Universal Thumb Space (By Rob Hayes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 4, 2016.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I cannot beat that damn thing.

2. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    I'm so going to write some tactics on them.

3. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Elite Drone 101 - Blue Shield Elite

Introducing Elite Drone 101
    [​IMG]

Blue Shield Elite:
    The juggernaut with allot of health, edging unendingly towards you. Luckily, despite its massive health pool it is a large sitting duck. If you don’t own the fastest thumb in the west, you might want to try picking up a rapid fire weapon such as cluster missile or gatling gun.

More coming soon!

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    So should we continue with this one? I want to give a full review. Which thread should I use?

Billy

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I've merged the two threads so hopefully this should be the one and only thread from now on.

6. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks Jared, really appreciate the help.

I'll be posting another Elite Drone 101 soon, which elite would you like to see featured next?

7. TabloidA

TabloidA New Member

May 9, 2016
    That one with the Shields spinning around it. That Elite Drone recently was the only thing keeping me from getting almost 10,000 points. If you hit the shields does it heal it or something? It's just a bit frustrating :)

8. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Very unique and surprisingly good game. Never played anything like this.

9. Theihe

Theihe New Member

May 9, 2016
    Sweden
    So here's my contribrution for the little spaceship contest:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByjXOhsi9ATDR3hGbEJJWUlrTjg
    I call it the "Melting Ship" due to how the bubble has... well, melted. When comparing it to the lineup I do see that mine lacks some strong contrasts with greys to make it look more mech, which is why I included the PSD file in case the team behind Thumb Space wanted to clean it up :)
    Well I'm crossing my thumbs (haha) and hoping for the best!

PS. I can't send PMs on Scirra, Hayes, so if anything comes up- shoot me an email :)

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Color me intrigued! Downloading this now! Think I'm gonna dig this!! #

11. haha, great title!

12. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    And my particular favorite! I'll be posting shortly so stay tuned. Epic score btw, with points like that your well ahead of me. You'll have to share a screenshot so we can start a thumb war!

Love it, always happy to surprise!

Looks fantastic! The colours should work really well in space. I quite like that the materials are contrasting to the other ship designs, makes for a nice change. Always a fan of the thumb puns haha

Awesome, look forward to hearing what you think.

We aimed for entertaining and informative. Thanks!

13. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Elite Drone 101
    [​IMG]

Pink Spin Elites:
    Trickiest of all the elites, this drone can deflect any oncoming volleys you send its devious way! With only a small window of attack this enemy is only for the veteran thumb. The elites spinning shields however hold an evil trick, if they happen to be hit by any weapon, it will gain health DOUBLE to the weapons damage! This little trick even makes the strongest of weapons such as the nuke almost useless against it.

When fighting the spinning fury of this elite, instead of high power weapons, thumbs should choose either bullet or missile thanks to their unique accuracy. It’s important to note that weapons such as laser and plasma beam will continue through the ship and potentially to a spinning shield on the other side and undo all your hard work.

The key is, keep it simple. Even if that means draining your epic weapons before you engage!

More coming soon!

14. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Starting to design a new reload system. With this concept the idea is to "dock" your ship when it's able to reload. Your thumb doesn't have to stretch or even come off the ship with this design!

Love to know what you folks think of the idea.

[​IMG]

15. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Reloading

Started implementing the new reload mechanic into construct 2 today. Should hopefully be ready to send it off to testflight very soon!

[​IMG]

16. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    That's a nice solution that won't break the game flow!

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok,

Disclaimer: I was briefly part of the beta on this game. So I might be a bit biased but I try to be objective when I look at a game. With that said here we go:

So you won't find a game like this on the AppStore. I want to start off with that because it's true. This game brings a unique experience in a nicely presented package that is accessible for anyone whether you want the free to play experience or a fully premium experience. The game is at its heart a Shoot'em up. But it's unique in that it's kinda not. You are a ship in space and drones with lasers that stretch across the entire field slowly come at you. You must maneuver your ship and hit the drone creating the laser destroying it. Drones appear all over the screen so you are constantly moving back and forth. The drones drop currency which you also have to try to collect at the sametime that you use to unlock all sorts of items. The gameplay gets faster and more intense and then you get to a boss which will kick your ass. Hehe. All in all its just damn fun! The game has that one more time feel to it and once you start playing you just want to try again and again.

To make things more interesting the game offers so many unlockables it will keep you so busy collecting the currency. From new ships to different weapons with their own unique abilities to mods to ship trails. I could go on all day. Did I also mention there are even different backgrounds to unlock? Also I should mention special weapons do need to be reloaded while playing. The dev is already putting in a better reload mechanic as right now you have to reach the top of the screen. It kind of breaks the flow especially when it's frantic. But this is a minor point and again it's being addressed.

Let's talk monetization. For myself I'm a premium type of guy. So I immediately purchased the $3.99 purchase all option. It unlocks everything. That way I can just have fun. But there are so many other options that are actually cheap like just unlocking mods or weapons. Or you don't have to pay anything and collect the currency and watch opt in ads to unlock stuff. Again the game is totally accessible to anyone. Well done dev on giving so many options.

Finally let's look at the dev. Right from the beta I can tell you the dev really cares about this game and his players. Look at this thread. He's already incorporating user feedback and showing new ideas. This is the type of dev we need on iOS. Providing unique gaming experiences that actually care and are willing to take the time out to talk to us.

Give the game a try. It really is a fun and unique experience. I really like this game. It definitely earned my money and my 5 stars. I can't wait to see what the dev does down the road.

Billy

18. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    Billy (LordShad0wz) you've really hit the nail on the head!

I'm totally biased as well, seen as I became a member of the Thumb Space team after the prototype (I cut the trailer, helped with marketing and input of ideas) but how you just described TS is what draw me to the project in the first place.

Thumb Space, as you say 'brings a unique experience in a nicely presented package' with that 'one more time feel to it'. It would be great if some of the big review sites (I know there's only one really - TA) would pick it up so that TS could hit a wider audience.

Thanks Billy and the rest of you (you know who you are) for your kind words and support!

19. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Wow Billy, I mean wow! Thanks, I really do appreciate it massively! This is why we do what we do.

So the app store just updated here in the UK and I'm incredibly pleased to announce that we've been featured!

And I'm sure it's thanks to you guys for showing our small game so much love over here!

Still on track with the reload update in a couple of days (on testflight anyway).

20. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    New Ship Designs Incoming!

You slapped on the creative greases and did some tinkering and from it, 3 amazing ship designs emerged!

[​IMG]

Entrants: Theihe, TabloidA , hvianna

We loved what you came up with so much that.. WE'RE ADDING ALL 3 TO THUMB SPACE!