Universal Timelines: Assault On America (by Strategy First)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The Infamous E

The Infamous E Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm posting to clarify I have edited my post to show Mission 2 is not bugged. You must have a commander to capture a tower!

I agree, on PC this would be mediocre, on iPad with the slow pace it could hit the sweet spot of fitting in with pacing and controls. Either way, we need more true RTS games on iPad. Not sure the multiplayer will be a hit because of the old school pc lobby nature of the game set up, matchmaking system may have been a better choice.

Either way if you like strategy games at all just give the people your damn $3, please...

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Apart from the camera sometimes jumping because I tap in the mini map (I think), I've really had no trouble at all controlling this (and at a decent speed too). I like how you can bring up a list of all built units and deselect/select/group them from the popup, then send them somewhere with a few quick taps. Makes it easy to build a little task force and split a clump of units up without just randomly drawing around them... you can specifically make sure you have the right composition of units to send forwards or leave behind.

3. rymdkultur

rymdkultur Active Member

Mar 9, 2014
    no hard feelings, i didn't take it personally! should have been more clear about that, sorry.

i'm a big fan of company of heroes. since my pc broke down i've been looking for something similar on ios, but it's hard to find gems in the rts genre. when it comes to turn based strategy i've got it all covered with those brilliant shenandoah and slitherine titles.

4. Baracus

#24 Baracus, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Try going into the options on main menu and turn graphic detail down?

EDIT: On another note, Apple only allows install of iOS 8 to an iPad 2 because they want you to buy a new device! It really can't handle it and should not be allowed to be upgraded IMO.

5. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    Yea lol, I've been playing video games since Warcraft 2 needed 23 floppys to install if you weren't rich enough to afford a CD-ROM, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to this genre. Autumn dynasty's phenomenal. I wish they had kept the graphics engine and control scheme from the first one in the second game. I had a long semi-argument with the devs on here and couldn't get them to admit that the new gfx engine wasn't as smooth, but I loved warlords nonetheless.

I never got into ruse, I remember reading something about a non-standard mechanic in it that put me off, but I can't remember what it was. Might have to re-look into that.

6. rymdkultur

rymdkultur Active Member

Mar 9, 2014
    yeah i tried that, didn't help. there's no way around the minimum requirements it seems.

ios 8.0 was terrible on ipad2, but it's gotten better with the latest updates.

7. rymdkultur

rymdkultur Active Member

Mar 9, 2014
    i loved the original autumn dynasty, but could never get into warlords. the battles in the later was such a drag.

if only the first total war titles (shogun, medieval and rome) could be ported to ios... that'd totally make my day. and my next day, and the next, for many years.

8. Baracus

#28 Baracus, Feb 19, 2015
    I too been gaming since ZX81 days I guess :)
    Strategy (TBS, RTS and management type stuff) and Simulators (racing, flight, other vehicles) are my favourite genres.

I got Warlords as well but didn't really get into it for some reason. Didn't ever complete a grand campaign yet. Might have to reinstall it! I don't recall the real-time parts being much different to AD though?

With RUSE, I think what you might mean is the finite resources, which makes for a fairly Rushy game (partly why I like it, games don't drag on too long) but it can be overcome with one of the buildings that generates income. Though it's expensive to build them so if you build them too early you will get obliterated. This makes the early game definitely a rush to get to the limited on-map resource points. Or maybe you mean the actual "Ruses" you can play, like decoy units, blitz, radio silence and other temporary perks you drop in sectors of the map. It's really unique and totally fits with the era!

Great thing is that you can smoothly zoom right out to overview map much like in Supreme Commander and your units become grouped up tokens, like the WW2 planning tables, which you can push around in a "grand strategy" scale, then zoom in to do precise commands when the time is right. Really easy to manage and a really nice touch. I just love the pace of it, where units are quite slow but the game is fast, if that makes sense.

