Universal Tiny Thief (by Rovio Stars)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    1 star ratings because people are cheap.

2. Metalic

Metalic Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #322 Metalic, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    The developers created this situation. When the game was released, people bought the game and the developers knew then that they would update the game with new levels. Then came the mistake. They made it free, while they were already working on new levels. If they update for free they make no money, but asking money from people who bought it at the beginning is also wrong, because that is a bit like buying the game twice. The developers created this situation and there is no perfect solution. They should have chosen one direction: 1. Paid with future updates free or 2. Free from the beginning with paid updates.

3. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    #323 Pipipitchu, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    And buying DLCs on consoles? Is that paying the game twice too?

I can't really believe this whole thing. So much drama about few 1 dolar coins. People spend 2 dolars with consumables on freemium crap everyday and now they think it's outrageous to pay 2 dolars for 90 of new and premium content? This game would cost much more on a portable platform. On any other platform!

Ok, now the whole game costs 5 dolars, it's still much less than it worths. Indie developers doing such a great work deserves two of my dolars anytime.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    One final point before I fade away...

As gamers, we should never buy a game with the expectation that future content will be free unless explicitly stated. Once we get this paradigm shift through our collective heads we are free to purchase new content or ignore it as we see fit. this is no easier for me than it is for anybody else (I was initially pretty grumpy about this game) but it's seems like a pretty reasonable trade off to avoid the churning tide of Freemium Krapware.

5. Metalic

Metalic Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Personally i think the game is worth the money, and i don't have a problem with it. But like i said before they should have chosen one course and stick with it. Now you have people giving 1 star ratings to a 5 star game.

6. I would like to nominate the honorable JCho133 to become President of the Tiny Thief Defense Squad.

Signed,
    Connector
    President of the Dead Trigger Defense Squad

7. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I've paid 3 dolars for the game on the release and this week 2 more. That makes 5 dolars. The ones who downloaded it now for free have only few levels and then have to unlock the whole game for 5 dolars.

8. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I like that you've done the DLC and I think the price is fine (particularly coming from WHQ where it's $2 for a character). I would have preferred you to do the ads as an optional extra for those that original paid for the game though.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    People still talking about the price here? I do love this game I only discovered it by accident and only wish there was more of it!

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This ^^^^^ +1

11. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Totally agree.

While I think some of us can appreciate the value of the material being offered and we have no problem paying for it, changing you monetizing scheme after you've released is always a bad idea, specially with popular games that reach a big audience.

It seems to be more offending with most people if you change from premium to anything with IAP.

If you plan to keep developing your game and charge for that future content, a good advice would be to make it pretty clear at the time of release.

While I think devs should not be punished for choosing to change their development model later in the game's life, it's better to have a clear plan for the future development and inform potential customers, because people clearly don't like changes. :p

I'm really sorry this game is being attacked like this, and if it helps in any way, I left a 5 star review if it in the Spanish App Store (but it's a drop in a storm of 1 star reviews).

12. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    One more thing:

Curiously, it would've been wiser to release all new content as a sequel (Tiny Thief 2), than payed IAP.

Some people understand better a sequel than the fact that the same time of development is employed for IAP and it must be charged for it.

13. wizardhowl

wizardhowl Active Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Just discovered this thread and what's been going on with this game and I have to say I agree with Eli wholeheartedly. This is a high quality game that is easily worth far more than £5. I have always enjoyed this game and the new levels have obviously been crafted with a huge amount of care.

This is the sort of game we should be supporting on iOS. People who have become enraged over the changes to this game really do need some perspective in their lives. I am certainly not rich (far from it, I'm afraid), but trying to suggest that this game is in any way expensive or unreasonable is crazy.

To the developers; I hope you continue to make great games like this and I will be waiting to play them!

14. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Just beat the game with the new DLC\IAP "Bewitched" episode with 3 stars. It took me over 2 hours in a play that lasted 2 days. Well worth the price of admission.
    Some bugs, my Device is iPad 3 non JB iOS 7.1:
    1. First cut scene where they show the witch taking the king is low res for some reason.
    2. After getting almost to the end of the first level having gained all the items in the other screens the sprites of the witches in the house where actually OUTSIDE the house meaning they just floated in a layer ON TOP of the house.
    If I get the "red strawberry achievements by making all the red candy and I can't see the weasel in the tank yet and I press where it's suppose to be it gives me the star, plays the sound and have the weasel running away. But after making one more candy the tank depletes and the weasel is there and I can press hi, all I want by I already "caught" him
    . This was a really weird one, as a beta tester I can find them :)
    4. No matter how many secret items I find I can't get the "Eye of the Lynx" achievements, I don't know if I missing something or it's just a bug. I've looked around the internet and others haven't found it too. I have all 94 items in the chest.

I must say having payed the 1.99$ and still getting commercials in the pause screen is quite annoying :(
    And for those who say you hardly press the pause screen, it's not a valid answer and you probably haven't gotten all 3 stars :)

15. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    Seeing (and catching up on) this thread reminded me that I never completed this. So I went back and finished "Rattling Bones". The stage with the
    mine cart
    was a lot more challenging than it should have been. However, that may be because I have had a beer. Or two. Utterly delightful game and so worth the money. Will be unlocking the new content soon (once I have less beer in my system so I can appreciate it (and play it) better)!

16. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    No matter how good the game is, I do feel cheated because I paid the full price and now I have to pay again for the levels I had already paid for. I had deleted th from my phone and now the game treats me the same as a free customer.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Yeah, that's my beef with the new update too. I was ready to pay for the DLC, but not for what I already paid for. I don't even blame the developers for this premium to freemium BS, it falls directly on Apple and thier unregulated mess of an App Store. A free market needs effective rules and regulations, and the App Store's are pathetic.

Anything goes as long as it's not vulgar or doesn't show too much skin, which ironically are two things that don't require regulation. Apps that boast blatant copyright infringement and intellectual theft are approved by Apple everyday, while IAP practices that resemble electronic gambling are legitimate and thriving. Prices rise and fall faster the the tides, and pirates are everywhere.

As long as anything goes on the App Store we'll continue to watch great premium games turn free in order to survive, as greed remains unchecked and honorable business practices go unrewarded.

18. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    How come you have to pay for levels you've already paid for? Can the devs not help you get around that?

19. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I had this installed on my iPhone and hadn't played it. So when it updated, I opened the game and I was treated like a free customer.

I had played the game on my iPad 2 which u don't have anymore.

Anyway you can get screwed if you delete the game and reinstall too, it seems.

20. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Yes, this game didn't turn freemium like Dead Effect. A freemium game lets you access it entirely.

This turned from premium to a demo (or the old shareware model). Which is okay except that they turned paying customers' full games into demos again. And that sucks big time.