Thoughts on the future of Game Center, Open Feint, Plus and Gameloft Live.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 13, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    What do you think of these online community services? Will one float to the top as an overwhelming favourite like XBL, or will all hang around in a fragmented yet long lasting Appstore community?

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I think eventually gamecenter will take over.

3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    One place makes the most sense. In GameCenter, I actually look over the statistics for once.

4. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I thought XBL wasn´t a choice for Xbox users?

Anyway, I don´t know if the non-GC services have to be paid/ licensed by the developer or something. If so they will die quickly.

Other than that I think GC has some more way to go before it can become BIG, which it undoubtedly will.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    My only issue is that the extremely casual and often times over-simplistic nature of many AppStore games renders meaningless any sense of accomplishment that might otherwise be derived from a person's overall Game Center gamerscore. The notion of Gamer Center achievements feel hallow. As such, I don't have any and don't even care.

Gameloft Live is the only current service in which I even remotely respect the validity of it's achievement point system.

6. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm not sure how achievements work though. I didn't see any restrictions on how many achievements can be put in a game. Could a developer make a game, put in 100 ridiculously easy achievements, and artificially boost their Game Center standing?

From the way I understand the PlayStation Network, a game has to be purchased to have achievement. Plus, cheaper games have less achievements. Can a free iOS game have a achievements? If so, how does that give the system any integrity? I could make an Easy Achievements app.

Press the button to get an achievement. :p

7. JazzFlight

JazzFlight Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    New York
    I just don't see why Gamecenter doesn't show your Achievement point total.
    These games give you a selection of achievements up to 1000 points, but the points go nowhere until you can see a total across all games...