Three Mini Chess Games Soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by xenoclone, May 28, 2009.

1. From the developer that brought you Mini Shogi comes a heckuva lot more niche chess!

First, Mini Chess. This plays chess on a 5x6 board for fast play. Four themes. Should be up within a week on the App Store for $1.99.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next, Mini Makruk, a 5x6 variant of Thai chess.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally, Mini Shatranj, a 5x6 variant of Persian chess.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Makruk and Shatranj will both be $0.99. They will be posted to the App Store as soon as their music is complete. So they're probably 2 weeks out.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    LOL Your boards are as small as the market you're catering to. Never heard of Persian or Thai chess. Gotta admit, though, nicely polished.

3. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Ah, mini chess. How chaotic the board goes. :)
    Looks very polished though, but Kamazar is right about the market. I haven't seen many people play mini-chess before, only the few times at actual chess tournaments and it was usually the younger children playing for fun.

4. Lol. Very clever. Ya, I realize the games are niche. But it wasn't much additional work to expand one game's code into 3 more. So business-wise it made sense to fully utilize what I'd made. :)

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Have you thought about adding them all together with a slightly reduced price?

If someone ends up like one or more of them then they will be more inclined to buying the bundle and trying the others

Just a thought

6. moneypossum

moneypossum New Member

May 29, 2009
    Looks great =)

7. Thanks... and, ya, I've thought about a merged one. But right now they're split and targeted to specific niches for a reason. We'll see how the experiment turns out. :D

8. Just a quick update... Mini Chess is finally in the App Store.

Shatranj's Persian music is just about done and sounding awesome... musician has yet to reveal what he's got for the Thai song. :)

As a side note, for other developers, I most definitely lost out on the Day One Bump... Apple listed my game as released in May... sigh. I fixed it, but I'm still waaay down on the new release list. Terrible system Apple has there!

9. Another brief update. Mini Shatranj is now available at the promised price of $0.99. I'm really pleased with how this one turned out so I hope people check it out!

10. Whoahahahahah

Whoahahahahah Member

Jun 8, 2009
    How about Chinese chess?

11. Ya, I have it in mind. First set of 4 is done soon: Western, Japanese, Persian, and Thai. Then I'm doing some non-chess for a bit like my Carcassonne clone which is almost done. Plus a racing game after that, which will be based on the Kart Kit I published last month.

Second set of chess games would be: Chinese, Korean, Crazy house, and (possibly) a space combat game using the same chess engine. :D

12. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I would totally get Crazyhouse. Not mini, the full one. That would be epic. :D

13. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I've been looking for a good chess game on my phone

14. I can mod my engine to do that. It's just a matter of spending the time. Though in general a full chess AI needs to be a bit more sophisticated than a mini chess AI, thanks to the bigger board and the higher number of skilled players. :D

I suppose my inspiration to do more board games after this round will depend on how the first five do!