Universal Through the Ages (by Czech Games Edition)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by currymutton, Sep 15, 2017.

1. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    New update work for me now

2. tdunaj

tdunaj Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Does it have the classic mode, the one where Napo really rules? :)

3. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    FINALLY! I beat the "easy" AI. It can be done!

4. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Anyone know how to submit a bug report?

I'm playing an async game online with a friend and all of a sudden when the particular game loads the app crashes. It's happening for me (the player whose turn is starting) and also the other player.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While crash free in-game, I do often crash at startup, but once I bring the minimized app back up it plays fine.

6. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Good tip, but it doesn't help my situation. After the game crashes, when I go into the open apps view on iOS, it shows the app with a "Loading" screen. When I try to bring the app back up it reloads from the start and crashes again.

7. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Update: I submitted a bug report using the form on this page http://czechgames.com/en/contact/ and recieved a very prompt response from the developer. Awesome customer service!

8. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Man, I've been waiting for a game to come along and recapture the level enjoyment I got from playing Civ 2 in the late 90s, and here it is. This game just boils away all of the crap that has accumulated and encumbered the Civilization series over the years beginning with the third installment.

I'm still getting used to TtA versus Civ, for example don't be afraid to jump from bronze or iron age labs straight to computers if you can. I was subconsciously forcing myself to progress through the tiers in linear fashion even when the opportunity to "skip" a tier of a certain building type presented itself.

It's amazing that this doesn't spoil the "feel" of Civ. Being able to progress based on the card system rather than a static tech tree really opens up your strategic options in a way that Civ just can't touch from my experience.

One question: How do the board game versus digital rules change the gameplay? Are things a little less loosey goosey as far as progression through the ages go? Or does it slow play down in different ways?

9. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    I contacted CGE due to a problem with one online game, which consistently started crashing when reaching Age II. They replied and suggested sending bug reports to [email protected]. They also locked the game and will reset my timer when it's fixed.

I'm really digging CGE, they release a phenomenal app and seem to be showing strong customer service.

10. Unstablefan

Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Is TA planning to review TtA? This is GOTY material IMO!

11. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hope this answers

I also loved Civ III and think that Civ IV, V, etc have made the gameplay so cumbersome I don't get to end a game.

This game however, captures the Civ III feel in a boardgame (though if you are also into boardgames, I suggest trying the new Civilization from Fantasy Flight, it remakes the previous Civ from FF).

Answering your question, the only difference I have noticed between tabletop and digital is in the bidding for colonies. Let me explain:
    - In tabletop mode you get to bid and outbid, until everyone passes and one wins.
    - In digital mode everyone blind bids once and whoever is higher wins. there is no outbidding.

Digital mode may be "faster" and "cheaper", but I feel the escalation of conflict is diminished there, so I almost always use tabletop mode.

12. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    Anyone else having the game come to an end just as you're starting to make a real juggernaut of a civ?

I wish there was some kind of never-ending mode where cards just kept coming until only one player was left standing.

And thanks for answering my questions. I'll give tabletop mode a whirl tomorrow.

13. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    Finding alot of my multiplayer games are getting corrupted and when loaded up just crash back to desktop. Anyone else getting this? I'm on an iPad Pro 9.7 iOS 10.3.2 latest game update.

14. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Pretty good game, a lot of time to play.
    Compared to the game's reputation and completeness, it feels a little underrated at the Touch Arcade.

15. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    For me by far the best game of the last year!

16. IOSgamer1980

Nov 6, 2015
    The challenge levels go a long way to addressing the previous concern I posted on this page, and add tons of meat to the single player.

This is mobile's Civ 2 IMHO. A true classic that I played for years nearly nonstop.

17. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I cannot manage to beat the AI in easy.

Any tips ?

18. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
  19. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
  20. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I won the first game, lost the next two, and now i rately lose to easy AI. A word of advice, different player counts can influence difficulty tremendously. I win easy and medium if 2player, or easy up to 4p, but if i start putting 2medium AIs in a 3p game, i get beaten most of the time.