'Tiny Bubbles' Needs Beta Testers - Physics Puzzler Launching May 8th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pine Street Codeworks, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pine Street Codeworks

Pine Street Codeworks Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Reminder: today is the last day to add your email to be randomly selected for our second round Beta Test. 50 more people will be selected tomorrow. SIGN UP HERE

2. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Oops I forgot to respond to [member=81662]nkarafo[/member]! We are grateful for your helpful comments.

Yes, we agree with you and we are working on improving the speed and response of the lower circle pop-ups.

iCloud sync is on our list of things to do. Only we might have to release that feature shortly after launch, but we'll see.

3. kristoffer

kristoffer Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    #23 kristoffer, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Loving the game. Relaxing and unique.

I agree about incorporating landscape as an option. I'm also having a tough time with the direction the bubbles feed from. The top of the screen is the best location but I would prefer they feed from the right (or have the option to do so).

4. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    You weren't kidding about the later levels taking a bit longer to get through. I just completed level 17 of Murky River. Wow. Once I worked out the strategy, it took a few tries. But, man! I must have spent half an hour on that level alone.

Which is actually pretty incredible. I've had the experience of trying to beat difficult levels in games before. Who among us hasn't? And while there is a level of randomness to the levels in your game, I rarely if ever find it frustrating. I can't put my finger on why that is exactly. The relaxing nature of the graphics and gameplay? The fact that there is an actual strategy to figure out? I think it is a combination of the two and perhaps some other factors as well.

That said, mighty impressive. After a level like that, I put the game down to come back to it tomorrow. Great stuff. You've got a winner on your hands with this.

5. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    We're so happy you're enjoying the game!

That's really interesting comment and I have heard this before. I have considered flipping it around. Do other folks prefer the new moves coming in from the left or right side?

6. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    Here's something that's worth taking a look into. I'm not sure which ad service you are using, but there are many times (more often than not) that I'll attempt to watch an ad and the game will switch over to an ad view that is stalled for some reason. It eventually times out and takes me back to the game with no credit for an ad view (which makes sense given that I did not in fact view an ad).

I'm not sure if this is a byproduct of being in a test environment, but my guess is that this is not the case as I've seen similar behavior in games that are actually in production. Most of the services have flags for if an ad is available as well as if an ad is ready for play. I'd look into those. The whole process can be a bit annoying but, more importantly, can also decentivize ad watching (which is clearly not good).

7. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    re: failed ads - Thanks for the heads up, we will look into that!

8. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Great stuff, thanks Fish alan! "Spinach" is the puzzle I believe you're talking about and yes, that's one of my favorites as well!

I think you put your finger on it - it's a careful balance of probabilities between the fish and the moves that are random, yes, but carefully tuned. It's exactly like playing a card game with a crafted deck. And there's a whole lot of player choice as well, so it doesn't feel like a typical match-3 type game where luck becomes as much or more of a factor than skill.

Cheers!!! -Stu

9. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    I completed the game last night. Wow. Those last few levels were something else.

I can tell you that I haven't run across any issues (other than the ad related stuff I mentioned) that I'd consider a bug. All in all, that game feels extremely solid.

My only complaint now is that there aren't any more levels. :-(

10. dancingcrane

dancingcrane Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2016
    Exquisitely lovely game even tho I would also like orange tweaked a bit.

Tutorials and aids are clear and helpful.

I was stuck in Fresh Pond, circle 5, "Blast Off" for a while but finally got it. Onward!

11. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Thank you! Do you think the orange should be closer to yellow and not so brown?

12. chandler55

chandler55 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    looks awesome! seems like itd be very soothing to play

13. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Thanks chandler55!

For those of you playtesting the Beta, we just released a new build (0.1.32)! You can update it in the TestFlight app.
    Here's a summary of new features:

+ We reversed the direction of moves so that future moves come from the right towards the left. We realize this will take some getting used to, but we think it will be more intuitive for new players.
    + New app icon!
    + Added new creatures. The urchins now defend the boundary. Beware!
    + Improved the responsiveness of the badges bar at the bottom while playing.
    + More polish and improvements to the map screen!
    + Tweaked some puzzle difficulty and changed the flow a bit in the first world.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

14. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    We finally created a proper trailer for Tiny Bubbles! I also updated the video on Page 1 of this thread.

We'd love your feedback on the trailer. How could we make it even better?

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Is this a Wayne Newton game? #

16. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    haha. That does come up sometimes. There's no affiliation with the song or Don Ho either. :)

17. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    If you're going to be in the San Francisco area on Sep 23, come see Tiny Bubbles and other great mobile games at the Google Play Indie Games Festival. Tickets are FREE!

18. Fish alan

Aug 5, 2011
    The new icon is a massive improvement. I was hoping that you would change it. Good work!

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Honestly, I don't know how to give useful feedback on it. It's mesmerizing. I couldn't believe nearly two minutes had gone by.

MAYBE (not sure) it would be better if you illustrated what the player was doing in some way, but that might make it too busy.

20. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Thanks so much! Even positive feedback is super useful because it lets us see the balance between the positive and the negative opinions. Some folks thought the fish might be a bit misleading because you don't control him directly, but I think that's OK as long as he's a part of the game and doesn't outweigh the bubbles too much on the icon. We would love to hear more thoughts on it.