Universal Tiny Dangerous Dungeons (by Jussi Simpanen)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Apr 1, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, probably my fault for having a quick go at midnight last night. I'll play this much more later (Love the graphics by the way !)

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Just picked this up. Like the game too much. :)

3. Rebusmind

Rebusmind Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin, Germany
    I played through the version on Newgrounds and through the iOS beta version and it felt really fresh each time.

I think this is the first time a touch-controlled platformer worked for me. I don't know if it's the amount of inputs you have to do in quick succession or the big collision boxes for the buttons, but I never had to look where my fingers are and if I'm really hitting the right button.

Also, I love the Game Boy visuals. :D
    Great job, Jussi!

4. ochsentour

ochsentour Member

May 8, 2010
    I like it very much, but its getting totally unresponsive after dying for me. I am about 30 Minutes in, where I get the 4th heart, and when I die, the Game is not coming back after the screen turned green. After closing the app, the same happens, I start at the last save point, die, and the app freezes.

iphone 5, latest iOS, no jb..

5. AdventureIslands

AdventureIslands Well-Known Member

Do you have lots of apps running on the background? It might be a memory issue with how the game handles saving. The game saves and loads every time you die to revert your status to your last save and to register you died so you won't get the achievement for completing the game with no deaths. I might try adjusting it with an update.

6. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Wow, I’m loving this. The jump is a bit floaty for my tastes, but I get it must be this way to make the platforming possible.I love the GameBoy style.

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    picked up last night... good old school platform, i've enjoyed it, but it's too short & easy, finished it in one game session (about 20 minutes)

8. orton1227

orton1227 Active Member

Nov 14, 2013
    So does this game have an end? From the description it sounded endless. Like Deep Loot kinda.

9. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Metroidvanias end. It mentions competing for fastest time to win the game. It's not endless.

10. ochsentour

ochsentour Member

May 8, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply!

No, I closed all apps and even rebooted the device. Forgot to mention, it's 32GB, with 9GB available..

11. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    This game deserves 5* as reviewed. What an awesome homage to old school Gameboy play and classic platforming, with the nice ROG element of upgrading as you go.

12. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Game would definitely get a 4/5 but it has become all but unplayable on my 5S. Between the freeze after dying or saving and the constant stuttering while playing it has become more frustrating then fun.

13. DJEmergency

DJEmergency Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    Found two bugs in this game that completely locks the controls up.

Bug 1: When you get hit by a spear while close to the block on the right the game freezes.

[​IMG]

Bug 2: If you bounce from the left block and hit a fish the game freezes.

[​IMG]

14. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

@Jussi Simpanen @AdventureIslands

Congratulations on the great TA review! What a gem of a game! Finished this last night and enjoyed every minute of it! Now to tackle those really challenging achievements... I found the four life fruits, so now I need to focus on completing the game without dying, saving, time trial, etc.

The controls worked great for me. I'm playing on an iPhone 5 and there were only a few times when I hit the wrong button. You really nailed the Gameboy visuals. Excellent work!

15. escargon2

escargon2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Studies. No math, promise.
    Sweden
    It looks like when the dude is facing the side, he got another face looking at you.

I know its hair but it sure looks like a disturbing face with a spiky cheek to the left. (|:3

16. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Sold! I actually grabbed it last night after messaging and played it for a little while. Thanks AKD!

17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    #38 jpgold, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Loving this but stuck..... I found the glove, knife, and 2 hearts, but now just running in circles. There is a locked door and I have a key, but think you can only use each key once right?

Help anyone?

Edit: nevermind...found it. Man this game is good.

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Great game. Had to go through it quite a few times to get all the achievements and a good time.

I completely fluked finding the second extra heart. Never saw the door until I exited it! I thought the entrance was going to be through the ceiling once you get up here:
    [​IMG]

19. AdventureIslands

AdventureIslands Well-Known Member

Ha, that could have been clever location if the game actually had fake walls you could go through. Maybe in a possible sequel?

Nice work! You even managed to beat my own Time Trial record. Haha. Maybe I need to do a new run now.