Universal Time Surfer (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    I did say I was going to wait till this was free and stick with tiny wings, but...

I decided to buy this game in the end and I've just had the best hour on my iPod EVER!!!

This game is AWESOME!!!! excellent addictive gameplay and some of the best game music I've ever heard.

Time Surfer could well be my favourite ios game of all time.

2. >:D

>:D Active Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I just got a score of 7251 in the normal mode when I was out without an internet connection -but it's not showing up in Game Center now. I've tried a few times to clear my multitasking bar and re-open time surfer and Game Center, but I can't seem to get my score to sync. It still says 5133, my previous score (which I got when I had an internet connection). I've tried playing a few games more games of time surfer since then as well as rebooting my device and I can't get it to sync.

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Game Impressions

Besides the iCloud saving issues i'm still facing, it's hard to beat down on this game about anything. If I had a wishlist, it's just that I could play this split-screen with my wife a-la Tiny Wings HD.

While Dungelot won my heart over for GOTY this week, this ranks right up there with Joe Danger in terms of just how damn fun it is to play.

I hope more characters / flair / new ideas are in the works for future updates :)

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Got this today because I've enjoyed getting Bean's Quest for free and like the tie ins with other devs games. Plus it has a tardis.

I'm not doing super well at it yet but I have managed 6th place in Hell Mode so I feel pretty good abou that.

I wasn't interested in tiny wings or the clones of it bit this seemed like a good purchase if for no other reason than a thanks to the dev for the freebie. Pretty awesome game though it took me far too long to figure out how to play without having to feed a pet each time. Ha. The TA Plays video was a plus.

5. abifont

abifont New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Game Impressions

I have to say it's fantastic. A giant step up from Tiny Wings, and an Endless Runner actually worth playing in between the hundreds out there on the app store. It absolutley nails the speed, the precision, and the balanced use of rewinding time to make he perfect run and complete the well realized missions.

Overall, highly reccommended.

6. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just reached 8700 m in Normal Mode. Without any pet. What a rush. Looove this game. I loved Tiny Wings, but I loooooove this game ;)

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oD

Congrats!

I just finally broke into the top 25, and was ecstatic. =oP

This has very quickly become my go to game. Looking at my stats, I've played 182 games now. =oP

I know that's not as many as others, but it's a whole hell of a lot more than I initially thought I'd play considering how I didn't click with Tiny Wings... =oP

9. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    How dare you relegate me to #3 on my friends leaderboard, this shall not be tolerated! :p

Great score though!

10. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    #130 proof21, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    First off, incredible game!! I have a question though, about the art work, I've noticed some Masonic stuff. The eye of the lizard in the logo, the time surfer on the title art screen is giving a two finger hand sign. And in Hell mode there are "all seeing eyes" every where. It could be coincidence, but a lot of satanic/ Masonic symbology.

Just curious.

11. graham

graham Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Ohhhh right. So that's what that meant.

Ha. Thanks, it was driving me nuts. Can't believe I tried everything but the one thing it actually "states" in the objective...!

12. Well, kind of curious to see who I agree with Syntheticvoid or gabrien, two elders on this board. Also, saw that nightc1 liked it, and curious to see how well it plays on hdmi, and as night said, got soooooo much enjoyment for the bean's quest thread in the price reduction forum, that I am going to buy it.

Be back later to see if either SV or gabrien was right.

13. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    No worries, mate. Glad I could help!

14. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #134 Matt33, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    When accompanied by a pet that protects against spikes in any way, and you're in a speed boost and hit a spike, the pet activates even though the speed boost is capable of smashing the spikes.

Suggestion: stop the pet from activating during this collision, and allow the speed boost spike smash to follow through instead, so you can keep the pet's ability for when you need it.

Edit: whoops, this is a problem with the fire beetle but not the rock bug; not sure about the other spike-related pets now.

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Having loved Bean's Quest, this was an instabuy, and I am not disappointed!
    It's definitely more fast paced and adrenaline rushed than Tiny Wings, and I LOVE the soundtrack! The Time Rewind is also very convienent and a great new mechanic to the game!

16. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    #136 lena, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    I like the game. It's polished, graphics and music are lovely, the rewind mechanic adds something new and it is fun. I like the missions, and that there is a variety in difficulty. The planet grinding mechanic is great. I like the shout-outs. But, I feel like I'm missing something with regards to the virtual currency. I often have runs where I do not collect cakes at all if I don't happen to complete a mission. I know they are not strictly necessary, but pets like the Plastic Phoenix (recover from pit with speed boost) are really super useful, but I can only use it very rarely or pay quite a bit of money. Using 1 plastic phoenix costs 50 cakes, which is 0.89 eurocents. Even buying a cake planet for 17.99 only gives 27 Plastic Phoenixes. I understand that deciding whether to use a pet or not is part of the game, that it adds an element of luck, etc., but being able to buy your way out of that in a highscore game still feels kind of meh to me, especially when it is virtually impossible to get enough currency just by playing the game.

I don't see anyone complaining about this though, unlike for example the Endless Road thread where everyone complained that the items were too expensive, so I wonder if I'm missing something with regards to collecting cakes?

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    No.

I still think this is a great game, but pretty much as soon as I sussed out the IAP, any desire to play it went out the window.

18. Andy C83

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    For what it's worth, I played 3 games paying 100 cakes each game to use the Dragon for a speed boost at the start of the level. Each run was a fail. Got fed up of wasting the cakes, played without a pet, and got my current high score of 7,500.

As far as I'm concerned cakes are now strictly being used to unlock stuff. I think the pet system is neat, but could have been implemented better. Maybe pay x amount of cake to unlock a pet, but once unlocked you're able to equip it permently. Because bringing a pet along by no means guarantees a high score, just wasted cakes.

Which is why, in my opinion, this game is not considered 'pay to win'. Use pets or don't use pets, the best players will go to the top.

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    But to take that to its logical extreme, (which is always best for illustrating a point) still means that in a scenario where two players of equal skill compete with one always using the best pet and the other using none, the one using the pet will have a clear advantage.

What's stopping a player from using a pet for every single run, thus eliminating the "gamble" and gaining a permanent advantage? Nothing at all. So long as they are willing to keep paying.

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Yeah, I understand that it is not just pay to win. You clearly need lots of skill (and a bit of luck) too. But the Plastic Phoenix gives such a big advantage. I used it a few times and it didn't help me get a highscore either, but I am sure that if I could use it every single time, it would help me get a higher score. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just the game limiting me in how often I could use Plastic Phoenix, because then I knew that everyone else was playing by the same limits. Now I feel that I'm mostly limited by money.