Universal Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (by CD Projekt Red)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by skoptic, Jul 9, 2020.

1. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

thank you Rocksaint! Totally in it for the single player. Like you, never a fan of gwent in the game, but this looks so damn good to not buy, lol

Collin and Rocksaint like this.
  2. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Yeah. Such experiences are rare on mobile. I know the price and the overall size is a bit steep, but I’m sure the storytelling will be worth it. It’s CD Projekt Red after all.

sugimulm likes this.
  3. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

yes indeed, now just got to wait for Cyberpunk 2077 to come out, ugh

Rocksaint likes this.
  4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I’ve heard the game suffered from performance issues on the Switch. How is the iOS version? I plan on playing on the previous model iPad Pro 10.5

5. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    It seems rock solid and very polished... I’m a very happy camper

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah — no issues here, either (on an iPhone XS)

7. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    Does this game heat up the phone?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Not particularly.

Zemar likes this.
  9. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    No issue so far with latest iPad Pro 11

10. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Doesn’t appear to do IOS cloud save but either GOG or Steam!

11. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Xs Max, plays and runs incredible.

12. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    This game looks very intriguing. Would I need to be very familiar with the Gwent Card game before I download this. I just started playing Gwent and it the first Card Game I have really enjoyed. Just wondering should I spend more time learning how to play it before downloading Thronebreaker. Also does Thronbreaker require an online connection like the Gwent Card game.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I’m new to Gwent, and I didn’t have a problem.

14. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Thanks for that. Now to free up some space on my phone.

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #35 GiHubb, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    The major downside of Thronebreaker is Gwent, the card game that drives it. It’s a lackluster card game in my opinion. I’ve never played Gwent before, but it is uninspiring at best when compared to the likes of Hearthstone and just plain bland to play on its own merits. It feels like a mini game which it actually was on the Witcher. So yes, everything surrounding the campaign is beautiful, and the story is deep, but ultimately, I don’t enjoy the card game behind it all.

stubbieoz likes this.
  16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    As a dad of a toddler and infant, the thought of jumping into The Witcher universe with the massive third installment was a bit overwhelming due to my limited gaming time. But this game seemed much more reasonable. And being a premium single player experience with RPG elements, exploration, and a card game, I was sold! So far, this is one of the best games I’ve experienced. The music and aesthetic really draw me in, and the storytelling and voice work are phenomenal enough to keep me engaged and enjoying it.

It has a save feature that allows for manual saves outside of (card) battles, and then it also auto saves often. I’m surprised this game didn’t get announced as coming to mobile before it dropped! It’s worth the price, for sure.

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Following up on the earlier @Rocksaint post, Thronebreaker wasn’t necessarily showing up in iCloud until yesterday when I was hit with the typical email telling me I was running out of space. I highly doubt the game has cloud saves (well, iOS specific ones...of course the GOG and Steam ones exist), but it’s definitely uploading the ~2GB of documents and data to iCloud. I highly recommend everyone go into their iCloud settings and turn off Thronebreaker. Just irks me that such an otherwise extremely polished experience has silly faults like this and the janky additional download. :(

Rocksaint likes this.
  18. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Overall, I’m impressed. There is a lack of premium rpg’s on the AppStore so this is such a pleasant surprise. True, Gwent isn’t great but it isn’t bad either. It’s gameplay is focused on a scoring points rather than reducing opponents health, so if you can accept that, the rpg gameplay Is worth it. I will say I’m a bit on the fence when it comes to “puzzle” battles. The solutions are rarely obvious (to me anyway) and usually require trial-and-error to get them right. Some may like the puzzles, but I usually find them more frustrating than entertaining. Otherwise, the story is rich with superb voice acting and while the overland map somewhat limits you to a linear plot progression, you can deviate, explore and discover areas and events that are unrelated to main plot. If your looking for a polished, premium, western RPG, the price is well worth it.

19. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I agree. I find the puzzle battles very tedious. I played a few games of the Gwent multiplayer game before buying this and I enjoyed the game. I was expecting more of the same here but as you say the puzzle battles require a lot of trial and error. I have had to resort to a walkthrough on more occasions than I would like.

20. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    It's been over a month since this was released and it pains me to say my previous comments still stand: Thronebreaker has, by far, the worst first launch user experience I've ever encountered in my life and it kills me because otherwise, the production values are out of this world.

So, I deleted this a while ago to see what was going in the background regarding the additional download, and I have literally not been able to download the additional data AT ALL since moving to our summer house. Literally everything else in the universe is fine here, and the speed we get up here is like 5 times faster than my regular connection, yet (on this latest update) I'm stuck at 2/11 packets on WiFi that refuse to progress without shoving the error pop up in my face (and no progression on the bar either), and despite the App Store download taking all of 3 minutes on a data connection, the additional data moves at a snail's pace (which, I'd be willing to wait for EXCEPT IT'S NOT ACTUALLY USING ANY OF MY DATA [!!!!???!!,,???!!!]) on said data connection.

Sorry. Just venting. I'm done. I know it's probably the connection up here, but it shouldn't be like this! If anyone wants my copy of the game, I'd be willing to give it to you (lollelelelellelelolol) but yeah, I'd have fought to the death for a refund a while ago, but alas, it's too late.

Really done now. :p