Universal Tiny Empire (by Mother Gaia Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Nice, thanks for the words! I'm glad you've enjoyed the game that much! :)
    You know, the comparison to Angry Birds was really inevitable, you can't make an artillery game anymore without having to deal with that. After playing it most players and reviewers understood the different experience we wanted to offer, fortunately - and so did you hehe.
    Making a shooting puzzler was a somewhat conservative choice from our part, but we got confident and on our next project we'll be taking our chances on something different. I'll remember to let you know when I start showing some stuff here on the forums!

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I am really loving this game I especially love the fact that there are no greedy IAP or energy timers like every other smilar game. Despite the comparisons this one is in a class of its own. Great job :)

3. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Thank you so much! Every single person that likes our games and understands what we're trying to offer makes me glad, I really mean it. :)
    Send me a private message if you want a code to, I don't know, give to a friend. Just be quick for they'll expire in about 48h!

I'm gonna now bump the Promocodes which are yet untaken (or so it seems):

KNJNPAY363XE
    6L9YMLF94FNK
    KWK6NEPN4AP3

Let me know if they're not working anymore and I'll replenish the thread!

Last but not least, let me introduce you to the final new character: the Portal Witch! Which, obviously, opens up portals that you can use to teleport bombs or even enemies from one place to another. This is giving birth to some pretty crazy and tricky level designs which I'll share with you soon!

[​IMG]

4. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi there,

This is probably the last time I post before these promocodes expire, so if there's anyone interested out there... grab yours!

KNJNPAY363XE
    6L9YMLF94FNK
    KWK6NEPN4AP3

I'm still preparing some different gifs now that I've already shown all the new characters, so I'll just drop some cool images that the artist has worked on these days!

promo_face01.png promo_face02.png
    promo_face03.png promo_face04.png

5. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    New sneak peek!

This is an element you'll find on some levels throughout the new campaign, the Gelatinous Bouncy Cube! Very useful to get into tricky places otherwise unreachable!

[​IMG]

6. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Here's a WIP of a level filled with portals and some sneaky rogues and goats in there:

[​IMG]

There are some interesting combinations you can do with portals, I've been working on some really tricky levels with them hehe. :D

7. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi guys, I'll drop some gifs here today with the new helms you can acquire on the Dark Forest!

We've made thematic helms this time, which gave a MUCH cooler result in my opinion. :) Check them out:

Let's start with the most basic yet fabulous one (disclaimer: no 2D pixelated animals were harmed during the filming of this gif):
    [​IMG]

This is Jimmy, who couldn't care less about his ruined teeth when he's wearing his awesome SSJ Tree Form hat:
    [​IMG]

Meet Wolfgang, who was named Employee of the Month after taking a flaming bould to his chest to protect his king. Our hero!
    [​IMG]

Tiny Empire meets The Deer God in this Antler Competition! Who's got the collest hornz?
    [​IMG]

"Shhhhhh... they'll never find out..."
    [​IMG]

Hope you like them! :D

8. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    A quick look at another new level, one that must be beaten with ONLY ONE bomb!

I bet no one can guess how it's done just by looking at it! :D

[​IMG]

9. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey guys, the new update has just hit the AppStore and it'll be on sale for $0.99 for a week to celebrate! If you were interested but were waiting for a price drop... this is your chance! For just a dollar, this is as cheap as it can get.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks to sale, I picked this up. It is a lot of fun with nice art. It is great to play a game like this without any of the usual IAP trappings!

11. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Damn. I just downloaded the game but it won't load past the title screen. On an ipod 5th gen running 9.0.1.

12. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey sorry about. :(

I've got an iPod5 back in the company, but I'm not sure if I've upgraded it to iOS 9 yet - I'm gonna check it out and see if I can reproduce your error.

In the meantime, you could try to log out of Gamecenter or disconnect from the internet and then try to re-open the game and see if you can get past the title screen. Let me know if this works for you!

13. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I wish I never upgraded to 9 on my ipod. It's really screwed it up. I try and log out of Gamecenter and it just sits there with the load circle thingy just spinning forever so I can't even test it out to see if that'll allow the game to open.

Not a happy camper.

14. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey I just found out that there is a bug with Gamecenter + iOS 9 that is causing games that initialize Gamecenter on startup to fail which, unfortunately, is Tiny Empire's case (like many other games :(). Rezn reported this in the beginning of this thread, but it was back when iOS 9 was still in beta, so I wasn't thinking this would still be the same problem after the official release - but well, it is.

Rezn also said that he learned a trick to be able to log out of Gamecenter and that the game ran ok after that. I'll send him a message and see if he can teach us what he did!

15. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I know the usual way of logging out of Gamecenter but my iPod just freezes whenever I try it since upgrading to 9.

16. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    The game freezes up on the title screen on my iPhone 5S with latest iOS.

17. TheGodless

Jan 15, 2013
    Tried disconnecting from the Internet and turning Gamecenter off, but the game still freezes.

18. TheGodless

Jan 15, 2013
    Same situation with Tank Invaders, except it freezes at company screen.

19. Felipe MGaia

Aug 7, 2013
    There's a problem with iOS 9 + Gamecenter: the game tries to contact Gamecenter, but it never answers back - be the conection either a failure or a success. Because of the way our personal Gamecenter implementation works (where we wait for its answer when we open the game), it "freezes" (technically it is not frozen, it is forever waiting for an answer...)

That's why Tank Invaders is also freezing at the same spot. Even though its last update was in the beginning of the year, iOS 9 introduced this bug and it should affect any game in the AppStore. Ours were just unfortunate enough to be implemented in a way that blocks the game from opening.

This is also not a 100% chance of happening, since it is only happening in only one of our devices here. We're not sure about what exactly makes the difference.

Apple should fix this in some minor update. As we don't know when this will happen, though, we're already working on a fix and should submit it to the AppStore soon. I'll see if it won't be much trouble updating Tank Invaders, too, but usually going back to a game's code after more than 6 months is never a smooth experience...

20. TheGodless

Jan 15, 2013
    Surely, Apple recognizes that their gaming model isn't sustainable unless they can convince people to start considering games that they purchase (frequently for way too cheap of a price) as basically being rented for a specific length of time and guaranteed to be kept operational for that length of time. Not sure if that would even work, but I could see purchasing a $1 game that would be guaranteed to work for at least a year or two and purchasing games that devs plan to update for years to come for a much greater price. I am certain that there are tons of other problems that would come with that model, as I can think of one major one right of the bat with regards to how games would be sold when they are about to no longer be supported, although I think the guaranteed time could just be used to add value since many games continue to work without updates even after Apple updates the iOS. I wouldn't ever expect a dev to go back and update a $1 game that I purchased in 2010 when there is no financial incentive for them to do so. How can a small dev spend all of the time doing that for games that aren't selling enough to justify the effort? Of course, I would be upset about not getting to play a game anymore, but I would put that on Apple not being able to ensure backwards compatibility or at least sticking with some sort of basic system that ensures that all games continue to operate. I am not a dev though and I don't know much about Apple's iOS, so I am probably being naive about there being a better way. I know even the consoles struggle with the backwards compatibility issue. I had always thought it was more a money making thing though since the issue led to gamers having to repurchase games on several systems.

While I do wish to be able to play Tank Invaders, I'm not that concerned with it being fixed (particularly if it's a fix due to an Apple issue), as it was of course a free download. I did just buy Tiny Empire though. Thanks for your time.