If you prefer more technical and complex RTS games, they did a follow up that is really quite epic but a step too much towards headf&*k for me :D

Was called Wargame: Europen Escalation. In this one you have to create supply lines to your front line and keep units fuelled and ammo'd up constantly. Gets really intense :D

I think there has even been another in the series since I bought that.

I also bought the Steam Early Access of Planetary Annihilation a while back, didn't play it much but it's very adventurous in scope. Judging by reviews seems it didn't turn out too well just yet. Probably just they tried to do TOO much! Strapping rockets to a PLANET and firing it into another planet (hah) - sounds incredible but I've not even got CLOSE to being able to do that. Need 8h a day to practice lol

9. Baracus

Excuse me quoting myself. I'm so out of touch with current PC games!! There are TWO others in this series now!

Wargame: AirLand Battle
    Wargame: Red Dragon

And from their site (Eugen Systems): "Right now, Eugen Systems is working on Act of Aggression and 2 non announced RTS"

I'll stop hijacking this thread now :)

10. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    Lmao you win, I don't know what a ZX81 is, but I'm gonna look that up, same with the European escalation one. Heard about it and just discarded it offhand as another WW2 game, but the complexity sounds amazing.

I'm the exact opposite, I love the infinite resource RTSs because you can end up with epic wars of attrition where one mistake or great tactical move completely ends the match. It's dramatic lol. SUPCOM was awesome cause of that, but like planetary annihilation the scope got too big for me, guess I'm not smart enough lol. PA sounded too ambitious, I was really hoping it'd pan out well and revive the genre. I'm sorry to hear it didn't do well. Planet mass driver technology's something straight out of a Heinlein novel, it's a shame it never got done right.

I'm also a huge fan of the paradox games, Europa, crusader kings, again cause of the complexity, but the one that really got me? Space Empires V. If you want a headf*ck check that one out. Took me a week to learn how to get past the early game and build a ship that had a cargo bay with the correct specs to launch a surveillance satellite. It's a bit dated but I think there's a community patch for it.

Warlords used a newer gfx engine with more detailed units, which seemed like a frame or two off to me, maybe it was my device, but the devs swore up and down that it was all in my head cause they were using an iPad3 as well. I think that the slightly higher pixel count on the units made it more choppy.

11. Delta256

Delta256 New Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Hey guys, this is my first post here! I've been lurking around TA for quite awhile, but haven't actually posted anything until now.

Anyway, I've been messing around with this game a bit, and I can confirm that the game doesn not work on the iPad 2/iPad Mini 1. I did try this out on a Mini 2, however, which runs the game at a very good framerate. It also looks very good on the Mini 2, the vehicle models in particular look pretty nice.

I've put about an hour and a half into Timelines: AOA, in particular the multiplayer/skirmish component. I've been experimenting with the different factions, and I found that, well, there is very little, if any, variation between each of them. Each faction basically has the assorted infantry, two scout vehicles, the light, medium, and heavy tanks, as well as the mobile artillery/TD super tank, along with the various support vehicles as well. Each of the factions follow this trend to the letter, in fact, it seems like the individual vehicle stats for each faction are identical. This means the factions you use will be purely a matter of visual preference.

However, each faction does have different models for each of these otherwise cookie-cutter units. The Germans have the Tiger I in place of the US Pershing, the Jagdtiger in place of the US T95 etc. Hilariously, the Czechoslovakian faction uses some of the early war Czech tanks, so, yes, you will see Panzer 38s going toe to toe with Pershings (and faring pretty well). So, if you are looking for an RTS with historically accurate units, keep looking. I don't mind, personally, it is a "what if" scenario, maybe they developed super Panzer 38s or something.

Some issues I have with the game:

Doesn't run on the iPad 2/Mini 1. Can't really do much about that, though it would be nice to see support for these devices.

Infantry seem worthless. Sure, you can get a lot of them, but I could buy another T-34 for the price of four AT soldiers. Tanks are faster, more dangerous in terms of armament, and have the ability to have their armour upgraded.

