Universal Tiny Thief (by Rovio Stars)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Glad to see it is now FREE, grab it if you haven't play it before, one of the best iOS game IMO. Hope they will release TT2 in nearly future.

2. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    That really is an awful move and a massive kick in the teeth to those that first bought it. I had planned to buy the DLC, I shan't now.

3. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see if a developer would actually comment on the issues being raised here. Of course, it seems highly unlikely.

So. Developers. If you're reading this - care to comment? Or, are you now the "hit'n'run" type?

It was a great game, but clearly, it's time to allow this one to sink to the bottom of ocean, the good ship TA sailing off into the horizon, and leaving this app with the others in Davy Jones's locker.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The Dev has been active in this forum. Recently, he stated that restoring purchases should restore the previously purchased full game, and to contact their tech support if it doesn't work.

This wasn't a money grab, it's just a developer charging for additional content, but implementing the change very clumsily. Paying for content beats the hell out of converting this great game to freemium.

That's my take on it, anyway.

5. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Latest update appears to restore acts 4 and 5 for people who previously purchased the game.

Still shows ads to paid customers, though.

6. GhostMaker

GhostMaker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Hmmm...thought I'd get a bit more fun out of the new levels for $2...specially with how long I've been waiting for an update. Finished them in no time at all...*sigh*
    I would've waited longer for an update if it meant more than one new episode.

7. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Wow it actually did automatically without me even needing to press restore purchases!

Which is actually kinda weird because I had it installed on my iPhone before it went 'free', but I had not played the game at all on the phone, only on my iPad which I haven't used for months now.

8. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yeah, they opted to pop up with an unexplained, unprovoked notification asking for your iTunes password. That pop-up notification doesn't allow TouchID and includes no indication of what it's there for or what it does. There is no clue it has anything to do with iTunes, is run by Apple, or is anything more than a password-harvesting scam.

THAT's how they opted to solve the problem. If it works, users will be trained that it's okay to enter your iTunes password when prompted by an unfamiliar and unprovoked pop-up. That's the "good" scenario here.

9. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Wow, so much idiotic posts and reviews since my last visit.

Just a few things, since I've actually bought the expansion for the "ridiculous" price.

The 5 new levels are awesome. Has everything that made Tiny Thief one of the best iOS games, with a lot of charm and fun. It took me roughly an hour or more to finish, and I had to replay some levels to find all of the treasures and the mongoose.

So I'll spell it out loud:
    THE EXPANSION IS WORTH IT'S PRICE. So if anyone is hesitant, buy it now, have some respect towards honest, hard working developers.

Secondly, the update does not make the payed game a demo version, and you can restore everything on reinstall, noone is cheated.

Thirdly, I totally understand the frustration of Eli and the other TA staff members, somehow this is a much bigger drama than it should be. If anyone has a problem with paying 2 bucks for an expansion, that's okay, go away and play freemium games. But this game is a premium masterpiece, and the expansion alone worth 2$ for the fun it gives, not talking about the previous chapters. Giving the game 1 star reviews and a shitload of wrath against the devs is totally uncalled and idiotic. I really hope karma works for these people like Eli said.

And lastly a question:
    Is there a way to reset the game so I can start over from scratch? Reinstall?

10. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Yes it did. That was what most people were complaining about. It took the game everyone paid for and locked out chapters 4 and 5 unless they paid again.

That was only un-done yesterday.

11. What there are still ads for us early adopters? Sigh.

12. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    Only in the pause menu. It's tolerable.

13. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    That must have been a simple bug which got fixed. Also, i've bought the update way before this fix, and did not encounter any "downgrading" during the update process, so no, it did not downgrade full games intentionally.

I love it when a bunch of idiots start swearing instead of asking.

As for the ingame ads, it's the same with other Rovio titles like Bad Piggies or Angry Birds. It advertises other Rovio games in the pause menu, which is bearable.
    Although I would prefer the Bad Piggies' version, where it shows a random game advertisment instead of an ugly scrolling list.

14. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Hey guys,

I need some help here. Ihave an ipad 2 still running on ios 5.1.1 and still have the old version of tiny thief. I got it when it went free some time ago and now it prompts me to update it.

I see that the new version is only for ios7, so I won't be able to play it anymore I guess.

Also, I currently have access to all the levels (I never bought any IAP, so I do not know how this is possible) except for the latest one wi the witch. If I understood correctly, I will lose access to those free levels if I update the game?

15. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Well, I'm on iOS7 so I'm not totally sure, but I think that if You delete the game from your iPad, then You can only install it again, if you upgrade to iOS7. Also, you can't update your current game on your iPad if you won't upgrade to iOS7.

As for the content, if You've bought the original game and the witch expansion, then You can restore those purchases ingame (either on startup by logging in, or from the game menu with the restore purchases option.

All in all, you won't lose any levels if you already purchased the game.

But. If you got the original game for free during a price drop, then I don't know if you can restore the levels, since technically you did not buy the game (not talking about the witch expansion now).

16. pouffie

pouffie Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks for the answer :)
    I checkd my purchase history and I got this game when it went free for the first time in December (Christmas sale I suppose).

I don't remember needing to buy some IAP to unlock the full game. Therefore, I wonder if I will lose access some levels if I update the game.

I guess I will not delete the game for now until I get a new idevice with the latest ios version.

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Going to install this on my iPad Air 2 and hope it looks good, use to play on iPhone and fancy giving it a go again as I really enjoyed it. Purchased the expansion but didn't play it yet as I was stuck on a level.

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Been playing all over again on my iPad and forgot how much I liked this one. Anyone know if they plan on making a second or anything?

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I believe you haven't come across this yet. ;)

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Awesome, thank you for that! Hopefully it gets more news soon. Even though I just found out I hate waiting.