Universal Thomas Was Alone (by Bossa Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pbb76, May 15, 2014.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This is awesome stuff, simple but amazing at the same time.

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I have this on Vita but I haven't played it yet. I'm glad it's on iOS now and the positive comments are nice to see. :)

3. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    The price is too steep for my blood and I'm all for premium pricing... but a port of a clever platformer isn't closely equivalent with a massive RPG like Avernum or other ports like KotOR and Baldurs Gate.

I can get a better value elsewhere on iOS, unless I'm missing something massive.

4. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    #24 DonnyDJ76, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Are there Game Center achievements? I'd gladly plunk down the $9. Thank you, Redribb0n, for posting the video.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    35 of them.

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    you're welcome. and yes there are 35 of them.

[​IMG]

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I'm wish listing this, mostly because I have it on PS3 and Vita, but I can attest that on those platforms it is a great game, nice learning curve (actually pretty easy in the beginning), and a great art style.

8. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I am sure its worth $9 but So many people are waiting for the price to drop. Kind of proves its a touch steep. I will wait until it drops before i get it as well. Looks great & cant wait to play it, but its just a touch too high on price.

9. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Just finished this one. The music and narration are awesome. I really enjoyed the first 30 levels or so, but after that it felt flat. The puzzles started to get more tedious than enjoyable, and the finicky physics didn't help. The beginning was so promising, but I was glad when it finally ended.

They introduced so many characters that the story became muddied halfway through. Also what is with the last 20 levels having nothing to do with Thomas. Am I missing something?

10. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    What reviews?
    This one?

HAHAHAHA.

OMG the squares and rectangles have names! Even references!

You read it, there's a fantastic story! Most needed!
    Now, do you remember the last time a [most needed/forced/boring] plot nearly entirely killed a platform game by itself?
    Yes, that was Super Paper Mario, yet that one had like a gazillion more things to play with under its coat than Thomas Whatever.

No. They're an emulated D-pad. And like any emulated D-pad without any tactile feedback at all, they simply suck.

Your cat isn't going to spend $8.99 on that. It has more common sense.

[​IMG]

Emotion Engine strikes back.

Or perhaps you want to try this one?

The idiot hasn't even played the game since he doesn't know how to handle the text displays, and after something like a dozen seconds of "game", he claims he loves the art style (what?) and the musick (excuse me? that's music?).
    Only to conclude, one second later, that "you can tell a lotta work was put into this."

[​IMG]
    I'm talented, I know, thx.

There. It took me about 2 to 3 minutes to bring you that: about 8 seconds to load photoshop, 15~20 seconds to produce the "art", then the rest was spent on deciding where to save this crap on my computer, then upload it and finally copy the link here.

Now that I've debunked these silly reviews, let me give my opinion so we settle this once and for all.

We're essentially dealing with an overhyped pretentious pseudo game with some "narrative" (to compensate for the lack of real stuff to do) that makes hipster wet. Even the trailer fails at promoting anything worthy. It is absolutely unoriginal, insanely bland and utterly basic on the visual side. Yet it gets heralded as gorgeous and whatever nonsense. Just effing primitives with real time sharp shadow tracing and most basic, crappy particle effects.
    You don't need anything close to a retina screen for that.

The idea that this product even became a success of some kind really speaks volumes about the level of quality we get these days in the video game industry, as we're stuck between AAA and pretentious BS like that.
    So nope, not worth it. Wait for it to fall below 0.99 $.

Now, do you want a real, fun and engaging platformer? Spare both your time and precious money and go try Mario bros on a NES emulator (or any copycat version available in flash) and tell me what you thought of it.
    If you're looking for more puzzles, try out another game called The Lost Vikings.

11. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    All that aside, I'm really enjoying it. Sorry.

12. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#32 Baracus, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    So, I'm trying to work out if you actually bought it or not? Is this a real review or just based on what you "feel" without actually playing it?

Is it buyers remorse?

I'm not saying I agree or not, I haven't played it or even watched any video - just asking...

13. chamillion205

chamillion205 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    hotel cook
    BIRMINGHAM
    The only downfall to this game is the asking price. I want the game on ios, the only problem for me is I own the psn version, which if you are like me, u don't want to pay for the same game at a higher price. That being said.... If you have never played this game on pc or psn and this is the only outlet in which u can experience this game, PLEASE BUY IT. However if u already own a copy, you may want to wait for a sale

14. chamillion205

Jul 22, 2011
    hotel cook
    BIRMINGHAM

This game is successful because of the story, the level of friendship these "characters" have. They all have personality, while it may not be physically shown on a face or emotion, it's there. The soundtrack is simply amazing. I'll agree with u on the graphic point, but this game is the farthest thing from a graphical game because it's not about the look.

15. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#35 Bronxsta, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Have you played the game? The tone of your comments makes it seems like you haven't.

So if that's the case, we're essentially dealing with juvenile pretentious pseudo impressions designed solely to talk shit about something they've never experienced (to compensate for having not actually played the game and not being able to grasp the idea that people enjoy things they don't).

What makes Thomas Was Alone good is how the developer makes you invested in this story about shapes. How their personalities and relationship develops over the game. The narrative and gameplay go hand in hand, offering "single player co-op"-style mechanics as you figure out how to use the shapes together and complete challenges they couldn't overcome alone

The appeal goes beyond graphics or other games "having more stuff to do". Well for those who like minimalist or abstract art styles, you'll certainly like TWA. The appeal is how the developer blends gameplay and story to tell an engaging narrative about shapes

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Having started to play the PC version, this is exactly true.

Graphics don't have to be Infinity Blade caliber to be a good game.
    It's execution, narrative and gameplay that make a great game.

17. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    #38 HelperMonkey, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    -

Ever play Atari, Commodore, et al. when you were young? There is a nostalgia factor here.

There is also a minimalist experiment here, based on the question of what really makes a video game a video game, as well as how and why they can effect us.

Aside from all of that, most who have played it have genuinely enjoyed it. Isn't that what gaming is about? What we have here is apparently a fun little game that people like. If it involves them emotionally, all the better. And if they decide that they're having fun despite the game's simplicity, maybe it will make them think about just what it is that they value in a game.

And by the way, the line "Now that I've debunked these silly reviews, let me give my opinion so we settle this once and for all," is not only naive and monstrously egotistical, but it formally qualifies you as a class-A D-Bag. Good work.

18. chamillion205

Jul 22, 2011
    hotel cook
    BIRMINGHAM
    I'm glad u agree. This is a great game. About friends, and a few none friends lol.

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014