Three apps you can't live without...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Sep 22, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    ... well, maybe you could live without them, but you wouldn't want to.

If I had to pick three it'd be

1) Pandora
    2) Evernote
    3) Beatmaker

I'm curious to hear what the rest of you would pick.

well:confused:...

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

galcon - play a couple of quick games a day, and love the online multiplayer games

Apples Music App, the one that came with the ipod, i know its not technically a third party app, but i am constantly using it

papi jump, just because i have a drinking bet on # of attempts to beat a current high score, if you attempt but dont beat it, you have to drink///who knew it was a drinking game [pee ess, i dont do it every day haha]

there are tons of fun apps, but none compare to the first two for amount of use everyday

i use these once a week

beer bounce is fun
    cybeicman
    realsoccer 09
    Culture
    MotionX poker
    Air sharing
    mote-m
    knots
    igolf

3. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    1) Maps - Not a 3rd party app, but i use it constantly for just about everything, especially with the improved functions of the 3g.

2) Stanza - Having a nearly endless library of classic books to read right at your fingertips boggles my mind. I have a substantial collection of modern releases as well and it's super easy to send them right to my phone.

3) Ambiance - I fall asleep easier with white noise, especially during long travel, so this is a must for me.

My runner ups would be Shazam, Pandora, Movies, and Weatherbug.

4. tylerkirk

tylerkirk New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I have 7 pages of apps, so this was pretty difficult to narrow down.

- Crash Kart: It's always entertaining and you can always try to beat your own high score. Not to mention, the graphics are awesome.

- Line Rider: I was so happy to see that this game had become available for the iPhone. I think it's easier to use on the iPhone than it is on the comp., and you can check out other people's courses.

- Labyrinth: One of the best anti-boredom games. Idea is simple, but the levels are difficult and equal tons of fun.

Other games frequented:

- Anaconda
    - AquaForest
    - Sextuple Word Challenge
    - Cube Runner
    - Expando
    - iCopter
    - Pandora
    - PapiJump
    - reMovem
    - Rolo
    - TanZen
    - Toy Bot
    - Tris (which isn't available anymore)
    - Tunnels

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Excellent! A friend of mine makes this one.

6. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Great! Glad you're enjoying it!

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    SplashID - I don't know if this is the best secure password, etc. app, but it's the one I've been using for years on my Palm and desktop, and now I have it on my iPod and it works great (well, after 2.1 update there is a minor display glitch when entering your password. Keyboard doesn't show up until you tap in the password field. Otherwise works flawlessly.)

Galcon - simply a fantastic multiplayer internet-play game. Good single player, but internet play takes it over the top

Tuner - I listen to Indie Pop Rocks almost every night as I go to sleep Incidentally, while Tuner doesn't have a built-in timer (and I wish it did), you can get the same effect via the built-in clock app. Start up the clock app, switch to timer mode and set what it should do after the timer expires to "Sleep iPod". Start the timer and then start up Tuner and go to sleep via your favorite internet stream....

8. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Excluding Apple's own apps, of course:

1. Pennies
    2. Newsstand
    3. Solebon Solitaire

9. Mondo

Mondo New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Illinois
    crunc, I actually registered so that I could reply to this (and of course list my top three apps). Just so you know, SomaFM has an iPhone specific site which allows you to listen to their streams using Safari. This has the benefit of being able to play in the background as you use other apps! It's worth looking into at least.

As for my top three (third party) apps:
    1. Cuberunner
    2. AirSharing
    3. Stanza/Balance tie (I use Balance a lot, but Stanza is just too cool!)

10. gusto5

gusto5 Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Air Sharing
    Galcon
    TimmyMe (seriously!)

11. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Spend/Shopping List
    iPoints/Goalkeep/Fatwatch
    Shovel/Wikipanion

(yes, these are 7, but they belong to each other, from a context point of view)

I have 4 Screens full of apps, so there are many others which I carry around, but they are not "needed" (like all the games, I can also entertain myself watching a tv episode on the iPod).

12. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    MotionX Poker - So fun and easy to pick up anytime
    Blue Skies - Ijust beat the game for the 5th time
    Crash Racing - So much FUN!

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Holy cow! A) I didn't know that they'd updated to an iPhone/touch savvy site, and B) I had no idea that the browser could play music in the background! Thanks! I guess I'll have to take Tuner off the list then as IPR is the main reason I used it.

I do note that with Safari you can play music in the background, but it doesn't appear to be possible to view any other web pages as the player takes over the Safari screen entirely. Still, better then nothing.

14. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Besides Apple's default apps,

I need :

Evernote (although I seldomly use it, only to quickly have some clip notes on the go, also supports URL links)

Dropbox (webapp, sign up an account at http://www.getdropbox.com for a free 2GB account, and sync your files automatically in dropbox folders). Very handy for dragging and dropping pictures/PDFs on the go (it goes to their server not your phone).

And lastly, Pocket Guitar, Guitarist, Chord Play, and Band :) (at least one of them)

There are a lot of other apps that gives me utility and that I do use often, such as Zenbe Lists (online sync checkbox lists), Spend (quick on the go budget tracking), LifeTimer (time logs), and a few more.

The iPhone however will be not nearly half as useful if it did not have Safari. That's the true "killer app" imo.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I use Evernote and Zenbe all the time. It's really to make up for the missing to-do lists from iCal and not being able to access my iDisk from the phone. Whatever works I guess.

Now that I've been using Evernote I'm completely spoiled. If the iPhone version could store your notes instead of using them online it'd be perfect. As it is, it's still probably the most useful app I have.

16. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I use the Mail and Weather Apps a lot. But regarding 3rd party Apps i'd say that Bugdom2, CroMag and Pocketguitar are the ones i play the most (BiiBall is a very close fourth)

17. decon

decon Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Bloomberg for awesome market, news, sports articles and stock/funds tracking.

Sportacular for sports scores.

Texas Hold 'Em!

18. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Built-in Apps:
    Mail (I'm usually using Mail on my touch for texting)
    Music
    Safari (wifi is mostly the reason I bought it)

3rd party:
    Air Sharing
    Solebon Solitaire
    MLB.com At Bat

19. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    1st party apps: iPod, Maps, App Store (Phone is surprisingly used little, due to PEOPLES uber-crap service - but only they offer unlimited EDGE)
    3rd party apps: Bloomberg, HK Weather, Shazam
    Games: Trism, Texas Hold Em, Motion X Poker

20. jparris1

jparris1 Member

Jul 24, 2008
    1) Saisuke - An awesome calendar replacement that syncs with Google Calendar. More views and options than the built in calendar.

2) ToDo (Appigo) - A to do app that syncs with Toodledo.

3) Netnewswire - Keeps away boredom by letting me read my RSS feeds