GameClub Toki Tori (by TwoTribes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VoodooVyper, May 21, 2009.

1. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I was in the middle of typing and hit the 4 when I meant 5. I don't often give out a 5 around here.

2. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Archibald is my favorite platformer. Is Toki better? We'll see.

LOL, at first I thought this was a sequel to Toki: Going Ape Spit.

3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    if you never played any of the Toki Tori's before then I'd recommend it. I'm more fixated on the older controls from the GBC, I think they were better. The new ones aren't horrible, I jusr prefer the good old DPAD or analog stick for moving in this game. Its still the same great game as it always was. Its like a chill puzzle game.

4. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Great review Albie. Question though, what's there to do when you beat the game? Do the levels have any sort of award system?

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I don't know, I think the touch to go anywhere mechanic work well for this type of game, the puzzles don't require constant navigation or acrobatics like Donkey Kong, you're just moving into position to scope the setup.

6. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Had to buy it after all. Might be a rush judgment, but so far so damn good. Excellent graphics and music. Game play is fantastic. WOW!:D:eek:

7. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Its a matter of opinion for sure, but Im just into the older DPAD where I felt it was easier to micro-move and get into position quickly. I'm too OG I guess, I prefer the GBC version

8. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    There is no award system, but you unlock hard modes as you clear enough levels within each world.

9. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Not bad, plus getting to play through 80 levels isn't to shabby either. :rolleyes:

What is the scale for the average level? (eg approximately how long can we expect to play an average level)

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    The early levels are pretty easy, but I can tell you on some of the harder levels I've gotten into, the mazes can be elaborate, and I've had to start over and over again on several. A good analogy may be sokoban games. There's no such thing as a straight line and in many cases, you have to double back.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    One thing though, sometimes the music in the intro screen or loading seems a little glitchy, like it stutters and seems like it wasn't looped right.

Also, I think if Toki is stuck, he should look around in confusion after 5 or 10 seconds, it just makes the game feel unfinished when you're just standing there.
    Guess it can't hurt for the developer to include a d-pad in his next update. I'm all for it then.

Game is great so far (haven't gotten to any hard levels yet). Hopefully this shoots up to the top of the charts.

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    5 on the Albie meter? Are you pulling my leg? The videos look so dull. This is the one game I have not been anticipating. Well, a 5 is serious business. If I wasn't interested before, I am now. I will get it. :)

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, I somehow prefer virtual Dpad too. The one in Archibald's Adventure is great and works well.

Once again people, should I get this or stick with Archibald's Adventure? (still not convinced :p)

14. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Do I ever pull your leg? The animation and colors are much more, and the video doesn't show it all.

15. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    If they were to add an option of a DPAD with the same sensitivity of response as on the GBC DPAD, then I think many if not most would prefer to use that scheme

16. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Does this include all of the levels from the Wii version? I've got both so I'm trying to decide which platform. It seems like the sort of pick up and play game that would be great on the iphone/ipod. From the videos it sort of reminds me of Solomon's Key for the NES.

17. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I just got this and it really looks much better than in the screenshots due to the animations as Toki walks/flaps his wings/exits a level. Really awesome, and I was skeptical about the control scheme at first, but now, I wouldn't play the game with a virtual D-pad as the current controls are already perfect.

18. dawxxx666

dawxxx666 Active Member

Yes, this is the same levels.

19. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't expect two tribes to add an dpad option anyway, so I'll play this game as it is, but I'll go back and enjoy the GBC and Wii versions and the DPAD movement alot more. The core of the gameplay is the same for all of them, even most of the levels are the same.

20. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #100 TouchChatterbox, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    I don't have Bobby Carrot, should I get this, that one or both? And which Bobby Carrot does everyone recommend? Forever?

I do like quality puzzle games, over things like Tetris and Columns but am a long-time Lemmings fan (which they should hopefully port soon too!) so this kind of strikes me as a riff on those games albeit at a slower pace...