Universal Tomb Raider (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I'd love to see a gameplay video of this to see how it plays and how the controls work. The only Tomb Raider I've played is the latest. 69p seems amazingly strange for Square Enix too, is there a IAP for unlocking the majority of content or something?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah the graphics look a lot better than how i remembered it way back. Anyways original Tomb Raider for a buck, for me, tis a no-brainer.

EDIT: Woohoo! Out on the PH appstore! Downloading now!

3. Gotoma

Gotoma Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics ARE better, this is what the original looked like.

[​IMG]

Can't wait. I just hope the controls won't suck too much.

4. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^The polygons are too rough from the original so i guess they did a huge amount of work on this one.

Why is it at a buck then? Curious... This is SE after all.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Filesize:

[​IMG]

6. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    A Square game? For a buck? Released on a monday? Without a warning? Ok, what's the catch?

7. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    For a dollar people better buy the shit out of this or we may never see a Squeenix title so cheap!

8. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Only a buck for the whole game?! I remember playing this on the PS1, back then it was just such an amazing game. Will be fun to see if it still holds up..

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree. We moan about their price normally so like you say I hope the masses buy this

10. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    But require ios 7... Oh well, for $0.99 it's ok i guess

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Yup... i didnt realize it was iOS7-only so i had to install on the 4S. Imps soon.

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

1) iPhone 4?
    2) Any catches? Seems too good to be true. Especially for a port of a popular game like this

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ** IF ** this truly is the whole deal with no IAPs, they may see it as a way to promote the reboot. Although the 360/PS3 editions have been around for a while, the "definitive" editions are coming for Xbox One/PS4. Off topic, but the reboot was a great game. Far more combat oriented, but fantastic none-the-less. And surprisingly brutal in its violence (not that it bothered me, but still caught me off guard).

Anyway, curious to see how this port turned out and if there's no hidden fees beyond the buck.

14. Yes, I am feeling young today, that is good. :D

15. Well...never saw this coming...graphics definetly look better from the stuff I've seen of this game

The controls in the screenshots do look a bit awkward though, and you need iOS 7 to run it...but how long is it going to stay at $0.99?

I'm hoping for a Tomb Raider II port now, as that has the mansion...and the butler...and the lockable fridge (or freezer)...:)

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Active Member

Aug 10, 2013
    So, did anyone verify/play this on an iPad/iPad mini so far? Is this a universal app?

I can't wait to get my hands on this game! I've been waiting for this forever! I'm a huge TR fan and this being released on iOS is like X-Mas and Easter all at once. :p

17. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Trust me it looks far better than it did running on my 120mhz pc with 8mb of ram !

18. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

The controls look very cramped from those screenshots

19. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    #39 volcanopele, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    The original Tomb Raider?!? Instabuy for me. I loved that game. Of course now I feel old since I played that game in middle school... but oh well. That and for some reason, my brain always associated the Spice Girls with that game, not sure why...

Edit: Or was it the Cardigans? Great, now I can't remember which earworm song I had in my head while playing this game the first time...

20. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    69p.... This is for me :)