Stats for units are unclear. It shows that, for example, a Tiger I, when upgraded, has MORE health than a King Tiger that is upgraded. Now, there is at least basic armour modelling in game, damage taken from the front is greatly lessened, and there's even a crew skill that you can unlock that gets your tanks to traverse the hull and point their front towards the enemy they are attacking. What is not clear is whether or not the heavier tanks have more armour in the front than their lighter counterparts, or if it's just a flat damage reduction across all tanks. If so, it makes little sense as to why the heavy tanks are LESS durable than their faster, cheaper counteparts, as the "HP" stat is greater for the mediums.

Only one AI player in Skirmish. Don't know why this limit is in place.

No unit variation between factions. A Czech Hetzer is no different from an American T95 in game, yet in reality they are worlds apart in role and function. I don't mind using older vehicles vs newer ones, but at least give them some differences. Make the Hetzer quicker but less durable, and the T95 slower but nigh invincible from the front.

And that's about it! So far, it seems promising. It may not have been regarded well when compared to PC titles like Company of Heroes, but on iOS, we're actually surprisingly lacking a "conventional" WWII RTS. This may be that title.

12. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #32 CalinR, Feb 19, 2015
    I'm glad you took the time to check the stats, I was wondering if the factions are different. I think the cosmetic variation's still nice. The game's no CoH, so totally get where you're coming from with the armor concerns, but that's just it like you said: it's an old port of a pc game that finally made it on to the iPad, I'm happy this device finally has some serious games on it.

As for the gfx, I forgot specifically, but I think the iPad 2 has like, 1 GB of ram or something like that. I'm a pc guy and don't know diddly about ipad specs, but I'm not surprised the older models can't run games like this. They weren't intended to be hardcore gaming platforms, and while the technology might be available and cheap enough to produce, I just don't think apple's the company that's gonna lead the charge into cheap AND powerful tablets. Their entire marketing strategy's geared towards noticeable but incremental improvements and semi yearly hardware releases, so I'm not surprised the ipad2's becoming obsolete as far as hardware specs go.

13. Delta256

Delta256 New Member

Jan 11, 2014
    #33 Delta256, Feb 19, 2015
    Actually, looking around, this game seems very recent, like, 2013 was the Windows release date. Still, not much competition on iOS, so its shortcommings can be forgiven a bit here. And, hey, identical unit stats means I can trash Tigers with late 1930s tanks, which is kinda fun for whatever reason. And it's still miles better than Stronghold 3's port, though it could use more context sensitivity. I should only see a repair button when I have a repair vehicle selected.

And, yeah, gonna have to grab a new iDevice at some point, likely a Mini 2, as long as it isn't forced into obsolescence too quickly.

14. 4Flash

4Flash Member

Feb 19, 2015
    #34 4Flash, Feb 19, 2015
    @Bloodangel: Hello, i'm the programmer of this game. We considering to release it on iphone6 too :)

15. 4Flash

4Flash Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes, if you purchasing the full game, the ads will be removed.

16. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Great! Purchased. A great game, gets better the more you play.

17. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    This fictional timeline 'What if Germany invaded the United States?
    This is implausible, how did Germany have the resources to invade the us and hold it?
    Of course this is a game so I guess anything could happen

18. 4Flash

4Flash Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes the story is strongly fictional :) But ... Did you know that the USA prepared for a possible German invasion? They built some coast defense points. In Timelines-AOA the first mission playing around Forth Delaware.

19. Dittsche

Dittsche Member

Dec 11, 2013
    The game is fantastic. But I need a manual. The tutorial is really short. Thats a petty. When its possible in german. So idont know, for what i need a generator. Or is is possible to make a new HQ in the near from the front? Like the pcgame ruse. Thanks for the answer.

20. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    You're totally right, my bad. I don't know why I saw 2013 and got 2003 stuck in my head. That's sorta surprising in that case, how bare bones the game is as far as resting unit distance, no formations, features like that. I love the upgrade system though, so amazing. I wish all RTSs had it.