iPad This wave of high quality games has been going for two weeks?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by arta, Feb 27, 2009.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    How long will it last? :(

2. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    I think it has ended.

3. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    Some high quality games have been submitted and are yet to come, including Hill Billy and Oregon Trail, and a few others I can't remember at this time.

4. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Let's Golf is coming next week as well which I am happy about

5. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Let's hope it will never stop and we will always have something to look forward to on weekly basis.

6. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    My wallet says "Ouch I'm hurting".

7. Justom

Justom Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Let's Golf! Sigh..but I'm almost out of money for now...

8. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Alpine racers.

9. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  10. Vikram

Vikram Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Just can't wait for Oregon Trail. It loooks so colorful!

11. Spitfire3775

Spitfire3775 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Earth
    The next games for release that are big are :

Prey
    Quake 3
    Doom
    Oregon Trail
    anything from Ngmoco or Chillingo
    and Jakooistra's new game

12. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Quality games will be coming every night for the foreseeable future. I know I have atleast one quality game for every day since the app store opened

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah but lately folks have been stepping their game up. I used to go crazy over Hangman, Skybound and Powerboat, now games like iDracula, Sentinel, Shooter, and upcoming games like Oregon Trail, Dark Raider and Real Racing make these games look like jokes.

14. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    the quality of games coming out recently certainly is a rise above a lot of the shite thats out there. it's exciting to see and to wait for. i'm especially looking forward to the next xplanes. Sonic the hedgehog will be fantastic when it finally arrives too (when ever that will be).
    Although, i'd still like to see a lot more lites - zen bound and sway for example.

But why is this? because the technology hasn't changed.

it must be because there's more and more devs jumping on the train and giving us more and more games, ergo by law of averages the more choice we get there must be some decent games churned out. it looks like devs are putting a lot more pride and effort into their products, even though i doubt it'll ever be that commercially viable for them.

it's good to see

15. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Not just more developers, but more open discussions between themselves side the NDA was lifted. Also they get a better idea of where the hardware's limits are and go as far as it can. It's like on PS3 or Xbox, the hardware is constant but they strive to squeeze every ounce of efficiency out of it.

16. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

Probably as the market becomes more fertile and the developers have more experience with the SDK, they'll have the desire and skill to make higher and higher quality products. When the market was brand new, it was risky to pour a lot of money into it. Now it's at least proven that you might make a ton of money. The only real unknown left is how to make sure your game will hit that particular note that causes it to jump up towards the top of the Top 100 to rake in the big bucks.

17. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    i'd be curious what these 'big bucks' are though. considering the amount of money put into the project (ie, possible developer wages, office rent, general development costs etc etc) offset against a couple of thousand sales/downloads at maybe $1 each doesn't sound 'big bucks'. even doubling or tripling the app price still doesn't sound 'big bucks'.

18. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    iShoot was bought 250,000 times while it was at No.1 I believe at $2.99 a game

Apple take 30% of that and I know for a fact hardly any money was put into developing the game so Ethan has made over $500,000 to this day

19. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I think most indie devs work on projects at home in their spare time. I seriously doubt anyone would have purposely setup an office just for iPhone programming!!! It's only the big traditional devs like Sega or EA who have to worry about big developmental costs, and probsblywhy they're rallying for Apple to set a Premium Tier, so they can charge higher. Not that they couldn't charge $20 for NFS anyway, it's just that they want to ensure that this Premium Tier gets high visibility, which prevents their games getting lost behind the Top50 if sales ever decline.

20. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Not true, lots have gone down the very serious route of development. "Indie" doesn't neccessarily mean hobbyist.

From the developer forum role call we can see a very large number of developers (here at least) are ex-console developers. Mortgages and dev equipment isn't free ya know :)