To all the people claiming that piracy is not lost sales :

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by c0re, Jan 14, 2010.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I think it's because people, as cavalier as they want to sound about it, can't look at themselves in the mirror and say, "I'm a thief". They desperately cling to any bs argument that calls it anything but what it is: theft.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ya, it`s your constitutional right to have a lite version for every game in appstore :rolleyes:

If you are a pirate then you arent welcome here. Cya in 4 days.;)

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Ever heard of trade? It's where you give someone a bunch of money (or possibly various other items) in exchange for goods and/or services. If you just take those good/services without paying... you owe that person money. If you don't consider entertainment media goods, you can at least consider them services.

4. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    What's also fascinating, if the logic was followed to it's end, and could willy nilly just try out any game for free why would you need a site like TA?

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    You left the part where if you didn't pay for the copy you printed out and left with out paying...that my friend is considered stealing. Common sense anyone? :rolleyes:

6. one f jef

one f jef Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Uhh, try not associating people who download things with MURDERERS and RAPISTS!

And you think I'M the one that needs help? You need to seriously re-evaluate your world view. Perhaps even therapy would be in order ... Seriously. Software piracy is the same to you as ending another human beings LIFE? Or ruining it with physical and psychological trauma? God damn man, you are SICK!

I never said it was GOOD or RIGHT or JUST, I simply was playing devils advocate about the sticking points of the issue, trying to explain why it such a controversial topic and, in the end, a bunch of zealots on an obscure message board cannot have any impact on the issue anyway.

So take a chill pill, and then go see someone about your disgusting world view.

7. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Well said!

This whole "we pirate games, because people have a right to choose whether to buy or not and they are simply offering that option" is BS!

So now we have an option to download a free app with the option for DLC, let see what reasonings pirates dream up to justify their actions!
    :mad:

8. Scottlarsen

Nov 25, 2009
    First of all, I wasn't talking to you at first. You called me a f**king idiot for expressing a general opinion. You did provide a justification for piracy by comparing it to taking bread or making a copy of a document and not paying for it. Now you suggest that I am somekind of a zealot and need therapy. I was not involved in a discussion about which is the greater offense, piracy, rape, or murder. They are all wrong in my book. I'm glad I don't live in your world, where that opinion requires therapy. Grow up and get a life.

9. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    My only comment about piracy being lost sales is that it's probably not ONLY because if people are going to steal games then they probably were never going to pay for them in the first place so the publishers aren't exactly losing sales-they are just being cheated out of a sale that should have been. Theft is wrong, period. Don't compare this to stealing a loaf of bread for survival because it's not. This is a completely unnecessary item for survival being stolen. I could survive fine without video games-I just don't want to so I pay for them-and so should you.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Oh my...
    You're such an ignorant fool.

11. daconcerror

daconcerror Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    none
    Scotland ;)
    think of it this way:

A £1.19 app on the appstore that [insert name here] doesnt really need but knowing they can get it for free download it anyway. This is not losing them any sales, if they didnt know they could get it free they would think, hmm buy this app for £1.19 and only use a few times? No.

12. exosyphen

exosyphen Well-Known Member

OMG!!!

2 more pages later and nobody want to listen to some real FACTS.

What you DO LISTEN IS:
    - Some article on some site based on figures and facts that are totally flawed.
    - ONE (ONE!!!) developers frustration that he didn't get rich from one iPhone app.

As MoonMist stated it: You won't get rich from one app.
    How much money and time did that developer invest in that game?
    Did he put in $1 million and 2 years of development with a team of 50 people, and ended up making 2 sales, and all else was lost due to piracy?

These are facts you SHOULD LISTEN to:

- Facts I have told you. Based on my experience of 8+ years in making indie games. These are FACTS and not fancy numbers pulled from my a*s.

FACTS:

- 9 out of 10 times our game ends up on a torrent, pirates are nice enought to link to our site. We get a lot of traffic and a boost in sales.

- 50% of the people that KEEP a pirated copy, actually come to our site and purchase it. And admit that for a fact. Quote: "I downloaded your game from a torrent. I love it, and I value your hard work put into this great game. I have decided to buy it".

At the end of the day, for every 5 copies pirated, 1 actually buys it and I make money. I don't spend any time or money to reach that audience. It is impossible for me to reach 100% of gamers worldwide.

HOW MUCH DO I LOSE?

I "lose" 5 copies of a game to sell 1 for REAL MONEY.
    I find it one hell of a great advertising campaign.
    I don't lift a finger, I make one sale, 5 people get a free game.

I don't SPEND any money.
    I don't LOSE any money (no money leaves my account).
    I MAKE MONEY from that 1 sale.

Is this so hard to get???

