Thoughts on pirating game that you bought for another platform?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fallenashes, Sep 3, 2011.

1. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    I already own many, many games for iOS, but because I switched to Android, I cannot play those games without buying them or playing the ad free ones.

While it is technically illegal, how would you feel, if say, I pirated games that I already own, just for another platform?

Note: I have not already started pirating games.

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    The real question is what caused you to leave the cult of Apple, and did you send in your official letter of resignation?

3. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'm not here to pass judgment, one way or the other, but I'd like to offer some food for thought.

If you're considering pirating a game you already own for another platform, think about the fact that someone probably had to do a lot of work to port that code, to make numerous adjustments to adapt the game to a different platform, and so forth. In a sense, the people who are responsible for designing the game, writing the original code, and so on have "already been paid..." But whoever was responsible for actually creating the port has not.

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Oh, I will gleefully pass judgment ...

And here it is: there is a special circle of hell reserved for game pirates. There are no exceptions, and no excuses are allowed.

5. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    If you don't pay for your android game, why developper will port to this platform anymore ?
    If you want more and better game, you should support the developper.
    And honestly I understand that buing two times a 60$ game is expensif, but it's harder to believe that you can't afford spending the couple of buck for your android games.

6. Johan_Ribert

Johan_Ribert Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Developer
    Rome, Italy
    If you buy a PS3 game, you also have a 360 game? is the same thing, but the price of mobile games is greatly more accessible, so buy it if you want the developer support it on your platform...

7. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    One reason a dev would port a game was to cater to those who only owned that platform (android), since, well, millions do. And another reason I am hesitating is that there are no android gift cards, and going through my frugal parents each time is a hassle. Apple is very smart to make gift cards accesssible. But excuses are excuses.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I dislike game pirates as much as the next guy, but no exceptions?

What if you paid for an iOS game that is no longer available, like say Stoneloops! of Jurassica and you no longer have it on you computer?

Would downloading a copy off a random website, still reserve you a special place in this circle of hell?

To me that is the only exception, at least that I can think of off the top of my head.

9. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    you can still download it legally. just go to the purchased section of itunes and you can download any app you have, no matter if it was pulled.

10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Really?

Well forget what I said then, I didn't know iTunes had this option.

11. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    yup, it's rather new. it came out when icloud was announced i think.

12. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I second, thrid and forth that...

C'mon, it's not like these games are expensive. Frankly I think it's pretty bloody low that people pirate ~$1 games to begin with.

Especially considering the cost of the hardware, unless they steal that too!