To buy a PSP...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by tzual, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    So my friend is offering me a PSP 1000 for 75 bucks included with these games

- Medal of Honor (not sure which one)
    - Lumines
    - Star Wars Battlefront 2

Sounds like a pretty good deal right? Should i buy it? I'm kinda running low on money ATM but i've always wanted a PSP. And what are the MUST-HAVE games on the PSP? Thanks.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    That's a good deal if you want to get a PSP. Personally I prefer my iPhone, I never use my PSP anymore.
    It's up to you, but I know I'd put that money towards a 4th gen iPod Touch if I was in your position.

As for games, MGS: Peace Walker is supposed to be good, although I've never played it.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's kind of a good deal. The 1000 has probably the worst screen of the bunch, and you can probably get a used 3000 for 30 or 40 bucks more. As I understand it, though, the 3000 is not hackable, which will keep you from getting emulators, homebrew stuff, etc.

The games you are getting are kind meh. Lumines is a good puzzle game, but the iPhone has a ridiculous number of games in that genre, and that wouldn't be the reason to get a PSP. Medal of Honor will welcome you warmly into face-button aiming hell: as far as i'm concerned, FPS games simply don't work on the PSP (much rather play NOVA). SW Battlefront 2 is decent, but the PS2 version was much better. You'll find all three titles at around $10 each at GameStop

There are a couple of threads already on "best" PSP games, but here are a few of the usual suspects:

God of War
    Daxter
    Jean D'Arc
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    GTA Vice City and Liberty City Stories
    Patapon
    Monster Hunter Freedom United
    FF Crisis Core and Dissidia (I hate both, but most people think they're great)

I'm sure others will chime in with more titles. Personally, I love Daxter to bits, and I actually had a blast with Rockstar's The Warriors, a title that rarely gets mentioned. I just picked up Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, and it's pretty great. I would also recommend the recent rerelease of Lunar, and a bunch of PS1 classics.

Keep your eye out for bargains; used UMDs go for cheap (well, cheap compares to console games).

4. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    If you don't mind getting an old console, its actually a good thing because you can get many dirt cheap games that are still great games nonetheless. I say go for it if you are a good dealhunter (aka not going to gamestop).

5. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I think it´s a pretty good deal. But you should check the status of the battery, it should be quite old by now.

I got one 5 years ago just to play Wipeout series.
    there are tons of other good and cheap games around

But I was mostly running homebrew music stuff.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you're into PSOne Classics as you should be, it's worth owning a PSP.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I enjoyed FF Crisis Core :p Not Dissidia though.

Some other games that I enjoyed:
    - Resistance Retribution (multiplayer was very fun)
    - NHL 07 (like the only decent hockey game on the PSP, but I still love it :p)
    - God of War
    - Monster Hunter Series
    - GTA Series

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Look on Craigslist for your city and see if you find a better deal. I'd personally skip on the 1000. The low screen refresh rates create a ghost image for a lot of the newer games (and a few older ones) where there is a lot of high contrast scenery moving around.
    Those games aren't really that great. There are much better games.
    Dissidia
    crisis core
    burnout
    wipeout
    peace walker
    resistance
    socom 3 (the controls are much better in this version)
    god of war
    gta
    MLB The Show 09
    twisted metal
    many many more

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    All you need is Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Ah! That's the one I forgot.. I thought of Phantasy Star Portable before writing my post, then while writing, completely forgot about it :p

But yea, Phantasy Star Portable is awesome.

11. umpire12

umpire12 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    if you want a port of a console gaming on the go go ahead. but i heard there might be psp2 coming or news sometime in the near future

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not for a while. If the rumors are true, developers are just getting the SDK and demo units; with the typical 1 year development cycle for console games, and Sony's desire to pull a 3DS coup and launch with a host of serious titles, my guess is that we won't be seeing a PSP2 till sometime around holidays on 2011.

13. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    The games on PSP are hardly ports. A port is the same exact game, brought to a different console. Are you talking about PS1 CLX?
    Even the games that were brought to the PSP as supplements to their console counterparts were pretty decent, if not desirable. Really the only games that were shoddy supplements of console games were the Ubisoft games (A company I've never really liked to begin with) Assasins Creed, GRAW, RS: Vegas, were decent titles, but definitely lacked the content most gamers want.
    Please pick up a PSP and play some Burnout, God of War, many of the Final Fantasy titles and spin offs, Resistance, Peace Walker and Port. Ops, some SOCOM 3 online, The Show online, and many more game, and I think you will quickly retract your statement.
    Really, the PSP is the closest to a console that you get without feeling portable. The iPhone has got some great games, but they are definitely lacking in one area or another. Please, play some of the better games on the console before insinuating it is dumbed-down.