Universal Tomb Raider (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe Square Enix is trying to build more momentum with the Tomb Raider franchise after announcing an improved edition of the modern prequel.

Thanks to Exact-Psciense for early impressions.
    Very nice, classy move![/QUOTE]
    Tomb Raider 1 on PC has had community patches and modifications to increase resolution, so it's possible Square Enix could utilize some of those without doing the work in house.

Fortunately, or not, it seems like Square only shafts the RPG fans especially on Final Fantasy games. The previous Tomb Raider game, Guardian of Light, game was very reasonably priced on iOS.

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    This is cool and all, but what I really want is Tomb Raider : Anniversary , played it on PC way back and it should run easily on iOS devices ( remade graphic engine is excellent ).

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Well, slap me silly, this is a great surprise. Instabuy!

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This game is going to be so hard to play, I remember it not controlling great back on the ps1, I'll buy it for nostalgia and have a quick play that's worth 69p alone but playing through this seriously is going to be a whole new challenge.

5. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Finally tombraider! And only a dollar! Bought!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been playing this the past hour, maybe more, while waiting for my coffee and breakfast orders, and im really impressed with what they did here.

Sure the controls arent perfect, as i'd prefer the current norm of swipe-to-look on the right and movement on the left side, but this game feels great even on the iphone 4S.

I really want to play this on the iPad mini but unforch, my mini's not on iOS7. But no problem, coz my ipad mini retina comes next week :D

Great port from Squeenix.

7. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    #68 seo25, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    I was 4 years old when tombraider first came out. And from the day my dad first bought a ps1 I've loved tomb raider. Now I can finish the entire game 100% without saving in just a few hours >_<. I literally fangasmed when I saw this. So I got it and tried it.

The controls if you think about it are pretty good. Cause it still follows the button pad it had on Playstation (x, triangle, sq, O) so I could naturally just jump in and finish a level. Moving was a tad more difficult. Cause it's the same as ps. So to turn while movie requires the forward and left d-pad buttons. Same thing here. But there much more sensitive. So if I would've slide to the left button it would just respond to the left button and she would stop running (if any of that makes sense. I just woke up haha) it takes some getting used to. But I'm getting there :p

THANKYOU CRYSTAL DYNAMICS!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: if anyone can't work the game out. Cause it can have frustrating moments. Like finding those 3 cogs in the third level - there is a walkthrough website http://tombraiders.net/index.html she has done so much for the series, she's a friend of mine and I've contributed to these walkthroughs a few times. She's the best :p
    Again that's http://tombraiders.net/index.html

8. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Is it definitely universal? It's only showing up under the iPhone section at the minute?

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    110% universal. ;)

10. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    That was a stupid question, I suppose ;). I've no doubt got another for you now, I usually just click the links and download from there but its not working this time, just says cannot connect to store. If I download the one under the iPhone section, I wont have to play zoomed? Sorry!

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    "How many US$0.99 I have spent this December?"

Okay, tons of memories here (apart from the "bloated"...okay the missing pony tail) how I loved putting Miss Croft hanging down from the edge and leave the PC for some other business and return to see her still hanging... :rolleyes:

Will definitely buy this and pray for physical controller support! :p

12. I thought you had icade.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hahaha... yeah if you download a universal app, even if you download through iphone link, it will adjust to full resolution in your ipad.

14. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This just made me feel old :p I was 16

15. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Hahaha. I think I was 18 when it came out.

16. There are numerous universal games though that basically run 2x mode with borders though.

17. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm super excited for this. TR is my all time favorite franchise. I was just playing it on the Vita. Did I read that it has the "Unfinished Buisness" levels? I've always wanted to play those and the TR Gold levels. I was never really into PC gaming, so I missed out on quite a bit of extra levels over the years. Hopefully this does well and we see the other TRs on iOS in the future.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Totally different point, but yeah. Some devs can go lazy on optimization.

19. Gotoma

Gotoma Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Controls are surprisingly not bad at all (once you move them around to your liking). I'am really digging this game (my lovely Lara was already murdered by a couple panthers though LOL). My only gripe is the tiny menu buttons on the iPad.

Oh and here's my button layout, it would be interesting to see how different people are rearranging them:

[​IMG]