iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Played a couple of games against the AI, and then ventured on-line, where I got my *** handed to me. :)

Had to force myself to shut down the iPad and go to sleep. This is a really good game, but I have some strategy to learn!! I have no issue with the speed of the AI, I think it's perfect. Online play is almost the same speed!

My only complaint is the NPCs that jabber away on each screen transition. Shut up already!!!! :mad:

2. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    No pass and play, no buy.

3. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Add me on Gamecenter if you want to get a game going sometime.

I'm bgribin. Say in your friend request that you're looking for some TtR action. ;)

4. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Guys, Ticket to Ride is seriously one of the best board games ever made. You know, if you're in doubt or anything.

5. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    4 player online matches are awesome, I've never played the actual board game with that many people. I like the ranking system, but I wish there would also be a win loss record.

6. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, TtR is a fun game that will be keeping me occupied until Puerto Rico is released. I really like how it's easy to pick up and play a short game, this game is really quick moving and I enjoy that.

7. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

I can understand being disappointed about the lack of pass and play, but I don't understand the position that the game is not worth buying without that feature. Can't you get enough play out of the game going against the AI and against other people online that it's worth ten bucks for the game and the expansions? The online setup is fantastic. We spend all this time complaining about multiplayer glitches with other games. TTR doesn't have that problem.

This is, without a doubt, one of the top 5 board game implementations so for on the Ipad. The lack of pass and play, while unfortunate, just isn't a fatal flaw.

8. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    Yea i want pass and play!!!! I did buy it!

will they update it with pass n play??

and is it worth it to get the expansions while they are so cheap?!

Thanks guys!

9. epthegeek

epthegeek Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Does the online multiplayer let you do a "play by mail" style in the same way that (the game every board game should copy for multi-player) carcassonne does? Or is it only "live" games where you have to start, all be present, and play until the end?

10. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I'll go a step further: TtR is the best boardgame implementation ever seen for iOS. It blows Carcassonne, everyone's golden child, right out of the water. It's not even close.

I'll even rank TtR slightly ahead of my beloved Neuroshima Hex right now. It really is that good (of course, NH is soon due to release some new features, so I expect it to regain the top spot).

Anyone crying over alleged missing features in TtR, or the cost, or whatever, is just seriously missing out. For anyone on the fence, you can trust me: this game is the reason you bought that iPad.

11. After thinking about it I think they are smart NOT to implement local pass and play as it'd slow down game play almost to the brink of even slower than in real life I believe. I would say well be nice perhaps to play bluetooth with other ipads but I guess just have everyone connect online should suffice for the time being.

12. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA

Hellloooooo?!?!? Please? :)

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    You should take the expansions! :D

14. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    The game is a joy.
    I even put my order & chaos on hold for it today!

Now I hope they bring all maps (and start also updating small world .... deeevvvvvs)

15. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Great game but nevertheless some points:

1. As I wrote before I would like to choose against which AI player I would like to play ...

2. Different AI level (from easy to very hard)!

3. A way to adjust AI speed.

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium

4. AI personalities

17. zeuhl

zeuhl Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Fully agree. These would be very nice to have. But otherwise an excellent game and awesome Ipad conversion, this is how it should be done.

18. noderunner

noderunner Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Fantastic!

I'm really impressed with the game so far. The tutorial was well done, the game UI is fantastic, and the art is top-notch. The developers are really perfecting the analog-to-digital conversion of board games.

The only small complaint I have is the lack of text labels in the main menus. I don't really like having to wait for the announcer to tell me what each button does.

Support for local pass-and-play would also be nice.

Great app! I can't wait to see what game they convert next!

19. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

I am really hoping an iOS conversion of Gang of Four will be forthcoming. Along with Tichu, it's one of my favorite card games, and Days of Wonder's online multiplayer is already in place.

20. epthegeek

epthegeek Member

Jul 22, 2010
    The thing that makes Carcassonne the 'golden child' (for me anyway) as you put it, is the asynchronous multi-player. Same for Disc Drivin and Uniwar.

Does TTR do that? or not?

I'm not interested in playing TTR against AI, just casually against friends at my own pace, when I have time to take turns.