Universal Tomb of the Mask - endless arcade (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by YuliYuli, Feb 9, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Well it's an easy fix. They need to make separate leaderboards. You start out in the pure leaderboard. The moment you use a continue you get put in the second leaderboard.

That way it would be fair. And they should limit continues to 2. That way it would encourage people to purchase no ads so you'd get the free first continue (hint hint dev lol) and then have the second continue use coins or an opt in ad.

Then it's a completely level playing field no matter which leaderboard you are in and it encourages not only the no ads purchase but the use of coins or an opt in ad. It's a win/win for everyone.

What does everyone think? What do you think devs? Since you already have the leaderboard framework it wouldn't be hard to make the second leaderboard yes?

Billy

2. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    That's what I would recommend, as well. I have never used a continue, so I would love a leaderboard that doesn't allow them. I also think capping it at 2 continues for the other leaderboard would be good. I don't really care either way about the free continue, but it might be a good thing to offer with ad removal if pop up ads never launch.

3. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
  4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Or optionally, they can keep having only one leaderboard, but they would have to limit the revives. It would still be pretty balanced IMO, since high score chasing would only really be competitive once you have maxed out the upgrades, and after that there wont be much use for the coins other than the revives.

5. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok, so this is my type of game. im surprised no one is comparing this game a little to forget-me-not, way back in the day of nyrab labs... Remember Magnetic shaving Derby? anyway, to all the comments in this thread I agree. the game is brilliant but the pay model is pay to win which I do not like. it needs a more premium feel. So I can respawn after every death and I have to watch a ad? seems very tedious. I only do it when im close to beating my high score...Not to mention every time I back out of the app I can watch an ad and get 500 gold. Don't like that at all...the game is based on how many shields you can get meaning you can use all your shields in one epic run, or sparce them out over a few runs. If this was fixed would be easy 5 stars.... as the model is now, 3.5 once fixed, will give 5 star and will do IAP in support of dev.

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Actually, I also had to think of Downwell AND Forget-Me-Not (another of my all time favs). Yes, you're right. And funny, I NEVER use those shields. Since they bounce you back when you hit an enemy, they always destroy my sense of speed completely, that's why I don't care about them :)

7. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Not going to pitch a fit and I love the game and ultimately want to support the dev, but I feel mislead by the game having a $.99 charge to remove pop up ads that don't even exist. I would have gladly paid triple that for premium. This is on the unethical side and a bit underhanded. Shouldn't be an option as the game stands, period.

8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015

Due to this post alone I will buy the add removal & look forward to going premium. Being involved & listening to fans means everything! Awesome game! Awesome devs!!!

9. Mark DeNardo

Mark DeNardo Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Sound Wizard
    Brooklyn, NY
    The FTP discussion is totally valid. I also believe in supporting developers however they chose to monetize. If I like the game, it's never an issue.

I find myself just really liking this game.
    Happy Magenta landed this game design.
    Perfect lite rpg feeling but good for the train.

The UI and the animations are really solid.
    It is fun to just jump in and out of island view/altar view.

10. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #70 BillyOceansBlues, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Great game - Not seeing the Downwell comparison at all. Visually yeah, but the gameplay is in a completely different galaxy.

11. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I agree. I think it's just visual. Maybe the fast pace, but you can actually take Downwell fairly slow.

On a different note, I was thinking about other things I'd like to see in the game. What about a Zen mode? Let me explain the idea. The game would be structurally the same (random levels, same enemies, same traps and what not), but nothing would be chasing you. The object would be to collect as many dots as possible in the level. With the randomness, you may not be able to get all of them, and that would just be how it is. Scoring per section could be based on the percentage of dots collected, with a bonus for a totally cleared section. Obviously a different leaderboard. It could also be a good place to add in some achievements. Not sure how hard that would be to implement, but I think it would be awesome.

This game really connects with me. I'm at #4 on the leaderboard right now, and I have never used a continue. I'm sure that will change soon, but I am loving this game!

12. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Game should be premium and with save points each level.

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Downloaded it. Played it. It's ok but not something I can put a lot of time into. Deleted because it's not something I'll play for the long haul.

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I guess that's what you get when you hand out premium stuff for free :)

15. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Number 8 on leaderboards... How to get 30k...

16. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    #76 fabell, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Upwell and the Ad Game

I'm enjoying the game. Here's the spaghetti western review:

The Good:

1. Design is superb. Coding is godly. It's a runner and a puzzle and somehow manages to be both all the time.

2. Mask benefits are awesome. Finally a game where what you wear actually becomes a game changer instead of just offering a slight boost with some vanity.

3. XP comes nicely, and if you upgrade the magnet those levels will come even quicker. Good sense of progression.

The Bad:

1. This game eats my battery for breakfast.

2. Earning coins in-game is negligible. Watching ads is where the money is made, and while I don't mind watching ads in a free game, there have been a few moments since I've played this game where I've wondered if I am playing TotM or The Ad Game.

3. There is only a 25% chance of not securing a loss when playing the Wheel. Although it's less of a gamble when you realize you make your money from watching ads than actually playing the game.

The Ugly:

1. Ad gold recharges every 3 minutes, so if you wanted to just watch a show and put a timer on for 3 minutes you could (theoretically) make 10,000 every hour by doing nothing and just swiping left and down to die every 3 minutes. Put on a movie and you'll have made almost as many coins as the $6 package.

2. As the economy is driven by ads (primarily, since the best mask only raises gold by 40%), buying upgrades and shields is either reliant on gambling at the Wheel or watching ads, however, I have experienced significant problems with buffering ads and currently there is no way to skip a frozen ad except to restart the game, which also restarts the timer for Ad gold.

3. Buying the $6 package is enough to almost fully upgrade one power. Needless to say, you are either going to be watching a lot of ads or spending a lot of money if you want to upgrade, since coins are so sparse. I've been using the 20% extra coins and I'm still averaging around 50 per run (without the ad revive but with the upgraded coin addict).

Suggestions:

1. Put different denominations of coins in-game, some worth 1, some worth 10, some worth 100, and even the very rare 500 coin. Give players some incentive for exploring potential suicidal paths.

2. Put in an hourglass mechanic that slows down the surge of water or even pushes it back down, if even just to grab some coins and hit a freeze for a quick escape. Creating tight moments where we take risk for the big reward is key to create awesome recorded moments.

3. The Ad game is currently TotM's greatest weakness. Put in 500 gold ad gold for distant run, not time in game. Then, even if I die over and over again in level 1, the distance adds up and I can get that ad gold eventually.

4. Raise the amount of coins gained per $1 or lower the cost of upgrades. Or so something that doesn't require me to watch ads like a crazy man just to enjoy progression in the game.

5. Do something about battery life. I don't know why it's such a whirlpool but I've got one of the latest phones and it's still sucking in energy at around 1% per minute, which for a game that relies on constant replays only gives me a little more than an hour of play time.

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    What's the highest level u can rank

18. YuliYuli

YuliYuli Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2015
    I like your Zen mode idea :) This could widen the audience, as obviously some people hate rush. And I believe it might be nice to chill for a while, you know, for a change :)

Thanks a lot for the idea, we'll discuss that! And #4 is awesome! You rock!

19. YuliYuli

Jan 16, 2015
    20 :)

20. YuliYuli

Jan 16, 2015
    Thank you SO much for your thoughtful and very useful feedback! This is amazing to know that you really do care!

I promise that we will collect all your and other players' thoughts and suggestions, will discuss them all and will try our best to make an update close to perfection :)