GameClub Toki Tori (by TwoTribes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VoodooVyper, May 21, 2009.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I've not had a chance to play TT yet, but BCF comes highly reccomended.:)

2. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    If you like quality puzzle games then Toki Tori is it. If you never played any of the previous TT versions you will likely get into it strongly. I'm just used to the older versions' DPAD movement, so to me its kind of like taking the traditional mario game with a DPAD and making the sequel into a point and click to move adventure.

3. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #103 TouchChatterbox, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Fair enough. I'll pop this one on the TO BUY list, still on the fence about BCF! (Is this livin'? A joke only people from Australia will get ;))

4. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I'm from Australia and I don't get it o.0

5. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Toki Tori is soooo damn good. I'm just afraid I'll get tormented and beat-up if my buddies see me playing....the little "chick" is just too damn cute waddling from ledge to ledge:D

Btw, I think the control scheme is really intuitive and I, never having played before now, think a d-pad would just be too involved...

6. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    #106 Albtraum, May 22, 2009
    Honestly, I don't think I would have bought this if it had a virtual d-pad.

I had a gameboy 15 years ago. I don't want to play gameboy games on my iphone. I want something that fits the machine.

7. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm too old school I guess

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Option is always nice. Difference with point and click is it feels less immersive. As someone said earlier, it's like playing Mario Bros with point and click to move: you feel like you're controlling Mario, but not Mario himself.

9. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    No, if you played the same game on a previous system and you liked the controls, then it's perfectly understandable if you wish this had the same controls...

I'm just saying that I personally have been trying to avoid buying iphone games with virtual control pads. I think it's not an interesting use of the device. Since I've never played this game before, I am enjoying the touch control on this one - and if it had had a big pretend controller floating in the corner of the screen, I might not have considered buying it.

10. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Believe me I remember when I first got this game for the GBC. I was in Funcoland searching for some puzzle games when I came across this one and thought it looked interesting even though no one was hyping it or talking about it. It was in the bargain bin just a few months after it's release for about $5. I bought it went home and played it and thought wow what a sleeper gem. So I understand that those playing it for the first time to are likely to get a strongly positive first impression from it. It's a great puzzle game.

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    [​IMG]

The iPhone version actually doesn't look too bad compared to the Wii version. However, I hate how the edge of the water looks crude in the iPhone version. Sorry for being picky, but that's the first thing that bugs me from the screenshots. Not a deal breaker though :)

ps: the wii version looks more blurry because the image I used has very bad compression.

12. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Agreed that option for d-pad would be nice. If I ever get a chance I'll play TT on a Gameboy to see, but for me this control method feels comfortable and natural. I'm sure, with enough insistance Two Tribes will include one in an update, Chillingo seem to get players what they want.

Chillingo have suprisingly been MIA...bet they're sitting in a lounge chair, pool-side counting stacks o' cash:D

13. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #113 BrettArchibald, May 22, 2009

Tell me about it... :(

I saw the preview video for this aaaaages ago, and commented on the control system to the developers, saying that if I were to play the game, I would probably have preferred a "swipe" method myself, and that other players may prefer other methods, and that maybe they should implement a choice of control systems for the wants of different players...

Yet they insisted that the one single solitary control method they had implemented would please everyone because it was the best, and that once people had tried it, they would be convinced. And they offered to send me an ad-hoc copy to put my mind at rest and to convince me.

So they sent it and I tried it out, and sure, whilst the control system certainly wasn't as un-intuitive as I had initially imagined it to be, I still did prefer the idea of using a swipe method.

For thos who are interested, here is a copy-and-paste of what I wrote to the developers about the control system:

The one thing I did want to re-assure them of though, and that I will say here again to anyone else reading this — I did absolutely LOVE the game, and although I would have preferred a different control system, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me when it comes to deciding whether to buy the game or not...

14. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    The DPAD works good for this game because your character only moves left right up or down,doesn't move or shoot diagnally, doesn't jump, and needs to be positioned precisely often. So some of the problems associated with other DPAD iPhone games wouldn't apply.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Anyone has two tribes' TA username? I'd like to PM them a few questions.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Makes sense. A digital style 4 way instead of an analog probably would be precise, good point.

17. TwoTribes

TwoTribes Well-Known Member

That would be us ;-) Fire away! ;)

18. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    thanks for toki tori. it was worth a wait.

19. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEk®
    washington
    After playing it for over an hour its great, knowing Hard mode is being unlocked as I progress is cool. Nice graphics with barely any loading time.

20. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Toki Tori is such a spectacular game. Anyone else feeling like wobbling left and right everytime a level is completed and Toki Tori wobbles left and right before going into the portal? lol