Universal Tomb of the Mask - endless arcade (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by YuliYuli, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Thanks for the info. I guess that means i also sent a Thank You. :)

That said, the gameplay is no doubt fantastic. Arcade mechanics with a hint of platforming, and an endless run as well.

As for the "free continue on IAP purchase" another example is All Is Lost, where it gives +1 try for each character.

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I can go with the earlier comment of this being also my next Downwell (although, I still haven't finished it and it will stay on my device as one of the coolest game's I've ever played). But one thing would be missing here: I loooove that there is an actual ending in Downwell. Even if I'll never reach it. There is a goal to aim for. And most freemium endless games don't have any other goals apart from reaching further and further. So, a mode with an actual goal to reach would make this game twice as interesting (for me). Jeff Minter's Goat up is another example. Seems like an endless game but there is an ending too, or most of my beloved randomly generated roguelikes... go to floor x and make it back alive. But that's just my personal wish. Right now, I still have TONS to unlock and do in this game, so interest ist still at level 200! :D

3. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I actually would like to see that spin wheel fleshed out more. I'm addicted to that effing thing. I have 58 shields lol

What do you guys think?

Billy

4. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yes, as Billy has pointed out already pop up ads are not turned on currently.

So, current "no ads" purchase is rather a "thanks" to devs, as the probability of us turning on pop up ads in this game is close to zero, because our latest two games "Into the Dim" and "Hyper Swiper" where we did not turn on pop ups outperformed our past games with pop ups ("Fist of Fury" and etc.) - so it's most likely that with updates we will turn off pop ups there as well.

I, however, do agree that giving it a more "premium" experience is a must and we will take it into account with updates.

The current solution is a historic legacy and was implemented like that because of some soap in our eyes because we were working on them a bit too long to see it as others with an unbiased view can see.

In the meanwhile enjoy the game folks and keep posting your suggestions if you feel so. They all will be taken into account with updates. And we are sorry for not making it better with a more premiup "no ads" upgrade and "coind doublers" in the first version - rest assured, it will be done.

5. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    That's how it will happen with out upcoming "Joan Mad Run". It will have an ending and will be endless. Currently we are rushing it on by fixing tons of bugs. And "as always" it's 90-95% ready, although for a long time :-0

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Like Billy said, I'd love to see a little more on the Wheel of Fortune. Wether it be an extra continue or even like rare masks that can only be acquired from the wheel. My only other thing is Leaderboards. Granted, my GameCenter is broke on my phone, but my pet peeve are High Score Chasers with continues. Right now, I don't mind the continues at all, but if my GameCenter was working, I'd like to know that I kicked Billy's ass without using a continue. Maybe a separate leaderboard for people like me who don't use continues? Those are my only to things. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this game and would love to just see more of everything added to it.

With Into The Dim and now this game, I think you guys (devs) are on a whole other level than you used to be. These are two totally original and beautiful games IMO.

......Just my 2 cents.

7. Fruityth1ng

Fruityth1ng Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Great gameplay

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but adding my two cents: I'd like to pay for an option to never have to see "buy X" -where X is anything, in this game. For now, when dying, I'm annoyed by the "buy a continue" dialog.

The good gameplay could pull me in for a while, but any longer dedication / play is dependent on absence of those IAP things.

8. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up!

I would certainly support having a mode with a final level, though - a level where you actually find "the" mask - in tandem with the endless mode.

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    If you can make this into a premium like experience you will be my best friend. I also suggest having a leader board that only keeps track of the first run. I'm sorry but this is IMO better than PAC MAN 256. :)

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This, i definitely agree with. Pacman 256 is fantastic, but i just prefer this as the better game.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    A quick note:

Tomb of the Mask shows up in the "Battery Screen" of my phone as "Audio" which seems to suggest that it is playing music in the background, though it shouldn't.

It would be great if you could take a look at that, from a battery draining perspective, as it shouldn't be consuming battery in the background for that reason :)

Also, a final note, echoing someone else's comment: please add a "restart" button when you die, instead of forcing us to go to the main menu all the time.

Thanks!

12. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Amen to that!!!!!

13. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Does that also remove the "watch a video" for coins question?

14. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Currently the ad removal doesn't remove anything. It's supposed to remove pop-up ads which are not implemented, and maybe never will be.

15. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Been playing this for a couple days now. It's really fun! Haven't been able to post my score to Game Center yet since I can't get it to work ATM. In the meantime, I'm just gonna practice and level up as much as I can.

16. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    No it doesn't remove it :-0

In "Into the Dim" we had people who did complain that it was removed.

I think there are always will be people who like it and who does not.

But I think there is a working solution to that I've seen in other games.

A switch in settings that will turn it on or off - now I regret that we didn't implement this obvious thing from the beginning.

17. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Wanted also to put a little commend on this.

It's possible to get more coins when you upgrade power ups such as 'coin addict', 'coin magnet'.

And there are secred (side) levels filled with coins, although it takes a time to practice until you'll be able to not miss them.

18. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, first I was shocked about the low rate as well. But as soon as you play a couple of minutes, plenty of coins are flowing in. The upgrades do the job well. And there's is the gambling option via wheel of fortune. And I loooove the bonus tunnels :)

19. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Great news. The game mechanics are easily up there with the all-time greats like Temple Run, Crossy Road, Pac-Man 256, Downwell, etc., but some of the monetization has a little bit of a "pay-to-win" vibe to it with the continues and whatnot. I immediately bought the 0.99 pop-up remover, and no regrets there even if it doesn't end up doing anything, because I've paid much more for much lesser games.

I don't feel like the game strictly needs a definite end or goal, but it would be kind of cool to have that in addition to the score-based endless mode. Maybe some kind of time attack mode, i.e. clear this many stages as fast as possible?

As far as controls, I don't know what the deal is, but I just never have gotten comfortable with swipe-based movement in pretty much any game I've played. It would be fantastic if there were an option for dual d-pads in the bottom corners (or about 1/3 up the screen for the iPad, since it's easier to grip that way). I fell in love with the dual d-pad setup in the original Pac-Man Championship Edition for iPhone back in the day; being able to alternate between thumbs to very quickly input sequences of direction changes works extremely well, and I'm still disappointed that CE DX didn't keep that control scheme. MFi controller support would be sweet too, especially if both the d-pad and face buttons controlled direction for the same two-thumbs approach. Just put a shield button near the on-screen d-pads, or on the triggers for gamepads.

But yeah, this feels like something I would have spent hours playing on my C64 back in the day (kinda reminds me of Crossroads II, even though they're totally different games). Now I'll just spend hours playing it on my iPad I guess. ;)

20. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    That's the biggest issue IMHO. The game is based on score attack and leaderboards, why did they ruin it with this model... This game could have been an all time classic if it had a fair leaderboard placement.