5. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Is this available in Canada yet?

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Funny, to me this looks disappointing graphics-wise. And I was around when all these were made years ago, and I don't have any interest in touching this at all! C'mon, man. This should've been updated instead of releasing a port of old stuff. Pass....... ;) Just got no interest in it period.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It is updated. The original had really low resolution graphics. This, crisper, sharper and a higher polygon count.

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    still remember played this on my old n-gage. graphics was impressive back then. ah 99c for the good old time. i was 15 when it first released on ps1.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    69p for Tomb Raider 1?

Are you kidding me? ..there's got to be a catch? Iap? Pay per level?

TR1 is imo the best of the lot, seriously it's awesome.

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I hope you're joking..

11. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Ok here is a stupid question.. Once Lara has the pistols, how do you get her to put them away again? I know how lame that is, but there you go :)

12. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    In the Playstation store, you can get the first few games for under $5, so it is not surprising to get this for $.99.

My favourite was number 4. Loved finding all the hidden passageways/rooms and items.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Never played 4, too bad, since number 2 has me put this down...after pretty much done enjoying the pony tail...

14. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    I had these games on my computer back in the day so fun! :) Buying tonight. :D

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #95 undeadcow, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    While waiting for Tomb Raider to release in the United States I'm reminded on the Angelina Jolie helmed movie. It may have been a dud but they pulled off the look well.

[​IMG]

versus the 2013video game prequel, which I think adds a good innocent realism to the character but feels too much like a departure from the original graphic.

[​IMG]

Here's a fun graphic showing the evolution of Tomb Raider, from the classic original to present.
    [​IMG]

16. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    #96 christopherrocs, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Supported devices?

17. Mr. Grizzly

May 20, 2011
    She did two Tomb Raider movies. If someone likes the video game series, the movies were actually pretty cool.

Number four was a major step up in graphics and gameplay - they redesigned the game engine for that one.

18. YellowHat

YellowHat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I remember watching my dad play TR1 and AoE1 when I was 8 years old. I just had to download it :)

Impressions:

I'm playing on an iPhone 4. I've played like 20 minutes and everything is fine. I have only 2 complaints:

1) With controls, the biggest problem is running and changing direction simultaneously. This makes the game slower (you have to stop frequently), but so far I've been able to deal with it.
    2) Menu navigation is very bad and un-intuitive: you have to tap instead of swipe, and touch areas seem kinda random.

Overall, the port looks very good. I know this plays a lot better on a PS or computer, but I just had to download it for old times' sake.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Tap the pistol button to holster or pull out your guns. ;)

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, the movies actually were pretty decent.