Universal Tinker Island: Survival Adventure (by Kongregate)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 27, 2016.

1. germanom

germanom New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Very good game, as most of kongregate games are. Gave it 4 stars because of the timers, they need some rebalancing.

2. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    #22 Rosso, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Indeed... The fact is: play for the very first 30mins and you have the feeling its all good and there is actually a game. Then the timers go so high, immediately, that everything thats a tiny bit important to do in this game (explore a NEW location or construct that building etc) needs 4,6 hours plus.

So, you can log in and "play" for about 60 seconds: choose which villager to put on which job and thats it. NOTHING more to do. free2play concept from the dark ages.

This is a horrible product, apart from its appeal when it comes to art style and setting.

And please don't start talking target demographic: if there is one here it is rich ppl who are so bored, that they have already played all the great free2play games that do NOT rip ypu off like this one.

I myself play so many games and I don't have any problems with the free2play concept, none at all, but here it is just not acceptable. Seldom a game and the monetization behind it made me so frustrated.

3. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Great game to me until i run out of resources, heavy timer ruins the game.

4. Pressi

Pressi Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Very promising at first. But as others already said, the IAP and timers are horrible.

5. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I play and generally like Kongregate games, but overall, they are very stingy with resources. I usually play until I hit a wall, then quit. It's too bad, because their games are usually pretty good except for this one thing.

6. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    @Boardump

I agree with everything you said, but I think that anyone who likes this game and actually supports it by paying money, that this is not the right forum for that person. Supporting games likes this is killing the game industry extremely. My point of view.

This game is a disgrace. Don't let the graphics fool you.

7. sirgrail

sirgrail Member

Mar 19, 2009
    I picked up this game last night and tried it out for a while. All in all, I'm enjoying it.

Most of the actions at the beginning took a minute or less to finish, so I was able to play for a while. Then I tried building a map table and the timer was an hour. That was harsh, but I had other survivors available to do shorter tasks. Then my explorers found a Steam Engine. First activation was free and for an hour, all timers were shortened down to a minute or less. This got things rolling again, enough that I was able to build a fishing spot and a lumber mill so that my survivors can generate resources while I'm logged off the game.

Yes, some of the timers are harsh, but the game has options that allow you to build up resources over time while you're logged off. That makes it more appealing to me as I don't feel like I'm screwed. We'll see if it gets worse or better from here on.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is the right forum for everyone who enjoys playing iOS games. If you disagree with that, this is not the right forum for you.

9. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah some part of me disagrees with that, see my reason above. And I'm not leaving because you think otherwise. This leads nowhere.

10. mutts

mutts Active Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Besides the iap there is also the inevitable het bother your Facebook friends so you can get this item. The game is perfectly playable without suing the iap. But If there is a mission that needs FB then it stops beeing interesting. Shame though since the concept is fun.

11. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I like this game!! Good to check in every now and then. If it not for you don't give it one star it's better than that. It's just a casual check in every now and then game.

12. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    You are correct: it really, truly deserves ZERO out of 5 stars. Unfortunately I had to give it 1...

Its funny you wanna dictate how many stars ppl give... And you rate it with 5/5 - a 100% awesome game?!?? Seriously? Hmmmmmmm

13. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    You just have to remember that not every game is made for you...

An example is music, not all music is made for all people on the planet. Everyone has different tastes.

Move on with your life and find something you like instead of preaching your dislikes.

Thanks.

14. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    #34 Rosso, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Welcome! I now know about different tastes, thanks to you. Funny that you said that ppl shouldnt give it 1 star, even if its not "their game". So much about accepting different tastes. Only the ones with proper taste should rate (and write).

As I fell into this monetization trap, spending 8 bucks on something that just does not deserve any income whatsoever, it's nothing bad to voice a negative opinion that actually says at least a bit about what the game is, contrary to your empty praise of it.

Perhaps a few ppl will read this and realize to not buy the starter pack (because timers go up, so that there is no gameplay at all after 1 hour) and spend their money on a game that's worth it.

...and yeah, now I'm off... Enjoy the timers!

15. ramon31

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    I'm not going to buy the IAP in the game, I never said I was?? I have never purchased consumable IAP ever in any game. I'm just saying I enjoy some timer based games now and then. You are meant to play this game over the course of months not days. During the breaks I do real thing in my life like work. These sort of games are good for people that have a lot of responsibilities in there life but also like playing games. If this is not what your looking for move on with you life and play another game, there are plenty to choose from on the App Store these days.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #36 Echoseven, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Well, I embarked on an epic quest and reached the end of the game (yes there's an end). In late October, 2017.

I am honestly fascinated by this game, but you have to go in with heavily managed expectations. You're not playing a GAME, this is more of a tamagotchi deal. You set tasks for your survivors and come back to check up how they went, give them new things to do and move on with your life.
    Unles you're like me and play 30-ish hours in 3 days, like binge-watching a new TV show.

Would anyone be interested in a recap of how the time was spent, what happened on the island and why I stuck with it?

17. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Don't know if i should try it or not.

18. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Totally agree.

19. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I feel and do the same thing with kongregate games.

20. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I like it enough I'm going to plunk around with it for a few days but I'm already to hours long timers that will take days to get through. I don't have any money to spend on anything so I'm not sure how long it will be.