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Breaking a CONTRACT between a PROVIDER and a USER is what PISSES DEVS OFF.

Is this so hard to get ? :D

If Paul accepts to provide a service to Kevin, in exchange of money, and Kevin uses the service but don't give the money, it's a scam.

Whatever goddamn advantage you will find with Kevin scamming Paul, Paul will STILL BE PISSED OFF LOL.

Cheers

14. bingbingbiangbiang

Jan 14, 2010
    I'm sorry to digress a little, but this thread makes me remember a conversation between 2 person that I watched somewhere:

Boy - "I was told that before you die you get to see a flashback of your life, right before you, like a movie."

Man - "Ya, sure, how reliable do you think when those who has never died before tell you what he should only know when he is dead."

Piracy is deadly, in that eventually the mindset will become that of free lunch. When everyone around you pirates and the means to do so is easy and accessible, no one will ever pay.

Today you get 1 sales for every 5 you "lose"
    A year later you may get 1 for every 50 you "lose"
    5 years later when the younger tech-savvy generation grows up (assuming nothing changes in the industry), you will not get any sales since piracy becomes the norm.

You can provide better service, lower price, previews.

But nothing beats free. Nothing can compete with free.

I say, stop piracy. If you need it to survive, and can't afford it, by all means, steal, beg, borrows.

An iPhone app is not going to cost one an arm or a leg, or force one to sleep in the woods. Pay that darn $9.99 if you really really like the utility, or $0.99 if you have nothing to do and just want to burn some time, even if it turns out to be a bad game. Hey, we make bad choices all the time and go to lousy restaurants, bought lousy grocery, got con into buying bad novels.

What's the difference? That's part of life isn't it?

But taking something that obviously needs to pay for without paying for it?

Try thinking about it when the victim is you.

15. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I think this quote from TUAW.com about this pretty much sums it all up:

Anyone who doesn't know the difference doesn't deserve anything.

16. Scottlarsen

Nov 25, 2009
    Hey iball, somebody should tell that to the state department. There is apparently no reason to push China toward policing it. After all, according to the weblog you cite, it's no big deal.

17. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Using the correct terms to define something isn't being for or against anything.
    One cannot intelligently pick a position unless they know the definition of the terms being used.
    Once you start incorrectly spouting terms it kind of makes the whole thing look silly.
    I don't think pirates in Somalia are sitting in their boats downloading illegally-copied software.
    I also don't think Little Jimmy sitting at home downloading a cracked iPhone application has a pile of AK-47s sitting in his closet waiting for a weekend of killing people to steal their boats.

Piracy != copyright infringement

Until one knows the proper definition of the terms, one cannot properly participate in the discussion.

Also, show me a single official court document regarding copyright infringement that calls it "piracy". You won't find it because it would have never gotten past the judge. He would have thrown it out of court because copyright infringement and piracy are two completely separate - and unrelated - things. They might use the word "theft" but never "piracy".

18. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Your semantic argument means nothing. It's just another clouding of the issue. It's amazing to me that a dev like Exo seems to welcome theft. I like his Rail Adventure game but don't feel like playing it anymore. BTW iBall that article you posted has been posted here before by someone who thought it made them sound smart. The point is moot. Call it by any name, anyone with common sense will see that taking something without paying for it is stealing.

19. bingbingbiangbiang

Jan 14, 2010
    You're right.

But that doesn't change the fact that copyright infringement is wrong. And when it's called piracy here or anywhere else, the majority of the people probably know the difference between jumping on ships with an AK-47 asking for money and downloading an illegal copy of OMG Pirates! for the iPhone.

I for one think that the whole point of this thread is this:

Please do not steal if you can afford it. Reward the developers for spending time and effort in making applications for people like us to enjoy and use. Market forces will determine who deserves to survive, and who doesn't. Copyright infringement, aka piracy, is NOT market forces.

Yes, there are ways for developers and companies to "try" to work around piracy/copyright infringement, but that shouldn't be the way. I think it will be a lot more productive if companies spend those time fixing bugs, making better stuff, lowering cost and transferring that savings to customers rather than spend I don't know how much $ researching into better DRMs.

Yes, that's idealistic.

Yes, I infringed copyrights before.

I stopped doing that a long time ago.

And I don't think I will be doing it again.

20. Scottlarsen

Nov 25, 2009
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-infringement.html

The following is from the US copyright office website.

"Enforcement

What Do I Do If My Copyright Has Been Infringed?

Serving primarily as an office of record, the Copyright Office is not charged with enforcing the law it administers. Copyright infringement is generally a civil matter, which the copyright owner must pursue in federal court. Under certain circumstances, the infringement may also constitute a criminal misdemeanor or felony, which would be prosecuted by the U.S. Department of Justice."

Yes it is a crime in the US.