GameClub Toki Tori (by TwoTribes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VoodooVyper, May 21, 2009.

1. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    I might have lots of free time to give them my attention the end of August. A weeks vacation to California and we gotta drive. :eek: 14 hours on the road will be filled up with serious ipod charging.

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    This is an offer I can't refuse. Or can I? Whatever, I just bought it. Great game so far.

3. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Its been some time that I stopped playing it online.. :eek:

I am playing it right now, locally though...

4. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I have a question about this game. I've seen it recommended all over TA and read about it, but for a game that seems pretty popular it has so little iTunes reviews on it. Did they re-release it or somethign and the reviews get wiped? I'm going to buy it regardless =p i'm just curious

5. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i know me either i never really saw anything in it but im gonna try it out now
    they dont want it cause it takes longer for pages to load with an avatar

6. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Just bought it.
    Hopefully no regrets? Albie gave a nice review so I should be happy.

7. mihir79

mihir79 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Loved the lite...

Expected a drop to 2.99, this is a pleasant surprise:)

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #348 Big Albie, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    Review: Toki Tori is one really good egg (re-posted)

Watching the game trailer and reading the pre-release hype, my expectations were minimal when it came to Toki Tori. How fun could it be to move a bird around a screen collecting eggs? After spending some time with this, Toki Tori is not only a solid game, it delivers high entertainment value worth every cent.

Toki Tori is not a traditional platformer which is actually a good thing. This is an elaborate puzzle game where your objective is to collect all the eggs in each level before you’re allowed to progress to the next level. The game has four worlds with a total of 80 levels: Forest Falls, Creepy Castle, Slimy Sewer, and Bubble Barrage. With the exception of the first level in Forest Falls, all the worlds are locked.

Visually, Toki Tori looks great from the animation and smooth framerates to the jovial soundtrack. One thing that caught me off guard initially is that there are no instructions with only a barebones menu included. However, you do receive occasional pop-up dialog windows at the beginning of some levels that provide a quick tutorial. It’s not ideal, but not a big deal either.

The controls are easy and intuitive (two words I like when describing controls):
    * Tap where you want Toki to go (arrows appear to show the direction Toki can move)
    * To pan, use two fingers and drag the screen
    * Pinch to zoom in and out (provides a nice overview of the map and freezes the action)
    * Use tilt to turn Toki in the desired direction (you don’t have to use this or set anything; this is part of Toki’s abilities)

An additional control scheme may something to consider since people with bigger fingers may have with tapping to move. Some areas are small, and while I didn’t have any issues, I can see it being one for others. Also, when you pan to a certain location, it will automatically return to the original spot of Toki after a few seconds. What would be ideal is if this were more of a manual process where you had the control to move it back especially if you’re considering your next move.

Toki is not a completely unarmed bird and by progressing through levels, tools/items are provided. These tools are the following:

Bridge—build a path across gaps
    Telewarp—transport from one location to another
    Freeze-o-matic—turns enemies into ice cubes
    Brick Switch—move stacks of bricks
    Ghost Trap—creates a hole that ghosts drop through
    Slug Sucker—removes slugs by sucking them up
    Instant Rock—becomes an extra step or fills gaps
    Bubble Suit—allows Toki to swim underwater

Also, a Wildcard is available which allows for skipping a level. I didn’t have any idea what this was initially, but you only have one to use at a time. And, additional Wildcards are only given when you complete the level that was previously skipped. This is a nice option because some of these levels can be challenging, and it helps to step away for a little while.

Toki will come across various obstacles that potentially can trap him, and a straight line is hardly ever the right path to take. Also, each world has its own resident enemy.

Porcupine—Forest Falls
    Ghost—Creepy Castle
    Slug—Slimy Sewer
    Fish—Bubble Barrage

An intro appears before each level that shows the # of eggs to be collected and the available tools. When a number appears by a tool, this signifies a limited number of uses. Without a number means unlimited usage in that level. On the gameplay screen, you have various gauges to track. In the upper right-hand corner is the egg count showing the remaining number of eggs to be collected. And an Item Bar, which shows items/tools that can be used for that level. Under Options, you can set this bar to either appear down the left or right side of the screen. To use these tools, you tap on them and follow the on-screen prompt.

The game is simply a lot of fun, and you will find yourself stumped on some levels. There are moments in the game when Toki is idle, and he will whip out a map or grow a beard waiting for you next move, so there’s a nice dose of humor. The gameplay is smooth, polished, and really well thought out. If Toki touches an enemy, the level is automatically over, and if you get stuck, you can always restart the level. Keep in mind that falling doesn’t harm Toki since he is a bird, and he’ll simply glide downwards. I have had no issues with the controls in moving or climbing, and for me, they are spot on. There is essentially no learning curve, and you should be able to pick this up and play right away.

Beyond some of the minor issues with the skimpy menu and other cosmetic items, Toki Tori is a solid game—there’s no other way to put it. If you like puzzles with a simple, yet challenging objective, you can’t go wrong with this.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (recommended for people who like puzzles and want a game that looks good; this game is done well)

9. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Just purchased! Awesome game

10. app-inured

app-inured Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Eyed it on the Wii, but thought the iPhone version would suit me better, and now that the price is right they got me!

11. jmmsmth

jmmsmth Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    yep, its a cool game totally worth it now

12. Human

Human Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I've been waiting for a price drop on this game and it's here. It's starting to get challenging now.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Big Albie, is that your old review from previous Toki Tori thread or did you just buy the game and review it? because I kinda remember you had reviewed it. No problem at all, just asking (to test my memory? :p)

14. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    It's a repost from when it was first released.

15. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I looked at Albie's review, and I looked at the dollar sitting on my table and I was like "yeah.. *buy*"

Fun game so far, I only worked to level 9 for now, and I have to finish some work before I can go play more.

16. eggrolls11

eggrolls11 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    argh :D I bought this at 4.99 when it first came out! The levels get soooo challenging that after only one level completed i take a break for like 2 days :p it's a steal at 99 cents. sadly, i don't play this that often, since i'm more of a pick up and play non-stop action game type person.

but don't get me wrong; this is THE best game you can buy for 99 cents. I probably will never finish all 80 levels. :D

but if you're into hardcore action games, this is not for you, even if it's 99 cents.

17. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    lol that sucks, think ill get it for 1$ now, looks pretty fun

18. This was on my fence list -- stuff that looked good but I was kind of on the fence about. Definitely a no brainer now, and now that I've played it, I have to say this is a damn fun game that I wouldn't have regretted spending $5 on. The graphics are top notch, and the animations are studio quality. Really, really well done.

19. whoisian

whoisian Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I bought the game on an impulse today and I have to say I'm hugely impressed and dare I say addicted to the game. I'm generally a fan of action titles but I think I've gained a greater appreciation for the puzzle genre now.

I hope they make a sequel or something. I'll be saddened when I finish playing.

20. TwoTribes

TwoTribes Well-Known Member

Where are you right now? Since it will take you several hours to complete the game, especially when you also want to complete all hard levels.