Universal Tiny Bubbles (by Pine Street Codeworks)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, May 8, 2018.

1. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    #41 HelperMonkey, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Beautiful game. The bubble physics and the puzzle mechanics are very clever and very satisfying.

Grab it on sale if you’re hesitating. This is easily worth it at either price point.

Edit: Also, colorblind mode (which is adjustable) works really well for me. Much appreciated.

2. Pine Street Codeworks

Pine Street Codeworks Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    That's so great! I'm a dad too and so I kind of designed it to be easy to pick up and play in between "life." I'm glad it's doing just that! It's a chill moment in between all the distractions of life and apps apps apps.

3. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Wow! Very positively surprised with this game: Lots of levels, lots of variety, well thought out puzzles, great pacing.

I‘m usually pretty tired of puzzlers by now so I was hesitant at first but when I read match 3 like gameplay, premium with no iAP (alas two things that rarely go together, in that vein, also can‘t wait for Hero Emblems 2) and first week price reduction in this thread I just couldn’t resist anymore - And I’m glad I didn’t. Certainly my GOTW too!

Congrats to Pine Street for this little gem of a game!

4. dlehman

dlehman Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Canada
    This game is wonderful! Except that I can't seem to stop playing it...

I'm sure i'm missing the obvious, but what am I amassing tickets for?

5. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    The tickets are for purchasing the bonus help during levels (usually the last icon on the bottom) like „get 5 extra moves", "shuffle board colors" etc. Basically a last Hail Mary pass to turn a seemingly lost level around. Didn‘t need them so far either (usually I just restart when I screwed up) but if you narrowly lost a level I suppose this could come in handy.

6. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Yeah, that's exactly right. There is a decent size group of people that prefer not to use the hints so I'm thinking of adding some extra depth to the Infinity mode. Basically, a high-score kind of thing that tracks how many colors you've matched before the bubbles get popped by the urchins. Plus extra points for longer chains. Let me know if you guys have any cool ideas for this. Actually, I'd even like to hear your non-cool ideas. :p

7. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I'm totally stumped on a level called Ancient Vibes, its only got 4 moves and I bought 3 hints and still can't see what my last one is meant to be !

I know I'm gonna kick myself when I see it

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Pine Street Codeworks,

The randomness of some of the game's mechanics trouble me a bit. Can you clarify more on how this work in the game?

For example, how does the game determine where the Bloop blows the next bubble and what color or empty bubble it blows?

Another example... If I leave the bubbles idle, sometimes (but not always) the bubbles would shift a bit in position, causing a match that would otherwise not be possible. This occurs most often when two large groups of same colored bubbles are separately by a thin layer of differently colored bubbles. Is this an intended mechanic? How do I know if the bubbles have all reached a "steady state"?

The above two scenarios cause some confusion for me when playing some levels, as they open up the levels to solutions that would not work otherwise.

Lastly, how much randomness is at play in levels whose goal is to deflate bubbles until the remaining bubbles all fit inside the goal circle? Part of the randomness stems from the Bloop. Are there other randomness that affect the efficiency of a solution? I found myself able to solve the same levels using more or fewer number of moves simply because of this randomness.

9. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    I thought earlier: “what is that game and why its rating are 5 Star and it’s got so much awards? When I launched the game, I understood it all. Great puzzle, good graphics, relaxing music

10. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    No problem. I'll provide you with more subtle hints: Think about a way to separate the reds so they don't match. ;)

You can also check out the walkthroughs on AppUnwrapper, but that's a bit like cheating. :D

11. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Dear devs,

Loving the game, really well put together - unfortunately I just had the spiky guys pop ALL my bubbles on infinity mode; can no longer continue, or restart.

Would you have a solution to this?

[​IMG]

I had them pop some bubbles before; but they didn't take them all!

12. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    #52 Pine Street Codeworks, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Hi there! The location is more or less random, you're correct about that. But the color that he blows next comes from a virtual card deck. It's random, but I can design and control what cards are in the deck but not what order they come in. The deck is different for every puzzle. The moves you are given at the top also come from a card deck. Sometimes the card deck is small, like only 5 cards. As we're assigning the next color or move from a drawn card, if we run out of cards, we reshuffle the deck and continue drawing cards.

You're right they do sometimes shift a bit over time due to subtleties in the simulation. After a while you get a sense for how things work, but this is a simulation of what's happening in nature, so if you try to control floating bubble foams in real life you'll get similar behavior. Generally, if you're finding yourself waiting around for things to happen for more than 10 seconds then it's probably time to restart. All the puzzle are predictable and are easy to solve once you know the solution.

The thing to remember is that ARCADE worlds are all about these random card decks, whereas PUZZLES worlds are all about fixed moves with usually one solution. I personally like both types, but I believe if you prefer one type over the other and only play half the game, you'll still have a great experience.

Hope this helps!! -Stu

13. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Ah shoot! Thanks so much for the screenshot. I've gotten one other report of this and I'm working on a fix for this that will hopefully be in the next update. There is a rare case when the urchins pop all the bubbles in Infinity. In this case, the fish is supposed to blow more! :mad:

14. Corky McButterpants

May 16, 2012
    #54 Corky McButterpants, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    It was giving me more moves (no good of course), but now I've restarted, it's started back at zero... but the entire time showing the same blu/wht/yel/yel that was there after the apocalypse... don't know if that helps with your bug-hunt.

What might be the update ETA? I'm not keen on reinstalling; and losing all those sweet sweet tickets (that I haven't even used yet. haha)

15. idislikejordan

idislikejordan Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Did a quick look / review of Tiny Bubbles

It is so good. A must play.

16. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Hi devs, Arcade is right and than up and left and all puzzles are left and down right, is this correct because first I wanna do the arcade ones and leave the best for last as the puzzle fan that I am.

17. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    #57 Pine Street Codeworks, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    I recommend doing both at the same time. Why? Becuase your skills will build up too much: the left side will seem too easy if you complete arcade 100%. Make sense?

Both sides require some strategic thinking, but you are correct about the path and world flow.

-Stu

18. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    Can you explain what you mean about "starting back at zero?"

ETA is probably mid-week next week. Sorry about the delay, it's gotta be tested and solid.

19. Corky McButterpants

May 16, 2012
    #59 Corky McButterpants, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    I just meant the available move count had reset when I restarted the app (it had been on 9 while I scratched my head) - has now got back up to 20... annnnnnd I'm realising that none of this will be any help whatsoever in working out why the barnacles suddenly got greedy.

I've thought it over anyway, and I'm going to reinstall; it's such a joy. I felt a little put out when I first came across the 20 move time limit mechanic in a premium app, but in all honesty, it keeps me from playing it too long. Well played Stu.

EDIT: Might be pertinent - have just discovered my phone clock was set back several hours.

20. Pine Street Codeworks

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle WA
    You can just start a new player profile, you don't have to reinstall. Then you can go back to the old profile when the bug is fixed if you want.
    Hah, yeah it's meant to add value to the tickets, otherwise you could use hints whenever without limit.

That shouldn't affect the fish not blowing bubble problem.