iPad To Devs Who Hand Out Promo Codes...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Dec 11, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    i have gotten promotional codes and have reviewed their apps with 4+ stars.

but im sure one day, ill get a free app that is absolutely terrible...

do devs want us to rate their app low or just give out suggestions here? or both?

for example, i kinda would feel bad if i leave a one star for something that costs $1.99.. then my review drags their review count down... :(

so devs, please tell us what you want. and keep them promos coming :D jk.

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Wow, they pretty much tell you in their first post to leave unbiased reviews. If you'd bother to actually read the whole post. Close thread...

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I've got quite a few free apps

Luckily none that I hated *keeps his fingers crossed*

I rate every game honestly but if it was bad I'd talk with the dev about some suggestions (I ALWAYS have suggestions, it's my job). If they are open to making their app better I'll leave the game on my phone and wait for an update before I give it a full review.

In the end every dev wants to make their game better, cause happy gamers leads to more word of mouth.

I consider the promos the same way I do when I get a beta version of a game.

4. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    ^^^ yeah. i offer suggestions and have done a lot of beta testing as well.

with beta testing, you talk to the devs directly. if an app is horrible, are we suppose to give them a review too or just contact them

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    For me anyway, I don't really expect a review one way or the other. Sure it'd be fantastic if a nice review got added, and not so great if a bad review resulted from a promotion. I think if I were on the receiving end of a promo code, and I had a problem with the game, I'd want to give the dev a chance to explain themselves, rather than writing a bad review, since they did just give me a free game. But that's just me.

6. Deadlock

Deadlock Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    They want 100% god awful truth. If you think the game needs improvements say it does. No on wants to give you a free game just so they get a good review. That means nothing. Honest reviews is what they want.

7. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    With beta testing you give the review to the developer. It is different because the feedback is private. Just because you have the beta you can't leave a review on iTunes. With the promo code you get the game, and I can only assume that means you can leave a review for it on itunes. I'd use common sense here. The game was free, leave a positive review or a neutral one that has constructive critism, but don't trash the game. I'd think you'd be better off saying nothing if it is terrible.

Might I add, don't get greedy folks. Just because someone is offering codes doesn't mean you have to jump on every one. Pick the games you want to play or you think you'd like.

/my 2 pennies

8. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Just be sure to be constructive if it's a bad review... don't just say "it sucks" or something, but sure to explain what you think would make it better and the devs will appreciate it a lot, then if they make changes, update your review and give them some extra credit for listening

9. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    #9 Birdsoft, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    What LWBS said. You are getting a free game.... And yes we want criticism and feedback directly. But, I actually dont love the fact that the review system has become a "here's a 1 star, heres how to fix your game, I promise I'll change my rating on it if you do a good update, wait I guess I forgot to change it after your update(sorry about having the 1star 5 months later)". If you are going to give a low rating, why not skip it and have a direct dialogue with the developer on what you think can be improved...

There are much better ways to let the developer know and if you recieved the code from them you probably have a way to contact them directly. A lot of people use the review system almost like a forum now, only we cant talk back to you, so our only response is with an update which you wont even see for at the very least a week... Its very limiting...

10. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I've beta tested several games and reviewed lots of games as well. Here's what I do. If I think the game is worthy of four stars or more, I review it on iTunes and I might even try helping get the word out about it if I like it enough (Quadrum:Colors :)). If I think the game needs some work, I just send my suggestions to the developer and see what they can do. Eventually, the problems will usually get fixed and then I review the game after I think it's worth four+ stars. :)

Oh, and if you got a promo code from a developer, and you hate the game, just leave them feedback. I'm sure they'd hate to have a bad review after they just gave you their game for free. It'd be a lot better to not write a review rather than righting a bad review.

If you bought a game and you hate it, you should probably give constructive feedback instead of things like "this ap is so bad! centroles are horuble! it crash evry day! DONT BYE IT CUZ ITS SO BDA!" - and make sure you edit your reviews on the app store if the developer has updated it enough to make it a better app.

