Universal Tomb Raider (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #41 Exact-Psience, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Controls are highly customizable, but it does follow the original control method of Up to move forward, Left and Right to turn, and Back to hop back.

This said, it can be very difficult to to maneuvers while running, BUT i remember Tomb Raider to be all about precision jumping when platforming so the controls work well here.

Other buttons: View mode toggle, Run/Walk Toggle, Roll/360-degree turn button, a jump button, a couple small buttons for strafing left and right, and then there's a button with a hand and then one with a gun on it, which i havent tested yet as im in Lara's Manor practicing the maneuvers.

There are a lot of buttons, so it may feel cramped.

Maneuvers are done in a slower pace, but this is how i remembered the original Tomb Raider.

Buttons can be rearranged, and you have an option to use fixed or dynamic move-stick. For this one though, i suggest sticking to fixed as sometimes movement can get tricky with the dynamic stick. Im sure some would prefer dynamic over static though.

The game looks good, controls are ok, but AGAIN, this is how the original one was.

Great pickup for a buck IMO, and i dont see IAPs anywhere.

2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I only had two (very short) console experiences in my whole life. This was my first one. No-brainer for me at a buck, and i will even stay up 'til one o'clock to make sure to get this classic.

3. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Bought the Tomb Raider collection not so long ago in Steam, and it's iOS 7 only, yet I know I'm going to buy it anyway :D
    If this isn't just for the reboot and they are starting to port some old games for iPhone, I hope Parasite Eve is one of them.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Sounds good, EP. I'm guessing iPhone 4 is out of the question but I'll be getting this anyway to have it for later. Too good a deal to pass up

5. An iphone 4 maybe more powerful than what it first released on, long ago.

6. Bronxsta

Well I'm still amazing that a device in my pocket can run a game that made my PS2 chug years ago (i.e. GTA San Andreas)

So hopefully iPhone 4 could run this, if not I still got Guardian of Light

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #47 Exact-Psience, Dec 16, 2013
    It may be possible on the iphone 4 since there are 3 graphics details, and im running it at max on the 4S.

EDIT: Gotta go somewhere... be back in a bit with more imps.

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    one thing i definitely like about squeenix, nothing in their console/pc library seems to be beyond their willingness to put on the ios, and bring it stateside.

-waiting patiently for dragonquest 8-

9. Bronxsta

Oh, that's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

How do the controls feel on the small screen?

10. vblack

vblack Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    realtech VR
    Canada
    Some information about the TR:1 Mobile (my company http://www.realtech-vr.com did the port)

- Works on iPad 1 or better (works best on iPad Retina / iPhone 5 @ 60fps)..
    - Also works with iCade, iControl Cad, Bladepad and MFI game controllers.
    - Supports iCloud save games.
    - Includes TR: Unfinished Business levels (you can toggle them from the main menu).
    - Full port with rewritten/bug fixes from the original version (not emulation).
    - 24bit HD textures (and ability to play like the original with 8-bit textures).

11. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

WHY is that not in the description? MFi and iCloud are good sales arguments. I know you guys (probably) don't write the description but it's pretty much stupid nonetheless.

12. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Sounds brilliant. Are there any IAPs?

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #53 oooooomonkey, Dec 16, 2013
    I'm not even a tomb raider fan but at this price I'll but it just to encourage square to be more reasonable with the prices, also wth icade support?? I'm in doubly.

14. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    ...How old are you, exactly? This game is almost 20 years old.

It's running in a higher resolution, for sure.

Sorry buddy, I had to tweak your old post a tad. Sometimes nostalgia is better off left nice and rosy. There are two kinds of aging: "standing the test of time" and "Tomb Raider 3". Frankly, the first and second games don't hold up too well, either. It's just that they hold up better.

Get TR: Anniversary if you want to revisit this game on modern hardware. This is certainly an interesting release, but I'm supremely skeptical. Looks like a novelty.

When you said this, it made me sad, because it reminded me that this game came out in a day and age where you bought a game, and had the whole game.

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    There are dinosaurs in tomb raider 1?

16. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Haha yes there certainly are :D it's got everything.

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    This is so random, so unexpected.

18. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Need iphone4 imps.

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I was 100% percent going to smash the buy button before even hearing that it supports iCade... WOW am I excited!

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally. It's great when surprises like this appear out of the blue