Universal Tomb of the Mask - endless arcade (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by YuliYuli, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Are those the knives and spires (having different shape)?

2. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep.

That's WOW for us either - this week has dozens of strong releases.

Tinder is what many of my younger friends use and I might give it a try too in case I would be 15-20 years younger and single, but that's not the case for quite a while :)

3. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep.

I like progression too, although there is always a space for improvements.

This is what make you fall into the state of flaw fast and you are trying again and again not realizing it :)

4. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Very very interesting article. Thanx for sharing! Cool to see how relative skill and challenge are quantified.

5. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep. Very interesting and often exploited in games. Sometimes devs do without even knowing it.

In AAA titles it's a must like in Witcher (III) - when I stop playing it on my 4k TV and my rig that allows to play it 60FPS at 4k I relalze that I'm back to life, want to eat, sleep, toilet and so on.

And that "flaw" is the state which I posess most of the time when I work what means that it's a job with a right amount of skill and challenge, as real world stops to exist to me when I'm working on a good task. And the drawback of it is that I'm usually pulled out of it when my body fells like I need to eat something to not die immediately. Because when you are within a "flaw" you feel neither hunger nor thirst.

6. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    #126 H4nd0fg0d, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    I can relate to that. A note regarding the game, if there were one aspect that I feel could definitely use some tweaking it would be the rise rate of the encroaching water. Others have mentioned tweaking the traps and whatnot, but if the rise rate were slowed ever so slightly it would allow for those precious split seconds when you have to pause for that extra second for a trap or to try to grab that extra coin. I believe this would allow players to all achieve higher average scores and go a little bit further and balance the defeat/more successful run ratio. All skill and reflexes aside this is also majorly a game of split second timing. Even if this would raise the overall average scores for everyone, I don't see it having a negative impact and would contribute to the games balance and 'flow.' The games difficulty seems to be set very high allowing for basically zero mistakes. I believe allowing for more than one misstep would breed a more positive feeling toward wanting to play all the more. I'm no fan of relying on a high degree of luck to get me through anything albeit a game or work for that matter. Just something to consider. Your article is actually what brought it to the fore of my thinking.

7. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    When I'm asked to spin the Wheel of Fortune I feel like, can I buy a vowel? Haha.
    Choice game! I may have spent a little extra time in the bathroom at work today.

8. Water

Water Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Game Dev
    Japan
    #128 Water, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Awesome one

I love this, this game is for me, not only for nobles.
    apparently is Downwell follower,but treats me more warmly. (of course I would appreciate warmer treatments further:))
    Five stars,worthy of!

9. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Happybyte I had no idea you guys made Hammy go round. I loved that game. I was looking in everyplay and I saw hammy go round under happy magenta and I went and looked.

I really love you guys. I started playing hammy again now too. Restored my purchases hehe.

Billy

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would be happy with keeping the option for continues, but without the continue score going to the leaderboards. Just for the fun of exploring further, for people that aren't as proficient.

I'm happy having it as 1 free continue per run for the paid version, and coin/ad-subsidized for free (and maybe for the paid one, after the free one is used).

Really, just for the fun of exploration for people whose main motivation is less of as high score chase. I sometimes find myself dying in the middle of something fun and I really wanted to try to overcome that on my own. That's what the continue would be for.

My 2 cents.

11. ParanormalGames

ParanormalGames Active Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Indie Developer
    Adelaide, Australia
    very fun and polished little game nice work! Simple but challenging.

12. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    Whoa!!!
    Just found my first secret bonus coin side level! This game is AWESOME! #

13. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    This game is incredibly fair in its monetization. I play games just for fun and don't really follow gamecenter anyway so I can't comment on that. But saying I won't touch it until it's premium sounds pretentious and ridiculously first world. Let people who can't pay for it play it, because it's a fun, quality game. And if you want to, support the developer in one of several ways.

I will say I would love a slowed down version. "Zen" doesn't quite fit the nature of this game but perhaps just a slightly slowed down version of the main game. Worth less points and seperate leaderboards, of course.

I also vote for different color schemes!

Great game, thanks!!

14. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Just posted a video on everplay for a 16800 run! Awesome fun!!

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Performs choke hold from behind.

Nothing to see here people. The score didn't happen.

Lol

Billy

16. Rain1dog

Jul 31, 2010
    ########

I also don't use any revives. Only thing I use are shields.

17. Rain1dog

Jul 31, 2010
    I just hit 20,000 on new stage!!!!! No continues... A single run!!

18. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
  19. Rain1dog

Jul 31, 2010
  20. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Never. I think I've watched one video for coins so far, but other than that, I haven't used ads for anything. I guess you can also continue with coins, but I haven't done that either. I find I still collect plenty of coins in my runs with the secret side rooms.