Those are just my thoughts :)

11. mbbs

mbbs Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Does anybody know if these promotional codes work outside the US iTunes store ?

12. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    No they don't!
    Curse you Apple!
    ;)

13. jaisor

jaisor Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Lead Software Developer
    Irvine CA
    I would expect an honest an unbiased review and suggestions. I believe even bad but honest reviews help a lot more than no reviews. Honest reviews even bad, still express interest and often lead to improvements.

14. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Exactly. Constructive criticism is great. But if you have the ability to email the dev about it, it's much more productive than a one star review. I have an email button in my game, and talk with many people all the time about various questions and feature requests. Some requests make it into the game, and some do not. But they all get a lot more attention than someone who complains in a review, as I've found that most complaints are misunderstandings in the first place, and when a dialogue happens, everybody wins. One star reviews are frustrating, as half of them are written like they want tech support, but I have no way to help them.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    The problem with giving bad reviews is that the next person to read them has no idea that the problem had been fixed months ago. And frankly, almost nobody revises their reviews. So the app is forever tarnished with something that could've easily been resolved in the span of a couple days.

16. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    On one hand I agree BUT

On one hand I agree with Birdsoft and LWBS but the reality is different for many of the apps I have purchased. I've sent emails to many, many developers with questions, problems, bug alerts, constructive feedback, etc but seldom if ever do I get a response. Sad but true. Some developers do not even have an email address in the app, its iTunes page or the apps related webpage!

So I like to read honest reviews. If there is a problem with an app I want to know about it before I make my purchase. I know reviews are not perfect. I know they are often out of date. But they are sometimes better than nothing.

I generally email the dev and if I get no reply I will then mention the problem in my review. I think everyone else should do the same too. Contact the dev first but if no response or no satisfactory answer or explanation then please mention the problem or issue in an honest review of the app.

17. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    #17 Daylater, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
    As a new iPhone Developer I can tell you that no one "Wants" a 1 star review. A 1 star review is generally perceived as "Do Not Buy" and what developer wants that?

A better solution in my opinion would be to give the app what you feel it deserves, if that’s 1 star then so be it. Now if the app itself is decent but has technical or design flaws you should point them out in a constructive way. Offer a solution and give it a rating that justifies your experience.

Personally, if I feel an app deserves 1 star I will e-mail the developer directly. Give them my feedback and any suggestions I have to improve the applications. and I simply won’t review the game. Surprisingly a lot of the time the developer will make the changes, and then I can post a review that’s not completely condemning. Always try to help, Never try to Hurt is the way i look at it. We all want teh awesome!

- So on that note, Would you guys be interested if I were to offer a handful of Promotional codes for my new game? "BLAST!" - http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=2076

18. superbad

Nov 6, 2008
    You need to stalk me?
    yes please!

19. MidnightS

MidnightS Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I haven't handed out promo codes just yet but if and when I do I would expect honest feedback so that I could improve the app. However, this doesn't necessarily mean a 1 star rating and a lot of hate.

I was in contact with AppCraver and they simply won't cover your app if they don't like it at all. So, if someone who got a promo code simply hates the app I would expect a certain degree of decency to not display publicly any hatred for the app. A paying customer is one thing (although I still appreciate some restraint) but for someone you gave the app to it's entirely different. Now, if you think the app is merely OK but could use improvement I wouldn't mind a 2-3 star review and some solid feedback so I can take the app to the next level. Anything lower than that and I would appreciate private communication to resolve that user's issues.

I used to play this game Orbz which some of you might have heard of. The game was predominantly multiplayer and had a very tight community. The game by design allowed players to be jerks to each other by abusing certain power-ups. Most of the players though did not approve of those gameplay mechanics.

"No Negs" was a term people came up with to let each other know that we'd all play to the best of our own ability without throwing each other under the bus. I think the same principle applies here. Challenging someone and throwing them under the bus are 2 very different things. I feel that it would be throwing a developer under the bus to take their app for free and completely rip it a new one.

20. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    This amazes me. I feel bad when I can't answer an email for three hours because I'm at my day job. Most of my emails get answered within minutes in the evenings.