Universal This War of Mine [+ "The Little Ones" DLC] (by 11 bit studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sash-O, Jul 15, 2015.

1. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    How do you talk to them?

I've a case of depression whereby one of my lads has just sat down and refused to move. Admittedly this was after killing two pensioners for some food so it's understandable really......

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    #162 dreadnok, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Thank you for saving me from Fallout Shelter

3. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Where is the character creation and scenario mode?

4. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    1.3 adds character creation,scenario mode and 2 new small locations,ios is at 1.2.

I really hope that they will add some kind of a sniper hideout location that is really dangerous because it is under heavy protection.

5. What am I missing here? I played for about 30 minutes but I'm not really getting into it. I expected some really emotional experience and I'm just bored. Can someone enlighten me?

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    You have to be receptive to the theme in general, and not in a "I'm ready to feel now", more in a way that lets you be invested in the struggle of the game characters and the NPCs. They will say things here and there that might just be passed off as flavor text but if you're willing to be immersed and invested you'll get more out of it. At its core it's a survival sandbox thing where you're managing your resources and personnel, scavenging, handling random events. That base game isn't something that is hugely innovative, but if you invest yourself into the theme and the presentation of the game you'll get more out of it.

It's stuff like killing a bodyguard to steal his shotgun, and then you notice someone running down the stairs to check. You ready yourself for combat, but it's just a woman who takes the fallen man into her arms, saying "No, this can't be happening". You've done a bad thing, and the game tells you as much. But in simple game terms maybe it wasn't a bad decision, you got the shotgun and maybe the hit to your morale isn't that bad.

And there's also the background noise which you have to be willing to translate into the backdrop that the devs actually want you to see. You're never really shown how the conflict starts, or whats truly going on outside for the most part. You have to fill in a lot of gaps, much in a way you would with a book.

However, in the end it's a matter of taste. It's entirely possible that the kind of storytelling or engagement present here isn't something that works for you. I would say persevere till the end of your current run and reevaluate.

7. I'm not really that into the collecting resources part of it. It's feeling like a more serious version of Fallout Shelter to me. I'm kind of just waiting for something to happen.
    I think all three of them will die soon, anyway, because they finished all their food and scavenging ends up in the same place every night. Is that how it's supposed to be? They're just going back to the same burning house each night.

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    More locations should open up. The resource and personnel management is at the heart of the "game" portion of the experience, so if you're not into that it will definitely not be something for you. It's not entirely a gamebook in which you're constantly reacting to events. There can be downtimes during the day when you have very little to do. But you generally want to plan and get your strategy right during those hours.

It's entirely possible you got a shitty seed, give it another shot with a different run. But yes, it's very much like Don't Starve or any other survival sandbox in terms of resource management. However, it's many magnitudes deeper and better than Fallout Shelter.

9. I'm uploading video. Maybe you can tell me if my game is what I should be expecting from it?
    Right now, I feel like I'm forcing myself to play just to see if it grabs me. I could easily walk away right now and not give it another thought.
    With all the hype, I expected something that would grab me right away and have my crying in a fetal position.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I'll check it out later in the day and let you know then. Some of the other regulars should also be able to help you in the meanwhile.

11. #171 AppUnwrapper, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Ok thanks. I'm going to bed soon anyway. But here's my video (I clearly misunderstood what I might need for scavenging the first night and started with a mostly full bag).

12. veryggyy

veryggyy Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    #172 veryggyy, Jul 19, 2015
    I see, one of my guys come back from outside in the morning. The game will be continued the progress
    I hope that when leave the game ,I enter the game again,I touch continue button, the game will be continued my last progress. I think it's a easy job for dev!@@

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #173 Talbs, Jul 19, 2015
    So I'm up to day 9 so far. I have to admit this game is quite engaging. But in my experience so far, if I were to break it down, it seems like it's all about gathering the required stuff to tend to whatever needs your guys have. So far that's basicslly all I'm doing, and struggling at even that for sure!! There's a lot to manage all at once. Before long you start to consider where your next night run will be to, at the expense of not gathering enough or any of some other part you need badly. That and some runs are more dangerous than others...which guess what, it's always the ones with the good stuff.

In a way, and I know this gets thrown around quite a bit, it's sort of like an FTL, in terms of micromanaging your guys to keep them and the entire ship going.

Definately, as has been said lately, this needs either more auto save, or a save button perhaps appearing after certain times, and not just every new day. Since its on "mobile" devices, and I use that term loosely, it's quite frustrating to spend the whole day doing tasks, and then having to put the "mobile" device down, quit and loose all that progress.

All up, pretty neat, though Yep, quite depressing.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    You get a save after each day, and runs don't take so much time. As others, I'm not missing an autosave option as much as in other games, but if devs added it, it would be quite welcome.

15. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Fantastic game. I'm guessing that everyone who wants to take advantage of the devs very generous sale have now at least bought it if not downloaded and played it? The last thing we need is another bunch of self entitled gamers bemoaning the games actual price point.

16. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    The reason I bought this game is because it's simple 10/10 game and I played it on my MacBook. So I feel like to support the devs by buying it on iPad plus playing it whenever you go is simply awesome and this game will keep you hooked everytime.

17. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Don't even compare fallout shelter to this masterpiece,this is not your regular "base management" game.

18. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    U can only talk to them when they have the icon above there head

19. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    U are doing everything rite u unlock more things when u upgrade ur benches maybe this is just not for u and that's fine at least I supported the dev and the game #

20. s4r3th

s4r3th Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Hope the devs read this..but i occasionally encounter a bug. When i opened the inventory when i scavenge, sometimes i cant close it or tap anything..its just stuck on the screen with the "thud" sound..

Great game overall..tried playing it on my pc, but time limitations, now on my ipad i can play it anywhere..