iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Unless you don't have access to the Internet when you are playing, bots aren't really necessary because the online system is very well implemented from what I have experienced so far.

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This version of Ticket to Ride is excellent. ELO-rated online play (optional), chat, 3 Expansions with new maps and rules, detailed instructions and tutorial videos, automatic train placement. Online play is close to perfect, but local multiplayer would have been a nice feature too. Jury's still out on the AI; played two games on two different expansions and won both, but I need more data. Highly recommended.

3. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    #43 cptlockheed, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    The AI are named the same as the AIs in the web version (nebulousbot, directbot - telling their playing styles) and they are not so hot. I liked the named AIs in the pc version better, don't know why they went with this naming in the app.

Is there any way to disable the extremely annoying speech in the menus (other than by turning the sound off completely)? Also, the scoring should be skippable by tapping the screen. Otherwise, a pretty good implementation.

Edit: one more tiny imperfection: in this version the tickets are cut from the left edge when the route is completed and this makes it impossible to see the French point values in country-to-country tickets on Switzerland map.

Edit 2: re local multiplayer: this would require tedious iPad passing from hand to hand, as the player cards are kept secret. Local multiplayer works a lot better in games with open information (like for example in Small World, Neuroshima Hex and Through the Desert)

4. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Unless they implement it as in Scrabble with the free iPhone Rack app pushed onto the store. This would be absolutely perfect. Would love to see some card games implemented using this approach too...

Isn't this a lovely title for the iPad though?! I have never played the board game until now but already I love it. Nice to see something so well done.

Jamie

5. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    ^This.

It's a proven system for hidden information. Most people I know have iPhones...

6. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Yeah, I didn't mean to sound critical. I've been playing the pc and web version for years and this app is the smoothest and fastest software implementation of the game. The card hands in iPod/iPhones would be a neat solution for local play, but on the other hand, if you have local players around, the real board game is definitely the way to go. The hands-on feeling and tension when playing face to face with tangible components can't be beat by the app, ever. So now you have to buy the board game, too :) And all the expansions of course :D

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I wonder if this games also means they will give small world a multiplayer update .....

8. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I would like to see different AI players and a possibility to pick different AI level ...

9. cptlockheed

Dec 12, 2008
    Finland
    Doubtful... They already had the online infrastructure ready for TtR so it was easy to implement (I only wonder what took them so long to create the iPad client). Also, Small World currently has no multiplayer at all, being a two player version only on iPad and no existing online version on web or pc/Mac.

But I really hope I'm wrong and DoW realizes how much potential there is on iPad gaming and they will expand their software effort. Maybe they'll do Memoir 44 next, as it is already out in computer online version.

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Does multiplayer works on 3G as well (and how much does it consumes)?
    Any ideas?

11. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Yeah, agreed on that but instabuy for me anyway. I know Alan Moon and this is one of his best games ever. Really, really great game! I'll buy and if it's not perfect, will hope it gets there soon.

By the way, I contacted support and demanded an UNDO button and they said they're workin' on it.

12. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I would have thought that as well but since UNO and several poker games have managed to do it (by cupping your hand and the cards display on touch) local multiplayer on the iPad for a card game doesn't require the iPad to be passed around.

13. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    What Scrabble did (and SlotRush) is a huge pain, especially when it comes to Apple certification. The "bang for the buck" isn't there for most developers given the incredibly small percentage of people that have at least three iOS devices at their disposal AND want to use the feature. If Days of Wonder have the time and money, sure it would be a nice option but I'm not holding my breath.

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Does this only have 1 map? and the 3 exp. are 3 other maps?
    And plays this just like Catan ?

15. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Yes, 1 map and then 1 expansion changes the game play by adding new cards and the other 2 are different maps. No, it doesn't play like catan it is an entirely different game and great in its own right.

Also, I think the experience would suffer if they had same device multiplayer. The visual and audio cues add a lot to the game and would have to be sacrificed in local play. For example the animation with sounds when you complete a card would have to be changed otherwise it would give away that you completed a card. I also like that the destinations you have are always marked, that would have to be changed.

The game would also just not be as fun with pass and play. While the other player takes their turn you are looking at the board and your cards to strategize your next turn. In a pass and play situation you wouldn't be able to do anything while the other person has the iPad.

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Gave up ... bought.
    Now I have to stay far from Order & Chaos to find time .... first impression is great art, but a bit cluttered in the central station.

17. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    No hotseat, no sale. I cannot believe they left this out. It's a board game adaption. How are board games usually played? That's right. In a room, at a table, with other people. (Start sarcasm) Yeah, I'd much rather play with total strangers online than with my family. Good move, Dow. Somehow, after the debacle that was 'small world', this doesn't surprise me.

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Honestly, I play the board game with my family .... not the ipad version. That feels sad.

19. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

On a board.

20. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Lol.