Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard by Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LBG, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea

2. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    #162 red12355, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    The thing that everyone is forgetting is that when you put in things like dynamic shadows or lighting, the framerate takes a dip. The textures and shadows are the way they are probably to maintain smooth gameplay. Look at battlefield BC2 or Dead Space-- low res textures and crappy shadows everywhere. I think the "bad" graphics are more due to hardware limitations than GameLoft.

And I'm sure the graphics engine they are using has been upgraded incrementally with every game. (e.g. compare mc1 to mc2). What do people want them to do? Throw out their current engine and make a new one? Expecting PC or console level graphics is unrealistic.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, I think people are expecting Dead Space level graphics. And games like Aralon managed to maintain a decent framerate and still deliver dynamic shadows.

Personally, I think that dynamic shadows or anti-aliasing matter very little compared to depth of gameplay, quality of storytelling, and level design. As far as I'm concerned, Gameloft's best action/adventure game is Sacred Odyssey, which had so-so graphics (though it had some nice touches).

4. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    OMG someone is actually complaining about the engine? someone need to check his/her eyes.... this looks kinda good, but PLEASE! NO AUTO-AIM, AUTO-AIM is for NOOBS! and it makes games SO boring....

5. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Nah look how smooth Aralon and Dead Space and even BC2 run on 3rd/4th generation devices. Far past 30 FPS. More like ~45. there is plenty of room to add detail.

Real Racing 2 completely overdoes it and runs at ~25 FPS, but a perfect 30 FPS balance is possible.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Strange, Real Racing 2 definetly runs at alot more than 25 fps for me.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    3rd Gen vs 4th Gen ;).

8. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    Aralon runs way less than 45 fps on my 4th gen, maybe 20-30fps at the most

9. Der-Kleine

Both have the same GPU. The 4.th gen has 4 times as many pixels. Yea, it doesen't make sense.

10. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Apple unlocked the GPU in the 4th gen. In the 3rd gen it was downclocked to 100 MHZ but in the 4th gen they enabled the full 200 MHz.

Also the 3rd gen's performance issues don't come from the GPU. The GPU at 100 MHz is more than enough for great looking games at 480 x 320. But it's limited by memory bandwidth. The actual CPU performance of the A4 isn't much higher (only ~20-30% in tests) than the 3GS chip but it has double the memory bus width and much higher memory clock speeds. (Almost doubly as fast in this sense.)

And if you know about GPUs, you know memory performance is a very important factor.

Also Real Racing 2 doesn't always run at 25 FPS. Normally it is at 30 FPS or higher but in very intensive scenes where there are like 10 cars on the screen (rapes the memory bus) and then the frame rate just dies.

But the Apple A5 sounds promising. We'll see if it's true in the iPad 2 reveal in just a few days, but if the dual core 1 GHz + new dual core SGX543 GPU rumors are true you could get over double the CPU and over quadruple the GPU performance compared to the A4. And if Apple wants it...OpenGL 3.2.

Of course it will be at least a year before developers take advantage of the epic combo, but until then...every App Store game @ 60 FPS? Hell yeah.

11. matrixhunter

matrixhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    have u noticed that some of them have 12 levels only i did play other gameloft games i just thought there wasnt gonna be multiplayer in this game cause there is no news on it like shadow guardian doesnt have multiplayer but has 12 levels
    modern combat 2 12 levels . nova 2 12 levels , nova 12 levels, BIA 2 12 levels, Shadow guardian 12 levels no multi, Hero of Sparta 1 and 2 12 levels no multi, Splinter Cell 12 levels no multi

12. Wgamer64

Wgamer64 Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I think it needs a decent multiplayer experience, otherwise you pay for just the campaign which you really only play once.

13. Der-Kleine

#173 Der-Kleine, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    Ok, let's start, with a few things:

1. The avrage level length in Modern Combat 2 for example is 20 I'd say.

12 x 20 = 240 mins = 4 hours.

The Modern Combat series is of course a copy of CoD, Black Ops for example has an about 6 hour campaign, but the game costs about 7 times as much.

2. Shaddow Guardian is pretty much a tech demo of their new engine and has only 8 levels. (Some of wich are quite abit longer than 20 minutes). Do other tech demos that were available in December have multiplayer? I think not...

Multiplayer doesen't make sense in some of gamelofts games. And it isn't available in exactly those. For example, The Hero of Sparta series, do you really think it would be incredibly fun to stand next to your enemy and mash the attack button? no. Gamelofts version of Splinter Cell is pretty much the same, it wasn't designed for Co-op or Combat.

In most games that is the case, I'd only play it once, but in Modern Combat 2 for example there are some missions I just love playing again. (Embassy assault for example, there are so many ways to enjoy the slow-mo breaching scenes (for example, throw a grenade and watch it flying through the air, bounce of a wall and kill two enemys! :p ))

14. matrixhunter

Sep 24, 2010
    yea true dat but splinter cell convinction on the xbox has multiplayer but gameloft didnt bother adding it which they shouldve and they should add multiplayer to this game too in my opinion it makes sense in this game like ur squad vs the terriost squad something like that :D

15. Der-Kleine

Yes, but I mean the levels and gameplay in the iPod version wouldn't work verry well in co op.

16. Wgamer64

Wgamer64 Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Yeah, I love the bunker level. But looking at this game, it could have a good multiplayer experience. Gameloft has a few tricks up it's sleeve, I can tell it.

17. matrixhunter

Sep 24, 2010
    yea true that

18. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    I don't and I (attempt to:eek:) surf.

19. Trautman

Trautman Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009