Universal Tiny Wings (by Andreas Illiger)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Feb 20, 2011.

1. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Again I'll say it...Dang you all! This game just sucked away at least 45min of my day on the first run! I think I made it to the 7th island, and I am hooked! I really can't tell if the levels are randomly generated or not, but as far as I'm concerned, they might as well be because it seems different every time I play. I can honestly say I have vocally moaned when the night is about to hit. This is a game that I don't think I'd ever get mad at and it definitely has that just one more time addictiveness. I can't put it down...well, I can, but it's hard to. This has got to be one of the best dollars I've spent in a long time, well worth the asking price and so much more!

Not that this game isn't perfect already, but I would love to see an update that adds some unlockable birds and maybe some customization, i.e. different bird designs to unlock and then the user can color them as they wish, or choose from a number of different already made colors. I love the game already, but I always go for games that have customization, it just adds some more depth to the game and gives even more reason to keep playing.

The verdict...50/10...never have I seen a game with this mechanic before, and the amazing thing is that the developer pulled it of perfectly. I can't see how this game mechanic can be improved upon in any way shape or form, and that's saying something. Okay, enough rambling. If you have read up to this point, stop reading and go buy the game already! The game is way more fun than reading this crap, so go have some fun! NOW!

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Tiny Wings has the potential to gain cult status. :D

@legowiz: Unlockable birds sound awesome. But that way I'm afraid I'll spend TOO MUCH time on the game.

3. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Here's a nice iPad screenshot I took

[​IMG]

4. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    I agree, Squeaker! It's really, really, great. I've been playing tons today, and it might be my new pick up and play addiction :)

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Unlockable birds will be awesome indeed :D

The current nest upgrade is cool too though. Maybe a trophy room where we can showcase the past nests :p After a handful of nest upgrades, it'll be interesting to review what achievements we went through to unlock all those nests :)

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Am I the only one getting frustrated with the "reach the 5th island without speed coins" unlock? The problem is there is no way to avoid the damn coins unless you get lucky, and 4 islands is a heck of a lucky run to be forced to shoot for.

7. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    The enthousiasm in this thread, the gameplay trailer and the beautiful screenshot made me buy this game. I love the art, the game mechanics and how it is so different from the other games I have. Gems like this are welcome little surprises to find. Besides, who hasn't dreamed of flying? ;-)

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can deal with the game not being retina, but is the icon at least high res? There's no reason for it to look worse on the springboard. Possibly the main menu as well.

Unlockable birds would tempt me to buy this... right now I'm spending too much to indulge in every artsy highscore-busting/distance game I see, but with something specific to aim for and rewards to collect I'd probably be hooked.

9. Paradiso

I can say I'd choose this over angry birds. Yeah there's not as much content, but what is there is just more fun to me.

10. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    @Midian: The icon looks sharp enough for me. At least a lot sharper than some other icons on my springboard. Also there are specific aims even as now. You increase your score mulitiplier as you upgrade your nest. And that could only be achieved after you fulfilled certain requirements for each nest upgrade, eg. 'be 5s in fever mode', 'do 1 cloudtouch' etc.

@Gabrien: I did that in 3 tries I think. I kind of memorized where the speed coins are and do my best to avoid them.

Currently still stuck at 'reach 4th island in fever mode'. I reached island 2, 3, even 5 in fever mode but not 4. Grr..

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    The art and positive reviews made me just click the BUY button.

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Gosh, I'd say it has already reached that status on this site, at least. ;)

I think it has the potential to be a top seller, honestly. The only thing that separates this game from something like the legendary Angry Birds in terms of being a slick package and an accessible experience is that it hasn't gotten umpteen content updates as of now, (and I suppose the sales figure separates them too, obviously). But this is as slick and well-executed a casual gameplay experience as I've seen. Really. Really!

To those who haven't bought it yet: you will, it's just a matter of time. Might as well just buy it now.

The crucial thing right now for the games level of mainstream success is media coverage. I think it will be critical to see how many sites review it in the next few weeks. I can only assume that the reviews that do come will be overwhelmingly positive.

And to Andreas: Congratulations, you've arrived! Amazing work on this, promote the heck out of it! I really do expect to see Tiny Wings sitting comfortably in the top 100 for many coming months.

13. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #93 Prab, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    @Gabrien: I managed to pass that one fairly quickly. Just try to fly very high and maintain fever mode as much as possible. When you rarely touch the ground, it's easier to avoid the coins.

@Midian: right now what's unlockable is the notion of "nests". In terms of gameplay, better nests give you higher score multipliers. Personally I don't really care about the score multiplier, it's unlocking the nests that are fun: cuz you have to do all sorts of challenges including collecting 200 coins, avoid some powerups, play the game upside down, be in some fever mode for xx seconds, and right now in stuck in reaching island 5 without being in fever mode :p

Btw, Tiny Wings is now featured as new and noteworthy in both Action and Arcade games in the US, Germany and UAE App Stores :)

14. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This. :cool:

15. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    The springboard icon looks retina to me

16. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I've been gifting this app to my friends all day. I would encourage everyone to do the same. I never really new what the phrase "spreading joy" meant until now.

As to the potential cult status, if Andreas wants to invite us all out into the woods to form a circle and stare at Tiny Wings on a stump, count me in.

Can't wait to see my new hills in a few minutes. Until you've experienced it, the texture swap may not seem like it would matter, but it is really fun to play through again to see what gets generated.

17. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I want to press the buy button but my account only has 77 cents. I need to go to get an itunes card.

18. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    HOW DID I JUST PLAY THIS GAME FOR TWO HOURS?

I haven't gotten lost in a game like this in...forever. And one so simple, too! Every time the little bird squawks, I just get the biggest damn grin on my face. Great, adorable, addicting game, you deserve to hit the top of the charts for sure on this one. One of the first games I'm actually considering gifting to my friends, just because everyone needs to experience the joy and happiness this simple little game can bring.

19. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    This is without a doubt the most calm, relaxed game that I've ever played. Nice little colors and a fresh new game. Definitely a game that gives you fun and eases your mind at the same time. :)

20. Paradiso

This game is amazing don't get me wrong, but the most calm and relaxing game I've ever played is Splode.